CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think we have found Florida's answer to kudzu here....:lol:
IMAG4260.jpg ....it is this kinda stuff Joyce has cleared from around the azaleas ....here is a pic of the area she has been working in....the house ya see is across the street.....IMAG4262.jpg ....ya can at least see the wood to cut....not like there isn't Plenty to cut and burn here.....:)....guess we'll have "fun, fun, fun...til daddy takes the Tbird away"......:lol:....for those that can remember back that fer.....:lol:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think we have found Florida's answer to kudzu here....:lol:
....it is this kinda stuff Joyce has cleared from around the azaleas .
Air potato vine.

Brought here originally way back when, in the slave trade days, as the slaves used them for medicinal folk cures in their nations of origins.
A type of yam and it will grow what kinda looks like yams or potatoes later in the year. All parts of the plant are listed as toxic with the air yams and tubers being extremely toxic. There is a way to detox the yams, but it is time consuming.

Economic uses in introduced range No records have been found indicating past or present cultivation of D. bulbifera as a food crop in Florida. The presence of cyanogens and the toxic alkaloid dioscorine have been documented to exist at varying levels in certain varieties of D. bulbifera, making them unpalatable or poisonous to eat without proper processing. Chemical analyses of the compounds known to contribute to bitterness and toxicity in the tubers and bulbils of the plant are still required in order to better define the levels of these components as they exist in the invasive population we have in the United States. Ward (1977) states that the bulbils from the variety present in the U.S. maintain the bitterness that is commonplace in several varieties in the plant‘s native range and causes nausea if ingested, regardless of repeated washings and/or boiling.

Dioscorea bulbifera L. (Chinese: Huangdu, common name: air potato) is a traditional herbal medicine in China, and it is also one of the most widely consumed yam species, especially in West Africa. Studies have verified that D. bulbifera is effective in treating a wide range of diseases, such as pharyngitis, goitre, pyogenic skin infections, orchitis and cancer. However, more and more studies have also reported liver and kidney damage caused by D. bulbifera. To promote understanding of the bioactivity, toxicity and methods for detoxification of this medicinal and edible plant, the present article reviews the most valuable recent reports on its phytochemistry and pharmacological effects. The possible reasons for its toxicity include the toxic effects of diosbulbin B and D on hepatocytes, the inhibition of antioxidant enzymes in liver mitochondria, and inhibition of enzymes that ordinarily metabolize the herb’s components. Synergistic compatibility detoxification may help to reduce toxic effects and improve therapeutic effects. More clinical trials are also required to fully achieve its therapeutic potential
https://www.fleppc.org/Manage_Plans/AirpotatoManagementPlan_Final.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Dioscorea_bulbifera_L_a_comprehensive_review

https://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/plant-directory/dioscorea-bulbifera/
Garlon4 or Remedy Ultra are your friends, but be careful about overspray. Both will kill any broadleaf they are sprayed on.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks GB!!....it certainly prefers shaded areas....I'm gonna get more sunlight thru by eliminating the band of leaves that are in the 12'-20' height range....there are way too many unkept trees growing amongst the big oaks that need to be unweaved there are loquat branches filling gaps and heavy shade to the ground....we are going to use bushes, shrubs, and plants for screening, but only 6-12' ht ones....I'd rather have cypress trees instead of oaks, but it is what it is....I'll have to keep an eye out for the acorns and squirrel activity....may have to think about some stew with gravy and biscuits....sshh!!....I do have my BBs and my sling-shot....:)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks GB!!....it certainly prefers shaded areas....I'm gonna get more sunlight thru by eliminating the band of leaves that are in the 12'-20' height range....there are way too many unkept trees growing amongst the big oaks that need to be unweaved there are loquat branches filling gaps and heavy shade to the ground....we are going to use bushes, shrubs, and plants for screening, but only 6-12' ht ones....I'd rather have cypress trees instead of oaks, but it is what it is....I'll have to keep an eye out for the acorns and squirrel activity....may have to think about some stew with gravy and biscuits....sshh!!....I do have my BBs and my sling-shot....:)
What you are going thru is the result of benign neglect...poor land management. We all talk about being 'good stewards of the land' but that has to be a long range endeavor, and not just for our own purposes. We shouldn't have in mind what we want for the time we own the land, but should have a goal in mind, leaving the land productive and usable for the next generation and the next person that acquires our property..and the next.
The previous owners of your property, just like the previous owner of my property did not do this, and as a result, we both found ourselves in the unenviable position of having to do a lot of work and @ no small expense just to get the land usable. But, if we are going to go thru all that, we need to make our work results sustainable for the long term..beyond our own years.

I cannot stress this enough:
In your climate, and mine, it will take only 1-3 growing seasons at the most for that property to revert right back to what it was the 1st day you set foot on it. Your invasive vine grows at the rate of up to 8" per DAY. Cutting them, is like cutting green brier..an exercise in futility. I see people all the time, working their butts off for not much more than a zero sum reward. My own sister is doing this, and has been for 15 years. All it will take, is something physically, medically, or mentally happening to her, and her place will basically (and quite quickly) be again useless and again non-productive because she made temporary changes, when she could have and should be making permanent, sustainable changes.
Kill the plant, and it's underground tuber, which, like greenbrier, is the stored energy source for longevity and survival.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well we don't expect what we do here, to last very long when we are no longer here....evey place that we have had and worked on, very shortly after we left them...what we did was torn down or out....and the 3acres I cleared was allowed to grow up again and the new owner planted bamboo where we had established some really nice plants....so, it doesn't really matter....I don't have any thoughts of what we do, lasting any longer than for us to spend our end days doing what we do....cause when another becomes the owner, it will all change....I just wonder if it isn't a "waste of energy and money".....but, certainly is an excercise in "futility".....:)

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a home in south Florida that was over run with what was called "potato vines" but they were a ok looking purple vine....I was shocked when I started removing them that vine grew from a potato looking alien in the ground...digging them out was time consuming. ... ( duh...that was why they were called potato vines) but they were under control when I sold the place :)......to the best of my knowledge. ...

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We did get a break from the showers long enough today for...
IMAG4268.jpg IMAG4273.jpg
....our "picnic"....I had planned on it yesterday, but as I went to get things going....it started raining a pretty good shower....it was about an inch in an hr and a half....so, had to get to it today....just some bnls cntry style ribs, but they were BOGO at the grocery store....got a 10# bag of leg qtrs (chicken) for $3.86....couldn't pass it up....:)

Latest posts