CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know, I wish that I could do things like others....if something breaks ya replace the part and go on with business....it just doesn't happen that way for me....it seems that fixing things is like chasing "gremlins" and until they are captured and contained, it is an ongoing process of replacing other things that seemingly don't work now either.....here is the latest example of this.....awhile back I mowed the 2 fields and pulled the mower to its spot and turned it off....a couple of days later I was going to cut some more over towards the pond....wouldn't start....tried jumping it off, no go....I started checking it out with the seat safety switch I couldn't make sense of the results, so I took it to the shop and asked the guy about it....he tested it, got the same result and told me it wasn't good....so, $5 later I was on the way home to put it in and start cutting....got it back in, turned the key and nothing....talked to my brother and he said check the fuses....well, I looked and looked and couldn't find them, so he told me that he would come down and look at it.....he did and it took him a bit to find 1 fuse, but he said he thought it could be the starter solenoid....so, he took it off and was testing it, but he disconnected it and pulled it out, before checking it with power running to it....so, he put it back in and tested it....yep it was no good....this means that I have to take it off before taking and matching it up at the repair place....get that done, sit in the seat and it cranked right up.....rode down to the field fence gate and was ready to tackle the grass....reved up the engine and pulled the PTO.....nothing, so back to the house....let it run to charge the battery up some and decided to get off and look to see if there was anytbing going on with the PTO at all.....pulled the knob and it ran....got on and pulled away from the gravel and pulled it again....nothing.....by now I'm getting just a bit perturbed....I tried again sitting still on level ground and it started turning, but I noticed the deck was shaking a bit much.....so, I knew the blades needed replacing and so I dropped the deck to check it.....they were in really bad shape..... IMAG3701.jpg ....I got the blades replaced and scraped the deck, along with greasing and lubricating it....put it back on and gave it a try....same thing....I double checked all the wiring and plugins making sure of good connections....tried, same....went back to the seat switch and the legs on this switch aren't the same as the other switch.....so, a little "redneck" engineering and the "gremlin" was cornered and captured.....:).....now I'm expecting this waterline to fall apart in my hands when I get to changing it out.....it hasn't leaked a drop for 2 days now, but sure ain't gonna push it much longer....:bow

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fred you aren't the only one that runs in to that kind of thing. If I run into something that I'm not sure about, I call in reinforcements. I even have a tractor mechanic that makes house calls for a reasonable price. It usually winds up cheaper than fixing something that I messed up trying to fix. :)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm certainly not gifted when it comes to working on machines and engines, but sometimes the ole pocket dictates that I have to try....this didn't turn out too bad tho....$5 for seat switch, $20 for solenoid, and $40 for the blades....it should get me thru this season anyway....until we get an answer, anyway. We have cooler temps here now, so can at least get some burning done and clean up....really tired of just sitting around....:)