CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
They did Bruce, they were dancing around my feet as I was shaking it out over the ground and vot some in the hair on their back....:lol:....I just said to myself that they would spread it some where inside the fence....:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got a new pool for the ducks yesterday....one of the larger kiddie pools for $15......we set it up this morning before we let anything out of their pens and we moved Soli's cage from the garden to the duck yard..... IMAG2662.jpg
IMAG2663.jpg ....so Soli is being intergrated into the flock a bit more. We will probably put him with the flock in another week....I believe he'll be big enough that he won't be able to slip thru the 2"x4" openings in the fences and too big to be trampled by the others. The ducks stayed far away from the new pool until I went out and called them to me and started splashing my hand in the water....they finally came up to the edge and started billing and drinking from it, but wouldn't get in....IMAG2665.jpg
I got 6 bags of rocks for steps, I stacked 3 inside and 3 outside. Whenever I'm out and around the animals they always expect my attention....so, since I was talking and encouraging the ducks to get in....here comes the goats wanting rubbin', pellets, or me to find acorns for them. Well, that makes the ducks move away.....so, I had to walk the goats away from the area and back towards their pen. As I was making my way back to the house I was watching the ducks as the cats were snacking on their dish of dry food....cause they had to have their attention too....and guess who was the 1st to jump in the pool?.....yep, Lil Bit she got so Excited that she could actually swim, dive, and float without her feet touching bottom.....tho, they have yet to use the bags of rocks to get in and out, but they are persistent and once they are in they use their wings to fly out over the edge. Lil Bit stayed in the whole time they were at the pool and was so thrilled when she got out that she ran around stretching and flapping her wings standing on tippy-toes....:)
I couldn't get a pic, I was too far away....but here is one of them checking it out as I led the goats away....IMAG2666.jpg

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
They were hatched on May 22nd, which makes them five months old.

According to the lady we got them from told us that the female should start laying eggs at 6 or 7 months. So, I'm assuming they should be mating by 6 months. I'm thinking by January, we should start putting them in the back 8x16' chicken run, with hay in the 4x4' hut, so if she wants to hatch some eggs she can.

When we got them, they were in with some chicks, which whey were very good with. When we put the KC ducklings out, in the corner pen, both geese were very attentive, like they wanted to take care of them. So, I'm thinking they will make excellent parents! :celebrate

I've never done this before, in winter. But, I'm guessing we will gather 6 or so eggs, and keep them at room temp, until we have gathered that number. Then we will place a brood lamp in the hut, so it is warm, until mom starts sitting on the eggs. However, I'm open to suggestions. :hu

Latest posts