CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love black snakes most of the time. they have made me stop gathering eggs in the dark tho..reach in the nest box and feel something warm and smooth instead of cool and round. gives one pause to reflect.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don't have much problem with kingsnakes eating eggs, but those gray rat snakes are a very different story, they are also black and yellowish...but they have a pattern to their colors....more black than yellow...and they get 8-10' long and will eat every egg they can get, up to 18-20 hen eggs.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aren't Cottonmouths very venomous? Any rattlesnakes that get seen by me get death by shovel or shotgun, I don't cut them any slack at all. We have King snakes but they are banded, yellow and black.

Husqvarna also makes Viking sewing machines, or at least they used to.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cotton-mouths are venomous, but not extremely potent. They will usually avoid ya, but they have a curious nature and will check out things in their territory. The only time they are really aggressive is when they are breeding, which is a few wks after they come out from hibernation. That is when they are best avoided. Most water snakes, whether venomous or non-venomous are a bit more aggressive than most others that live mainly on land. I have fished in boats around them and have never had an incident with any, but I have avoided areas that they are in....they have a distinct smell and when ya catch wind of it you'll usually see one close by.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is commonly known as a puff adder, is actually a hog-nosed snake. The true puff adder is a African snake and isn't found in N America. The hog-nosed is a non-venomous snake that mainly eats toads. When disturbed they put on a vicious display and will inflate the skin around the head and will rasp their scales together making a loud hissing noise, if they are still messed with at this point, they will roll over on their back and play dead. I had one as a pet for 6-7yrs, this is how I know. They are really good snakes, but I understand most people are fearful of snakes. I used to be, that's why I learned about them and had 3 as pets. So, I don't try to change others feelings about them, just share some info. If one is unsure it is always best to treat it as if it is dangerous, just in case it truly is....:)

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a hog-nose snake get in our house one time - that was fun, lol. MY DH is not snake-friendly so over the years I've tried to educate him that not all snakes are 'bad' snakes.

A couple years ago we had a big rat snake in our quail pen. He'd eaten a quail and was too fat to fit back out through the wire so DH called me to get him out. I called him a big ol' chicken and proceeded to extract the snake. The snake wasn't happy and struck at me a couple times. DH was standing right behind me and when I yanked my hand back to not be bitten - I smacked DH right in the nose, lol! I told him that's what you get for being a wussy! :lol:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is so funny FEM!!....:gig
There are plenty of those rat snakes here, I try to relocate them if it is possible, but I have also killed them because they seem to keep coming back for more eggs. I try not too, but sometimes it gets tiring.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
How many holes did DH put in the house with the shotgun??
He climbed up on the couch and screamed like a little girl, lol. Ok, not really - but he doesn't know a venomous snake from a non-venomous so he stands back while I checked it out.

I grew up in the country and DH is a city boy. We used to play with hog nose snakes as a kid - so cool to watch 'em puff up! This guy lived to see another day. :)