CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the 'Crazy World' that is better known as The Lazy A** Acres....hopefully, my writing 'Style' won't upset too many here...I've been 'Instructed' about it before.....but, it seems that it is always the other individual that gets to 'Define' as to what is 'Proper' and what isn't.....yes I have an education.....and yes, I can do better, but I am a 'True Southerner' and have always had a bit of a 'Rebellious Sreak'...and have been described as 'Hard Headed' and contrary to 'Society'....most don't seem to get it when I respond 'Good' cause I don't care about being 'Included' with that crowd....we would much prefer to be in the 'Sticks' with our Animals....talking to them and being 'Needed' by them....makes for a much Better 'Way of Life' than having somebody on both sides of us that all ya gotta do is raise the window and 'Spit' and it hits another house/property.....we have 20 acres here with a spring fed pond....it has bream, bass, and catfish in it....but it isn't fenced around the perimeter with anything but rusted barbwire.....so, no freedom to the pond for the ducks, chickens, and goats....we take the goats for 'Walks' back there to give them a good leg stretch...LOL!!....well enough said....need to introduce the 'Gang' to ya.....here's the 'Herd Queen' Star....8yo 100% pygmy doe....
IMAG0805.jpg
....we got her along with 2 wethers because we didn't know anything about goats and knew she could 'Teach' the boys better than we could.....plus, she could teach us too....she had a really bad 'Skiddish' problem....but, is the best behaved that we have....justs Loves getting 'Attention' now from either of us....LOL....this is Lightning he is 16mnths and a boer/pygmy cross....66% pygmy....he is the most vocal and is the property 'Alert Signal' the other goats that 1 or both of us are Outside....or, he will alert us that something isn't 'Right' in their pen and need Help....
IMAG0812.jpg
...there are some more pics of him that will come later he Loves to 'Perform'.....then there is the 'Brute' Comet....now, he is the 'Clown' of the Herd....but most assurredly is the 'Top Rung' of the ladder....he is all about his Belly....LOL!!....
IMAG0600.jpg
....this is him 'Inspecting' the beginnings of the 'Cluck Hut/Quack Shack'....as ya can tell we 'Passed with Flying Colors'...LOL!!....actually I had pressed the button when he was on the Platform, but it snapped when he Jumped....couldn't believe I got that shot....going to end this here for now....but there will be much more to come...LOL!!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well in the literary world it's often praised to write using one's "voice" to show their character. It's evident reading your posts that you are perfectly intelligent and well educated so no criticisms here. Glad you've joined us. I prefer reading what people have to say when they say it their own way.

Your property sounds lovely. Oh and your goats are adorable!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well a 'Big Thanks' to All for the kind words!!....I decided to not leave ya 'Hangin' on the 'Cluck Hut' and 'Quack Shack'...lol....this is what it has whittled down to....took it this morning on my way to the Goats....
IMAG0814.jpg
...still have a bit to do, but has come along to this Point....I have no 'Plans'...just making it up as I go...LOL!!...going to town this next wk to order supplies for delivery for roof and posts for the 'Boundry Fence'....we can't haul it in the mini van...LOL...just gotta get a Pick-Up for my next vehicle...oh, I ran an experiment last Winter on growing forage for the goats to 'Browse'....a mixture of rye grass, rye grain, and crimson clover....here's a pic in the Spring when the clover was in Bloom....
IMAG0814.jpg
IMAG0497.jpg
....most of this field will be inside the boundry and all the animals will free range in it....rye grass and clover did Great...the rye grain not so much....going to use winter peas this yr....now, for the 'Adventure'....I know ya will say how Beautiful this field is....but, there always seems to be a 'Story behind the Story'.....as Spring progressed I waited for the clover to 'Seed'....went to get on the tractor to 'Hawg It' and wouldn't ya know it was Broken....gears on PTO had cracked and put cracks in the cover plate....salvaged the tractor and got a riding mower...but this didn't come about until July....the johnson grass was 'Head High'....I'm 6'2"...LOL!!....so, I had to get my neighbor to 'Knock it Down' for me, so I could mow it....that mower 'Chewed' the same wads of grass for about 4-5 cuttings....it was a Mess and when ya decide to cut it...the Wind just never seems to be from the 'Right Direction'....so, ya end up 'Wearing' at least Half of what ya cut!!....well, it Seems that way....will pick it up a little later...with more Pics ya ain't seen yet...LOL!!!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, time to get a couple more of the 'Gang' introduced...LOL...now if ya don't have grandkids, then ya may not fully understand what I'm about to tell ya....those that Do...ya'll get it right away....being in the 'Sticks' has its drawbacks....'Feral Animals'....people just 'Drop them Off'....cats and dogs mostly....well a female came up one day and Joyce was 'Smitten'....now I had a male and he was getting old...was 9 and strictly an outside cat....he had some bobcat in him....but, I could do most anything with him...outside....so, we decided to have a 'Litter' to have an offspring of his...well to make a long story short...she had 3...all Male....right after she had them...my 'Little Man' got in a tangle with something got wounded and died....now Here is where those Gandkids come in...it was along about this time they were coming for a visit...they live 300 mi away...so, Gramma just had to allow them to 'Name' the cats...so, please Please don't think I had anything to do with it...ROTF!!

