CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
31311-46fb81982282b1555883e290126a5f50.jpg

I know you tried to explain how this thing worked when I was there Fred, but a picture really is worth a thousand words. Now I "get it" :D

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce the reason ya don't see the Tpost is, since the goats like to rub along the fence, the Tpost will be on the outside of the fence...not the inside. This is because the fence will receive more pressure from the inside rather than from the outside. I didn't want to "Thread" the fence behind them, but in front of the wood post, so I will drive them with some pressure on the fence, but before it is tight and ended. Plus, it is something that greybeard stated in another thread about getting posts lined up.....he stated that a stretched fence shows ya exactly where the post is to go, without using rope, lines, or other ways of marking the fence line. It is for all those reasons that I haven't driven any yet....:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Latestarter I did have ya in mind when I took the pics, so ya could "See" it in use. Glad that it helped, I'd have done a video, but posting would have been impossible, because I still haven't figured out the link thing with this phone.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You might want to install 16' gates for truck or tractor traffic. I have a 12' gate going into the barnyard and the gatepost has been snapped...it is sporting a T-post support right now...... a 16' is in the plans....

^ This. My parents have one gate that is so narrow my dually barely fits through it, and I cracked my mirror on it trying to back up because my rear fenders weren't going to fit. You should have seen me getting their 16 ft horse trailer out that gate with my truck...I rubbed the trailer tires on the railroad tie. I didn't have much of an option though, it's at an angle and narrow, better than rubbing the fenders I guess!

The big thing there is, that's the gate leading into the corrals and the feed barn, so there's no getting around not going through it. We usually load horses in the pasture before the gate, but the stud we were moving wasn't being cooperative. Moral of the story, don't put small gates where a truck and trailer might have to go in! lol

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
For entrance gates off a road..do yourself a favor and inset the gate. Most of the time, unless one is pulling wide ag equipment like a combine or hay baling/mowing equipment, a 12' gate is ok. 14' gate is better but the real reason gate posts get hit is there isn't room for the driver of the vehicle to get his truck and pulled load lined up straight with the gate opening.
In addition, I hate having to leave 1/2 my trailer or all my truck and trailer sitting out in the middle of the public road while I go open the gate. Same with exiting and pulling out on to the roadway. I don't like to pull out on the road and then have to get out leaving the truck blocking the road while I close the gate.
I find this problem especially true in residential areas and backyard type farms where the fence runs close to the paved road. Even with a 16' wide gate opening, if there isn't room for you to get lined up strait with the opening, there is still a likelihood the trailer will hit the gate post when leaving or entering.
This is a fancy example, but you can see what they have done here to allow a long vehicle to enter easily. The actual fence is in the extreme foreground out of picture.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4c/35/31/4c3531dcfa0a6bf5796e41a5deefa22b.jpg

Do this:
inset gate.jpg

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Having been a OTR Big-rig driver, I'm certainly aware of the lack of consideration of turning allowances and the overall length that straightening out takes. Any docks and warehouses built prior to the '70s was made for 42' trlrs, not 53'. You'd be flabergasted at some of the spots pencil pushing idiots wanted me to wiggle and finesse into for pickup or delivery. That is why the 2-12' gates are a straight pull-thru, with the one having plenty of room to swing and straighten to enter. It isn't for an 18wheeler, but a pickup with trlr will have no problem. This is in the goat area, so it isn't made for big animals, those areas that will have larger animals will have larger access for larger vehicles and equipment. There is even a 28' driveway off the road to turn in on, because I would bring the rig and trlr home and park it for time off. So, I am in total agreement with y'all on the suggestions. @greybeard I have been in both of your scenarios many, many times and it is unsafe and very irritating....one was around Houston and another up in Grapevine. I had to center the rear tandems to cross the drive as I backed in off the road, with the outside tires off the concrete drive, because they had no turn around room by the bldg. I really like your set-up and gate there....took some sizeable trees to make those posts, I tell ya.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I too have muscle spasms in my back (and everywhere) so just a few words. Epsom salts in a hot bath.
That does sound extremely good....except for 1 thing....I'm 6'2" and it has been a really long time since I could lay in a tub, if the chest is in the water...the legs are sticking up the wall close to the shower head....or, if the legs are in the water...I'm sitting straight up. I only take showers, but I use the 40gals of Hot water....140° until it isn't warm anymore. :)

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What Grey posted is exactly how my parents front gate is. You can pull a full tractor trailer in front of the gate without hanging out in the road. It is super nice, since you have to make a left into their place most of the time and people try to pass you while you're turning and other stupidity.

You're almost a foot taller than I am and I don't fit in the bath-tub to soak either, my legs hang out. You need a hot tub to get your soak on.