CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can remember the excitement in the family when we got a HI-FI or High Fidelity record player! This was way before Stereo sound. And Chubby Checkers put out his smash hit, "The Twist" We had it on a 45 and I think we wore it out.
Same here.
Hi-Fidelity was such a NBT, that some of the players came with a record that showed the difference between HiFi and 'regular' recordings/equipment. Ours did anyway.
The old 78s from our crank Victrola sounded like crap on it tho. Grooves were wrong for them and they sounded scratchy and dull.

For us, the 1st 45 I remember us having was Ballad of Davy Crockett. Mid or late 50s.
I became pretty much an audiophile after I went in the service, especially during my 2 year stay in Guantanamo. I just HAD to have what was then, the ultimate in sound. A Teac play/record reel to reel cabled to an aux amp and pre-amp, a $300 am/fm/sw tuner ordered from Navy Exchange, and good set of JBL tower speakers.
Nowadays, I rarely even turn the radio on in my truck..

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Speaking of the boys, I was vacuuming the pool yesterday morning and something in the woods had them totally distraught. They were by the solar panels and kept looking and panic running, then looking. I went out but didn't see anything. Late in the afternoon they were outside the north end of the barn and Laddie was alerting. Unusual since Teddy most often alerts. They were looking toward the NW. Again I went out but didn't see anything.

Did you ever see or find out what was in the woods that had them troubled?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you ever see or find out what was in the woods that had them troubled?
Nope but they are still nervous. Rarely go far from the north end of the barn where their door is and the times I've been out they are looking toward the woods. Not alerting so I think whatever was there isn't at the moment but they are expecting it might be.

You can see some of these portable RCA auto turntables here:
Oh the prices!! Can you imagine what someone that bought one new paid for it? And what they would think of its current value?

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something that I have come to realize about some of that old stuff that has value is, it is only dicussed as value until ya try to sell it....then, ya find the Real value isn't quite so high. If ya don't know someone involved, or are personally involved in that "World"....then, ya are at the mercy of chance in finding a buyer that will pay that "Top Dollar"....and even then, each want a slice of your "Pie". It is like @greybeard has said....the value of anything is what another is willing to pay for it....:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I went out to mow field2 today, the "Realfeel" temp was 113°....when I ended, 3hrs later it was 106°....I never felt a single degree drop, I tell ya.....and field1 is needing cut yet again....with the moisture we are getting I'm not sure I could keep up with it if I fertilized it....:)
I was able to find some perfect wire to use in the garden as a poultry barrier.....I was at the CoOp yesterday about saw some rolls of 18"x150' poultry wire they had collecting dust on their need to get rid of shelves...so, I got 3 rolls to line the bottom of the CPs with....but first we are going to free them from their pens this next week.....:ep :celebrate.....can ya tell I'm excited?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I waited till after evening goat chores to mow the grass inside the fence in my back yard. Even after 2 days of dry weather and with breezes, it was very wet... It clumped pretty bad coming out the discharge chute. I mowed the front yard and driveway yesterday evening after chores and basically finished right after dark. Had to use the tractor lights to see the final couple of passes. Aside from all the rain we've had the past week, causing the tall grass to remain wet late into the day from dew, you're right... It's hellish hot and humid out there. Both pastures need mowed and I'm not looking forward to the task. Although that will be less taxing than pounding T-posts, I do need to get those finished up while the ground is still moist. They go in so much easier.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sure have found that taking "Advatage" of the elements presented, is so much better than fighting against them....:)
I really need to get to the back 2 fields, too....before they regrow from the bush-hogging the neighbor did a couple of wks ago. My goal this hear has been to disrupt the seed cycle, and fortunately it has happened except for the sumac and JG. The bahia, bermuda, and dalis has all seeded....but few dock, goldenrod, and others blowing in the air......:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We cut the big 40lb melon today and it is sooo sweet and good. Joyce put some of it in the freezer, so there will be some slushes or smoothies in the future. This coming thursday is when we have a really decent break coming from the heat and humidity.....it is suppose to last thru the wknd, so we'll be busy catching up and cleaning pens out...ducks, chickens, and goats. Have to work on the access doors for the birds to get out, hooves to trim and grass to mow. If the weather continues to be cool for a while, I'll crank up the new chainsaw and get started dropping some stuff around here. There is enough already down that needs cutting to burn to be busy a couple of days.
On a side note....I'm thinking about selling the trlr....it only depreciates in value every yr, so whatever I can get out of it can be applied elsewhere....plus, if something happens to me first, then Joyce wouldn't have to try and deal with the situation.....so, what do y'all think?....(seeking wise counsel). I just know that my sister can be difficult to deal with....and she knows she can't railroad me, but if Joyce were here without me, then she would or could be difficult and take the trlr from her, because it is in my dad's name....and she has power of attorney....just another loose end to settle....:)