CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My husband butchered some Rhode Island Red roosters for someone a few months ago and I have never met such a nasty group of birds in my life! We have a chicken we are pretty sure is a Partridge Wyandotte and we just love her. We saved her from the stew pot because her owners thought she was done laying and she was just so pretty we had to have her. She lays an egg a day!

Good idea with the leaves... I am going to try that with my chickens his fall!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule
Yes, leaves do work very well...I counted this morning and there are 15 oak and sweet gum trees around the pen...so, there isn't any need to go looking for more...about 12-15 of the acres are covered with trees....but, we have never raked all that are just in the yard....LOL...use them as compost in the garden and to cover the ground to keep weeds out...plus, they will insulate plants from cool weather either in a late fall or early spring garden....keeps the ground warmer...so ya can plant earlier than usual....LOL...the easiest way to get them is to get a tarp that you can handle...rake them onto it...grab the corners and drag or carry to wbere ya want em and dump them...if they are heavy and wet....just grab 2corners and walk over the leaves...the tarp will roll em right off....that's the way we do it anyway...LOL!!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just took these for ya @Baymule ....this is just in the vicinity of the pen.... IMAG0859.jpg IMAG0859.jpgIMAG0861.jpg IMAG0860.jpg

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are not called the Lazy A** Acres for no reason....ROTF!!! always looking for the Easy way of doin things around here...and using the natural state of things to our Advantage...if at all Possible...LOL!!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
My husband butchered some Rhode Island Red roosters for someone a few months ago and I have never met such a nasty group of birds in my life! We have a chicken we are pretty sure is a Partridge Wyandotte and we just love her. We saved her from the stew pot because her owners thought she was done laying and she was just so pretty we had to have her. She lays an egg a day!

Good idea with the leaves... I am going to try that with my chickens his fall!
Well, in my research the Wyandottes are suppose to be docile and social...so am hoping for some kinder and gentler birds....there are 2 roos and 11hens...may be the 2 roos will be more focused on each other and leave us alone....otherwise, it will be chicken and dumplins time...LOL!!....the last roo we had attacked me when I wasn't in a good mood....I had a hoe handle in my hand and beat him til he didn't move...I know it wasn't 'Humane'....but, it is a freaking animal....and when attacked I do respond....he was buzzard food....I use to have a temper...I'm better now though...thank goodness!!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haha! Our roo is usually ok. If he gets grumpy my husband goes over and picks him up and cuddles him and plays with his wattle. It makes him so angry, but the embarrassment makes him behave for a few months. We had him upside down in a kill cone once and we spared his life because of his genetics... He's been much friendlier since then!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the trees around your coop. We have lots of trees too and I just let their leaves alone where ever they fall and collect. Our ground is sand. White sugar sand, think beach without the ocean. So I let the leaves return to the soil, it needs it. Besides, city people are so accommodating to rake and bag their leaves, it makes it so easy to fill the coop! LOL

I thought I wanted Delaware chickens. Ordered 50 straight run chicks. WRONG. Meanest durn things ever! Out of 50 chicks we wound up with 10, yup, count 'em TEN pullets. We butchered 32 roosters--every single one of those mean things. Lost 8 of them, mostly them killing each other. I hear Australorps are gentle big chickens and good layers.....next on the list.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My friend has Australorps. He loves them. His roo is super friendly!

I have a few jersey Giants. They're only a few months old so not sure how I feel about them yet. Now thats a big bird! I hear they pig out on grain, if that's the case we'll eat them! But they're supposed to be really friendly also.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the trees around your coop. We have lots of trees too and I just let their leaves alone where ever they fall and collect. Our ground is sand. White sugar sand, think beach without the ocean. So I let the leaves return to the soil, it needs it. Besides, city people are so accommodating to rake and bag their leaves, it makes it so easy to fill the coop! LOL

I thought I wanted Delaware chickens. Ordered 50 straight run chicks. WRONG. Meanest durn things ever! Out of 50 chicks we wound up with 10, yup, count 'em TEN pullets. We butchered 32 roosters--every single one of those mean things. Lost 8 of them, mostly them killing each other. I hear Australorps are gentle big chickens and good layers.....next on the list.
I've heard that too, but after BYC research...we settled on giving these a shot...more interested in their 'Bug Eating' ability and egg laying than meat....but, they are 'Options' if times get tough....never been a hunter, but Love to fish...though I don't prefer to eat them...I grew up Poor, so I know what it is all about....sure Hope we don't get back to those days.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule
We lived in Florida for 6yrs...had a house on 3 acres there and had to deal with 'Sugar Sand'.....so, I understand your Challenges for sure...something we did that helped us a lot was using shredded paper...or newspaper in the bottom of the hole you put a plant in....it will help to hold moisture in the roots....wood chips would also work...whatever is Cheap and Handy for ya....here it is heavy Clay....either Hard as rock or Mushy as a sponge...ya'd need a Jackhammer to dig a hole out there right now....sand is much easier to dig in....but just won't hold together very much...LOL!!...wish we had some Rock around here....locally ya can only get Gravel unless ya pay high dollar at a landscape place...it has to be trucked in.

Latest posts