Cocci prevention..chem free?

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm not 100% organic...but I try to be as chem free as possible.

I've been reading the warning labels on cocci treatments and it's not something I want to ingest. My milking does are with the kids. My bucklings will possibly end up in my freezer.

I don't want chemicals in my meat or dairy products.

Are there alternative suppliments that can be used effectively to prevent cocci?

I didn't treat last yr at all and had no problems. I have more goats this yr and know that increases the risk.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I don't know because I don't play the organic game - but research anti-protozoal natural therapies (cocci is a protozoan parasite).

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I bought a herbal product called GI Sooth from Fir Meadow. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I am very pleased with the other product of Fir Meadow's that I have used.

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Cool. Since Im more interested in function than ribbons my family's health comes first. I don't pretend to be organic...if an animal needs meds they'll get it. But I don't want to pump chemicals into them that they don't need and that could potentially cause us problems in the future.

I've lost too many friends to cancer. Just trying to do my part to keep chemicals out of my food when I can.

I sold garden chemicals for many yrs. I watched many sales reps die from cancer during those yrs. I lost my thyroid during that time and my coworker had serious chemical induced neurological damage. We were also on a "Green team and safety team" at the time...coincidence?

I'm trying to go as chem free as possible. I'm not bashing anyone who uses them...it's a choice.

I'd love to be certified organic...but that's not realistic here.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would think that if you did plan to go without coccidiostats that it would be a good idea to integrate pasture rotation into your plan. I wouldn't dare attempt to go without coccidiosis prevention without intensive rotation to clean ground. I've seen references to producers using calf hutches and individual pens (made from cattle panels) and frequent rotation and would imagine it'd go a long way in keeping the soil load at a manageable level where your younger, at risk kids are.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cleanliness and good management could go a long way, but I don't know if it's quite enough. Rotate pastures, clean pens regularly, avoid having areas that stay constantly wet, change bedding often, keep waterers/feeders/minerals from getting contaminated, don't overcrowd areas.

It isn't an instant fix, but breeding for resistance to cocci and other parasites should be a goal, to minimize the need for chemical treatment.

Wormwood (Artemisia absinthum) is often used in herbal dewormers. I don't know if it will deal with cocci at all, you could look into it though. If so, that's something you might be able to even grow yourself.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Molly (from Fiascofarm.com, aka Molly's Herbals) has a cocci prevention plan listed that she uses. It's the regular herbal wormer, but on a three week rotation instead of the normal 6-8 weeks. I've been using it with the babies.

She originally used Di-methox and then found she had even more success with the herbals. My plan is to use the herbals as prevention and keep Di-methox stocked in case we have any issues. So far so good, though this is just our first season with babies, so I don't have a proven track record. The dairy I bought the does from didn't use any chemicals and her does have all been very healthy.

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I looked for di-methox or sulmet today. I found sulmet tablets, no di-methox.

I ended up buying the only bag of Corid they had left. $23.00

As much as I hate the thought of these chemicals, not only in my animals, but also my compost, I don't want to lose my kids.

I have a 3 wk old who has been "off" for 2 days. No runs or fever, but standing funny and occasionally shaking. I gave him revitalyte in some warm water, lamb & kid paste and nutridrench. I don't think he's nursing, but I did see him nibbling hay. His belly doesn't seem empty though.

Is the corid dosage on the pkg correct or is goat dosage different?

I want to treat all of the kids. I'd prefer not to treat the does. If you all think I should, I will and I'll dump milk for a month:/

I don't feel good about this at all.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
RockyToggRanch said:
Is the corid dosage on the pkg correct or is goat dosage different?
The dose for liquid CoRid is 2.5 cc per 10 lbs - UNDILUTED straight out of the container...dunno about the powder.

Latest posts