CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
The Red Brand was hung tight but it has some sagging but the high tensile was used for the rest and shows zero sagging anywhere. You can have more space between T-posts also since it is so tight.
As I said, Red Brand (the company) has seen the light, so to speak..and now sells hi tensile wire as well as their traditional low carbon products.
High Tensile and Gaucho are synonomous...all high tensile wire is customarily referred to as Gaucho tho Gaucho is actually a trademarked Bekaert product.

Weight difference? you can see the difference here on Red Brand's own graphic.
RB.jpg

rb2.jpg

I do still have about 800' of the old Red Brand wire, but it's no longer used to contain livestock..just to mark and keep the property line between my lane and the National Forest. I also have 2200' of Red Brand 36" net wire along the roadside of the property. It is a fence in name only and if not for the gaucho HT barbed wire strung in front of it, the cattle would be long gone.

When we built the original perimeter fences on this 124 acres, we put net wire on the front which fronts a public highway. Started using Red Brand 12ga barbed along the sides which separate us from National Forest, but soon switched to using Gaucho. Every strand of Red Brand is sagging and rusty but the 4 Gaucho strands below that one strand of Red Brand is still silver and no rust, it was put up in 1965.
You can always tell a fence that was built from the old Red Brand. Within a very few years it is:
1. Rusty.
2. Sagging badly..it must be re-stretched periodically as it gives and takes badly with temperature changes, as well as sagging from just it's own weight. It has a LOT of stretch to it, meaning it continually gives, until it eventually breaks and this applies to the single strand and the woven/net wire. Every time you re-stretch it, it gets weaker, and smaller in diameter.
3. Usually broken. It does not handle pressure well and sure won't stand to have a big limb or tree on it.

I have nothing against the company Red Brand, but their products IMO, are overpriced and there are simply much better options out there with as good or superior quality..

Last edited:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We were definitely considering the gaucho wire over the red brand. Cost wise there isnt much difference because we can only get gauncho at TSC, so it only saves $10/roll but I'm sure that will add up.

Thanks for all the info @greybeard GB is right the high tensile stuff is much lighter it seems, the Red brand 330ft is almost 200lbs, gaucho is a little over 100lbs so almost half the weight.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am personally, a big 'fan' of Bekaert brand wire of all types. I've had very good luck with it in 15.5ga HT barbed and 12ga HT barbless and it's hinged knot woven wire is what my B-I-L used to fence his whole place for sheep containment. It is (like Red Brand) made in USA.
I have admittedly not used much of their woven wire tho.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got a look inside the boat today.....:lol:
IMAG4194.jpg IMAG4195.jpg
IMAG4196.jpg ...it looks like it is already a "planter"......oh....and I found out today that Gabbie isn't a FB GSD......she flashed me the "Vulcan" hand signal....
IMAG4201.jpg .....she is such a crazy girl!!.....started to "peel" some more of the layers off here....like an onion....found a row of crepe myrtles out there on the western boundary....not sure yet whether they are ours or the neighbors.....but, from the looks of it, it appears to be ours.....oh, there is a rooster that spends the day on our property.....but he is wary of anything strange and stays in the underbrush....not sure if it is an escapee, kicked out, or just left behind.....he certainly doesn't bother us and we keep Gabbie from "trailing" him.....but, she has to look for those "chicken treats" scattered amongst the leaves.....:)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope the crepe myrtles are yours! Can't wait to see what color they are. One of the first things we did was to plant 4 crepe myrtles by the front gate, they are a dark burgundy red color.

That ugly boat has got to go! If you can't get rid of it, you can cut it in pieces with a Sawzall and pack it in the trash a little at a time. You can even cut old tires up in 3 pieces and legally put them in the trash. Our neighbor has one that he plants potatoes in so the gophers don't eat his potatoes. LOL

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I wish to thank All that have contributed their thoughts and assistance on the fencing!!....I went to Tractor Supply and found the rolls of HT Gaucho wire....I stepped up to it and grabbed it....said 1,2,3....and lifted it up off the pallet above my ankles.....:weee....so, it looks like it is a winner!!....it will sure make things much better....so, now I have a goal and direction to shoot for and planning to do....thanks again!!....:)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I wish to thank All that have contributed their thoughts and assistance on the fencing!!....I went to Tractor Supply and found the rolls of HT Gaucho wire....I stepped up to it and grabbed it....said 1,2,3....and lifted it up off the pallet above my ankles.....:weee....so, it looks like it is a winner!!....it will sure make things much better....so, now I have a goal and direction to shoot for and planning to do....thanks again!!....:)

I'm glad that lighter wire will work for you, we are certainly looking forward ot using it as well. I can't wait to see your progress on your property either!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just remember that Gaucho (all HT wire) is a lot stiffer than what you may be used to working with, especially stiffer than welded wire. It can be hard on your hands, making tie offs.
I use a lot of these..they are a bit pricey but are time savers and easy on your hands and fingers.
teegripples..jpg

I doubt I'll ever tie another wire knot on a corner or make a hand splice as long as my gripple contractor tool is working tho you don't need the tool to make connections at the corner or end posts.
(The handles on the contractor tool I have are about twice as long as the one in the video above but mine doesn't have the built-in tensioning meter.)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just remember that Gaucho (all HT wire) is a lot stiffer than what you may be used to working with, especially stiffer than welded wire. It can be hard on your hands, making tie offs.
I use a lot of these..they are a bit pricey but are time savers and easy on your hands and fingers.
View attachment 61834
I doubt I'll ever tie another wire knot on a corner or make a hand splice as long as my gripple contractor tool is working tho you don't need the tool to make connections at the corner or end posts.
(The handles on the contractor tool I have are about twice as long as the one in the video above but mine doesn't have the built-in tensioning meter.)

I have been looking at the gripples to they seem like amazing little things. I found them because we need to re-build our grape arbor and i was looking for something to secure tension wires. I also noticed that gaucho has some field fencing that comes with installed gripples to connect multiple sections. Thank you for posting those videos because I had not heard of the gripple T-clips until just now, I think I am in love with them already :lol: