Cocci prevention..chem free?

Terry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Goatherd said:
I'm older than dirt, live life on the edge and have fresh eggs EVERY DAY for breakfast. I'll save you the time...no cholesterol problems here! :D
I'm not worried about cholesterol. I have bad lungs and don't want to get them clogged up with chicken dust.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am not going to get into a heated arguement about which diseases are zootonic in poultry and which are not. But if one of you can pull up an actual report saying coccidiosis is zootonic, please post the link.

From my understanding coccidiosis is species specific.

Now I am not saying poultry don't scratch around digging up bacteria and germs that may have otherwise laid dormant. nor am I saying they have absolutly no zootonic illnesses(avian flu comes to mind), but I do beleive you will survive walking through a chicken house or having some chickens in your backyard just fine. I beleive your other livestock will survive it just fine as well.

Not that we can have chickens or any poultry or parakets for that matter. My husband is on the avian influenza task force. for us to consider raising eggs and having chickens around our goats isn't really a choice.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
I am not going to get into a heated arguement about which diseases are zootonic in poultry and which are not. But if one of you can pull up an actual report saying coccidiosis is zootonic, please post the link.

From my understanding coccidiosis is species specific.
Cocci ARE species specific. But it's the goat cocci the chickens are walking through in common areas then climbing into the hay manger, the edge of the water bucket, scratching in feed pans, etc.

Personally, I'm not at all concerned with my chickens free ranging outside of the goat barn and we often let them do so. But the mangers are mounted high enough that chickens can't get dirty feet anywhere near the hay and our water buckets are high enough that the chickens don't tend to use them. As far as the chickens scratching around in the pens and pooping is concerned- I don't feed my goats off the ground so it's really not a concern for me.

We love our fresh eggs too, but I don't let the chickens inside kid pens at all.

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
In case anyone is interested. I have been using the herbal formula GI Sooth very well here. This summer has been pretty rainy and yucky. I have not had any fecals so I don't know if all my cases of scours have been cocci, but I'm sure a few that were otherwise unexplained were. Anyways, at first sign of runny poo I treat each animal with a double dose of GI Sooth. I usually have to only give two doses before the runny poo is gone. I'm hopefully getting a fecal done soon (if I can find anyone who will do it for me, the vets are outrageous!) and I'll know then what the scope of things really is, but it's certainly worth having on hand to stop scours FAST. :)

Mossy Stone Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I also use GI Sooth for any running or loose stools and have yet to have any problems with cocci this yr....

I have had fecals done on all the dairy girls and babie so far every one is ok, in fact the vet said they look great, with all the rain and crude we have had.

So i am very happy with Fir Medows and Kats products.

crystal.dirty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
There is evidence that Coccidia can be treated by feeding something high in tannins. So Oak and Willow would be things you could introduce into their diet, especially during wet, rainy times of the year as a preventative.

RamblingCowgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What a useful topic! Thank you OP for asking :D

Around here parasites of all sorts seem to be thick. We also found out that lack of copper can cause parasite issues to boom.

It's not chem free, but I've been told Toltrazuril Baycox works best, not sure of the dose. It's marketed for horses. You only have to give it once, not for five days. Some friends of mine that are more experienced goat herders started using that this year and are very happy with it.

rinksgi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have never used them, but I have read that if you use Corrid, supplement with Thiamine. I also read that feed high in Tannin can prevent parasites. Didn't know Oak contained it, but lespideza(sp) hay has it. Here we call it serricia grass hay. giving copper is supposed to help as well. I use the herbal wormer from hoegger's but have not taken a fecal in. i plan to do that soon. Good luck with your babies.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
The problem with supplementing with Thiamine while doing CoRid is that it CoRid is a thiamine antagonist---it looks very much like REAL thiamine so that the goat's body can stop releasing enough actual thiamine. The coccidia consume the fake thiamine and starve to death but the goat can end up with polio if CoRid is used over an extended time since it is not making actual thiamine in an adequate amount. So the thought that giving them thiamine makes sense but then the medication won't work properly either since you would be giving the coccidia what they need to survive as well.