Cobalt deficiency - thoughts?

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
There has been a lot of chatter lately about thin goats and goats with white lids, we had the same problem with some recently. I'll go into more detail later.

I recently stumbled upon a very knowledgable bet that has many years experience raising and dealing with goats.

We talked in detail about mine.

It's easier for me to vocalize tha it is to type. I'm not very good at putting wording together as it comes to me.

Anyways she mentioned that we were in an area deficient in cobalt. Cobalt deficiency symptoms include, but are not limited to, weight and appetite loss, loss of hair coat, energy loss, anemia, and much more. In goats at least.

We ordered cobalt bolusand crammed the recommended doses down the throats of the goats looking bad but had good fecals.

In a matter of DAYS the four affected goats have begun eating better and putting on weight. They have more energy. They're looking healthier. I would have never thought of this.

Anyone else hear of this?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know that cobalt can affect the flavor of milk, but I didn't know about the rest. I guess I should add a cobalt block and see if they are interested and if it helps with their coat. No idea if I am in a deficient area or not.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ferguson K Did you just find another way for me to spend money on my goats? ;) I did some reading on a site that sells individual minerals and mixes and found this.

https://www.abcplus.biz/categories17.aspx?Id=Sheep_Goats_Minerals_TS-K-Mix

Cobalt is needed to enable rumen bacteria to synthesize Vitamin B12. Cobalt deficiency causes loss of appetite, weakness, anemia, decrease in fertility, and lowered milk production.

I have been meaning to try these minerals so maybe now is the time.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Out here we're high in sulfur.

My does get free choice salt and this mineral:

20160916_165839.jpg

I talked with Anne for a long time. She mentioned several years ago she went through the same thing as is. Fecalswere OK but still deathly anemic. If the body can't absorb b12 then it can't absorb iron. Cobalt is a needed mineral, in controlled doses, to absorb some of these essentials. She mentioned to me that she tried the bolus we ordered after much debate and it was almost instantanious.

she wasn't kidding. Zinnia and Annabelle have never looked better. They have muscle again. Damsel and shooter are coming back around, too. It's been four days.

We're going to do the entire herd.

A cobalt deficiency could be confused with Johnesor worms in many cases.

When she started talking about it it was like a light came on overhead. I'm glad I did it.

We're going to get out minerals tested in our hay meadow as well.

I'll post before and afters next week.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@babsbag you have been talking about the individual minerals for awhile... my question is about the iron. It seems everyone has iron mixed in. I don't need iron. :(

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
I bought some cobalt boluses from a company in Ireland called Mayo Healthcare, that a sheep person recommended and had free international shipping, and have seen a huge difference in my angora goats. I'm also in a high sulfur area and I've seen better color, better coat, and no worm issues all summer. The bolus I got came with cobalt,copper, iodine and selenium and can be repeated every 6-8 weeks if needed (I haven't needed to redose that often). Next time I order I'm going to ask them about ones they have that are supposed to last all year.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone used the block and liked it or are the boluses a better choice?
We have very high sulfur and my goats eyelids aren't SUPER pale, but not red either, even with a fine worm count.