1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. To geld or not to geld? That is the question
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by CntryBoy777, Sep 17, 2016.

1. May 19, 2017
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

One of my suppliers baled 400 round bales or wheat/rye hay. I had never seen wheat hay.
    The goats love it, but only eat the top of it.

2. May 19, 2017
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master

We had some of those grass carp in a place we rented outside Memphis. My son was casting a shallow running lure one day and snagged one of the carp. We had a two man paddle boat and the son let that thing pull him around for quite awhile. The carp finally got up into the shallows and our neighbor and I grabbed it so we could weigh it. 94 pounds and bigger (at least longer) than the paddle boat.

CntryBoy777 likes this.
  3. May 19, 2017
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

Be sure to "cure" it real good. Makes a big difference in making them last.

CntryBoy777 likes this.
  4. May 19, 2017
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

When Dad put them in there, there were 10. The past few yrs I have consistently counted 5 of them, they are Huge. I have never hung one but I know it would be quite the battle. When ya get close to them with the boat they will sure swirl the water and startle ya a bit.
    Yeh, @OneFineAcre I ususally burn 2 times in it before cooking anything and learned a long time ago to allow the coals to burn completely with each time ya cook on it. Usually wipe down the grates with vegatable oil and the first thing I always cook is burgers. Gotta get the New taste knocked off of it....:)

5. May 19, 2017
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

I use the Vegetable Oil spray like Pam
    I spray the entire inside of the grill and then burn a hot fire in it.
    I need to clean mine up real good an do it again.

CntryBoy777 likes this.
  6. May 20, 2017
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

There simply has not been any progress made around here the past few days....my fence guy just hasn't shown up for work....:th:bow....he claims the heat and humidity is just too much for him....what a Wimp! I can remember back :old.....:duc.....guess I ought not talk about myself in such a fashion....;)
    However, in my defense the past 2 evenings the poor "Dotties" have been panting on the roost with this suffocating humidity....at least the ducks cool off in the hose spray while cleaning their dishes. We've had threats of rain, but just a couple of drops, not even enough to wipe the feed bkts out for the goats. After all this mess gets outta here the temps are suppose to be in the 70s....I sure hope so, want to get that darn fence done. :)

Latestarter likes this.
  7. May 20, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Well, as I said in my journal, it's (rain line) about an hour or so away from you and spreading out so you could get some good stuff. Hang in there!

CntryBoy777 likes this.
  8. May 20, 2017
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

Yeh, it's getting darker here, but no rain yet. I don't think there'll be any severe weather in it, but sure looking forward to a break in the humidity.

9. May 20, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Nope. Rabbits can pop right through the 2x4 inch wire.

CntryBoy777 likes this.
  10. May 22, 2017
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Skinny rabbits? Haven't seen any rabbits lately. There was the one back on Feb that I then found dead in the little barn. Another after that was seen frequently in the lower part of the big barn where the alpacas and chickens live. Guess it either got stupid and hit in the road or a fox got it. Kinda weird, we had a lot of rabbits last year. Seemed to be a new baby every few weeks for months. Now, 0 rabbits. Still see the @#$%^ woodchucks though.

CntryBoy777 likes this.