CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They sure do like chicken. What I find works great for crawfish bait is catfish parts. The head, guts, all the throwaway stuff from cleaning them. I chuck that in the trap and they go nuts for it. So, when we catch catfish, I take all the parts and put them in a ziplock in the freezer for my crawfish bait. Waste not, want not!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
@AClark around here most like to use chicken livers for catfish bait....I however, prefer gizzards. I but them and freeze them, thaw, refreeze, thaw, refreeze, and thaw then use...they can't get it off the hook and ya can't sling it off either...:)

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's why I don't like using chicken livers, it comes off too easy and the smell after it has sat in the sun half the day, good Lord!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well it is a bit windy today, and suppose to be gusting 20-40mph later this afternoon. We have rain slated for later this evening and pretty much all day tomorrow. I know if ya have seen 1, ya have seen them all....but here is a pic just to prove and document the job done...
IMAG1979.jpg ....so, it is ready for gates and fence....:celebrate :weee:weee
I know there is a bit left to go, but there will be help with the fence, so it won't be All on me to get it done. I feel like it is on the "Downhill Slide" since it all started many months ago. :)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, we ended up with .4" of rain today, and just guess who had just a Wonderful day???....yep....IMAG1982.jpg IMAG1983.jpg ....they just love to "Sift" things with those bills. It is kinda funny, the "Dotties" will fluff it all up in the morning, and the ducks pack it down in the afternoon....:gig
Just a little while longer and there will be some fairly major changes taking place for all of the animals and us.I have decided to separate the ducks and chickens.....turning the present house to All chicken....and, now that I have a better idea about ducks, I will make them a separate area. It certainly won't be very elaborate, or expensive....a couple of CPs bent into a hoop hut with a low sheet of plywood as the floor.

I wanted to let all those that a re dealing with Sn**, that we are doing all we can for ya here....but, this is as close as we get to seeing "Snowballs"....
IMAG1984.jpg ....:plbb
This next one goes back to the yr 2000, it is a patch of oregano that we planted when the flower box was new, and it is still growing and spreading....it is starting to leave out too...
IMAG1986.jpg ....itis really good....and, ducks and chickens Love it and is a natural strengthener for their immune systems. Guess that's about it for the day around here....oh, yeh.....this is what is underneath the hen-bit and winter forage.....
IMAG1987.jpg ....Joyce cut some with the push mower the other day to cut the blooms down. I have to get to cutting, because the bermuda and dalis grass will get thick pretty quick...:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just 5 is all....3....4'...and 2....12'....I wanted to put in a few more, but that meant digging more Holes and poles...so, I whittled it down to that. I decided to go with using "H" braces for several reasons....but the overall main reason is strength. When ya have climbing animals....I just can't get it out of my head that a chicken or goat won't climb and jump the fence with a floating brace....or a predator if outside the wire. I even "X" each one, because of water flow in the field...and the 40-60' oaks that the others are under. We are picking up limbs, branches, and twigs almost everyday....more when it is storming. So, since I am doing less each yr, I wanted to build it as long-lasting as possible for me now, cause I don't know if I'll be able to next yr or not. I hate repairing things....:)

Last edited:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought we had planned for adequate gates but I'm already planning on going back and adding more. I'm ordering some electric netting to test in our current pasture to see how that could work for us. The ram we are getting is staying in that now so he is used to it.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know "lots of gates" ends up being "not enough gates" (I will have that problem), just seemed like several really close together in that one picture - 3 H-braces means at least 2 gates just in that area. Wiring is likely the LEAST amount of work in all of fencing, so adding an "unneeded side" isn't all that big a deal.

If I find there will be too much frost movement of my floating brace on the latch side of the gate on the west fence, I might have to convert it to an H-brace.