This is Ki-Ki....IMAG0828.jpg..and this is Cheetos...IMAG0829.jpg...he is a bit smaller than his Dad...but there are many similarities, though he IS 'Fixed'....but, with these 2 around they keep our area fairly cleared of rodents...except for squirrel...though they get a few of them too...they just Love to leave ya little 'Gifts' here and there...LOL!!....Ki-Ki keeps All other cats Out of her Territory....she most definitely is the 'Yard Queen'....found out that was what a female cat was Called...never knew it b4, makes Perfect 'Sense' too...cause we have an Inside cat too...'Rescued' her from the 'Belly Bag' of a mobile home...came up out of the hole the drain pipe of the tub that is in the subfloor...I tell ya it an Adventure around here...LOL
Here is Calli....IMAG0619.jpg...I'll try to get a 'Head Shot' later...this ia all I have on phone right now....oh yeh, did some 'Whittlin' today...got fencing up around chick/duck pen today....gotta stretch it and adjust...then the gate and we'll be in Business!!....LOL

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Not really a cat person, and wouldn't go out of my way to have one. Having said that, I have no problem at all with a friendly cat that comes up wanting some attention and scratches. Since I'll be having a farm and farm type animals, I won't mind having some barn cats to keep the vermin under control. I'll even feed them, but I'm not going out looking for any.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Getting ready for the 'Weather Break' coming on monday...had Supplies delivered...LOL!!IMAG0831.jpg...just gotta find a Roof out of this....oh, don't worry!!...I grew up with Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs....the Real 'Wooden' ones...LOL!!....things were much Simpler back Then!!....but we are in the 'Here and Now', so we 'Look Forward' to the 'Future' in the 'Preperation' for it.....because, if ya are 'Looking Back' you are just 'Sitting Still'....unaware of what is right 'Outside the Windshield'.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am just fine with your style of writing and I love all the pictures. Being Southern myself, plus being a Texan, I have that slow Southern drawl that marks me anytime I cross the state line, LOL. I write much more intelligently than I speak, the drawl doesn't come out in print. I open my mouth and you'd think I'm a backwards redneck. :lol: maybe I am and I'm just fooling everybody with my grasp of the written language.

Getting the fence up is a BIG DEAL. We bought our place 2 years ago this month and moved into it February 14, 2015. We hit the ground running and built fence, more fence, planted a garden, build a hoop coop, more fence, a 36'x36' barn, a small sheep shed for the sheep we bought, more fence, made a swipe at pasture with rye grass last winter, planted fruit trees, more fence.....did I mention fence? We are still trying to complete our last stretch of fence, but 100* sure took the sap out of us. :lol:

Last August my DH had open heart surgery, a triple bypass. In February of this year he had a complete knee replacement. He was scheduled to have a shoulder replacement tomorrow, but is currently in the hospital with a antibiotic resistant bacterial infection. No surgery for him until we get this chased off and cleared up. We have had 2 grand daughters born to join the one we had and they are a joy. We have been busy.

