Coccidia prevention

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm in a fb group for goat sales for my state. I am constantly seeing things in the ad like utd on vaccines, closed herd, tested clean but one thing that has me curious is that some also list goats on coccidia prevention. What is this coccidia prevention? Are there different ones? Where do I get it? What is the dose and how often?

Someone please enlighten me!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a little tip from the sheep world on Coccidia prevention. Coccidia is spread by the faecal/oral route, so infected animals excrete and non-infected animals take the oocytes of Coccidia up from the pasture to perpetuate the infection cycle. Animals tend to poop around their feeding troughs, hay feeders etc. Moving any feeders on a daily basis helps quite a lot in preventing spread of Coccidia.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Avoid overstocking your soils, over impacted soils, poor drainage in areas where livestock congregate, etc.

Breed for strong immune systems~cull animals prone to develop illness and parasite problems~ and develop good gut health~balanced rumens, avoid too many grains in the diet and don't look for the quick fix but the long term maintenance type of management of pastures, soils and animal.

All these are the best prevention for diseases of any kind and for all livestock, but particularly an overgrowth of coccidia on your land.

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Avoid overstocking your soils, over impacted soils, poor drainage in areas where livestock congregate, etc.

Breed for strong immune systems~cull animals prone to develop illness and parasite problems~ and develop good gut health~balanced rumens, avoid too many grains in the diet and don't look for the quick fix but the long term maintenance type of management of pastures, soils and animal.

All these are the best prevention for diseases of any kind and for all livestock, but particularly an overgrowth of coccidia on your land.
We have clay here and when it rains it floods. It's not uncommon to have storms blow in and last for many days. I have recently moved them up to higher ground in hope that there will be less standing water. I've had 2 kids develop coccidia within a week of bringing them home but my older girls seem to do fine.

Latest posts