Cocci question

Lil Chickie Mama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't have goats yet but I'm semi-lurking to get educated before I get them next year (SO excited, tee hee). I keep reading about cocci and I know that chickens and I think rabbits too can get cocci. I've heard that chickens (which I already have) can give certain diseases to rabbits (will have soon) and vice versa, but what about adding goats to the mix? Is it the same strain or not? All my animals will be kept penned semi-near one another to an extent, so I need to know before I start building the goat areas and rabbit areas. It would stink to have to move it later... Anyway, TIA!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Goats can't 'catch' cocci from chickens and vice versa, it's species specific.
Humans, dogs, cats, etc. all carry cocci.

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep even cows carry it and like Roll said its species specific...just make sure when you get goats not to let them eat the chicken feed...

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's not formulated correctly for goats.. Too much protein, incorrect balance of calcium to phosphorus, no added ammonium chloride, etc..

Basically, it's just not good for them..

I guess I could probably sit down with product labels and figure out what's in chicken feed that's not in goat feed and vice versa, and research each non-common ingredient to determine whether or not it's poisonous to the other species, etc.....instead, I just assume each is poisonous to the other and treat it all accordingly.

Much harder to go wrong that way, I think.

Lil Chickie Mama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks, I knew I could count on you guys!
M.Holloway: I've read (Please someone correct me if I get this wrong, I couldn't find the exact post) Chicken feed is toxic to goats because it can cause bloat, lactic acidosis (from too much grain), and something to do with selenium but I can't remember what it is. Basically it's really bad for goats. There are many easy ways to create an "L" shaped entrance after the pop door on the chicken coop so that chickens can get in but goats stay out. Also, there have been a number of posts about someone who's goat got into the chicken feed and got very sick and some died. It's best to keep a close eye and take precautions to ensure that they don't eat chicken feed.