I am happy for you and you having 20 acres with a spring fed pond. I wish we had a pond or a well here, but at $12,000 for a well, we can pay our $25.00 water bill for a long, long time! Once you get your place enclosed with fencing, your animals are going to enjoy their freedom! Plant trees for them. I have plans to add to the forage trees we have. In one small pasture we have 12 American persimmon trees, some of them are bearing size. The sheep absolutely adore the persimmons that drop and that is free food for them! I have paw paw seeds that I'm going to plant this fall. We have tons of oak trees. Found a young mulberry tree out in the woods, going to fence it off so the sheep don't eat it. Plant trees that will bear fruit, pick what you want and let the rest fall for the livestock.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am just fine with your style of writing and I love all the pictures. Being Southern myself, plus being a Texan, I have that slow Southern drawl that marks me anytime I cross the state line, LOL. I write much more intelligently than I speak, the drawl doesn't come out in print. I open my mouth and you'd think I'm a backwards redneck. :lol: maybe I am and I'm just fooling everybody with my grasp of the written language.

Getting the fence up is a BIG DEAL. We bought our place 2 years ago this month and moved into it February 14, 2015. We hit the ground running and built fence, more fence, planted a garden, build a hoop coop, more fence, a 36'x36' barn, a small sheep shed for the sheep we bought, more fence, made a swipe at pasture with rye grass last winter, planted fruit trees, more fence.....did I mention fence? We are still trying to complete our last stretch of fence, but 100* sure took the sap out of us. :lol:

Last August my DH had open heart surgery, a triple bypass. In February of this year he had a complete knee replacement. He was scheduled to have a shoulder replacement tomorrow, but is currently in the hospital with a antibiotic resistant bacterial infection. No surgery for him until we get this chased off and cleared up. We have had 2 grand daughters born to join the one we had and they are a joy. We have been busy.

I am happy for you and you having 20 acres with a spring fed pond. I wish we had a pond or a well here, but at $12,000 for a well, we can pay our $25.00 water bill for a long, long time! Once you get your place enclosed with fencing, your animals are going to enjoy their freedom! Plant trees for them. I have plans to add to the forage trees we have. In one small pasture we have 12 American persimmon trees, some of them are bearing size. The sheep absolutely adore the persimmons that drop and that is free food for them! I have paw paw seeds that I'm going to plant this fall. We have tons of oak trees. Found a young mulberry tree out in the woods, going to fence it off so the sheep don't eat it. Plant trees that will bear fruit, pick what you want and let the rest fall for the livestock.
That is one thing I don't need to do....is plant Trees...I need to cut a Bunch down....so more Light can get thru the canopy and can get some grass to grow so the soil will stop Washing....we have persimmon, oak, dogwood, sweet gum, sumac, cedar, pine, plum, hickory, sassafras, elm, and privot that are Natural....most of the land is tree covered...so, transplanting is bout all I would have to do....but, I can't 'Rest' until that dad-gum Fencing is done...LOL!!...sorry to hear about your husband!!....sure hope all goes Well, for both of ya!!.....and here is our 'New Addition' to the family....boy...James...
FB_IMG_1473812060448.jpg

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
That last pic is of our youngest daughter's New 'Bundle of Joy'....she lives in Florida...Joyce will be leaving this next wk to travel there to Hold him!!...which means the 'Chores' will be on my 'Plate' for a wk....such Excitement!!...LOL!!...oh, I did take some pics to aid in my explanation of the 'Herd House'....IMAG0824.jpg...they love the tables!!...here's the 'Bad Weather' feeding area...IMAG0825.jpg....here's the hole in the wall..IMAG0827.jpg ...there are already Plans to expand this...but, not until the big common are fence is Up...going to be a very Busy fall and winter!!IMAG0827.jpg