CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe we are going to stick with goats....if I were younger and in better health it would be a very tempting venture to explore, but there is still much to learn about what we already have without adding more to that list.....:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree....adding a few mouths to already existing animals and routine is easily adjusted to, but having sheep would require different feed, care, and problems to tend to....not to mention separate housing. So, tho I wanted sheep from an early age, I will just settle for meat goats.....:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are suppose to start getting a break tomorrow with these temps and humidity and be in the 70s this wknd....even tho there is a whole lot to get done, it sure will be nice to get started on some of it. I've been working on the cage for Soli to be with the other ducks....but, between the heat, humidity, and skeeters I tend to take more and longer "Breaks", so it isn't completed just yet, but should be tomorrow. As I was gathering materials for a portion of it today, I found a wasp nest, but luckily avoided any contact with them....but, it made me adjust to an alternative material to be used. Oh, I got the EZ goat holder in the mail today, so I'll have to work hooves into the wknd schedule....it will be a really big help, since Joyce can't assist very well. The squirrels are cutting acorns....pronounced acurns here....so, the goats are on the hunt....like hounds sniffing a trail.....:lol:.....saw something really funny today, Cheetos weighs about 15-18lbs and 3 ducks chased him out of the fenced area and forced him up a post. I was laughing cause after he climbed the post they all looked at each other and strutted off. I told Joyce, they can chase a cat up a post, but let a chicken run all over them....go figure....:)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
The squirrels are cutting acorns....pronounced acurns here....so, the goats are on the hunt....like hounds sniffing a trail
I haven't seen the Old Farmer's Almanac yet or NOAA's prediction for how severe the winter will be, but from what I've heard from the persimmon watchers, it's going to be rougher for the south this winter, tho it won't have to be bad to exceed the little bit of cold we saw last winter.
(If you are unfamiliar with the persimmon seed thing, here's an example of how it works.
Winter%2B2016.png

a little more explanation:
http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...eeds-predict-strange-winter-weather/74460654/
I don't put much faith in it tho.

Last edited:

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
we have 3 breeds of chickens- Welsummer, Blue Andalusian and Golden Laced Wyandotte-gives a nice mix of egg colors :) and we have had these breeds for at least a few years now. Given the overhead predators we have here, the chickens have an enclosed area to hang out in.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm going to have to go look at persimmon seeds now. We have some producing trees in one of the pastures and the sheep love them. They eat them, seeds and all. The dogs love them too and gobble them up. That's how Parker swallowed a hickory nut last year that lodged in his small intestine, requiring surgery to get it out. :\

So I'll have to beat the dogs and sheep to them, to get a look at the seeds. What fun!