Coccidiosis control

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just wondering what all the goat folks do in regard to coccidiosis control? Management practices, coccidiostats, etc. especially in regard to kids. Is it a major concern for a healthy herd or is proper hygiene usually enough? Thanks!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
DiMethox every 21 days once it's warm out, until it frosts....

Excessive? Possibly....but I haven't lost a kid to cocci in years by being proactive about it....and our kids grow well.

That's just what I do, not a recommendation or anything.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Just the kids...once they're grown I've never had issues.

And if it's not really wet / steamy / etc. I'll skip it unless a fecal tells me I need to keep it up. I just have been doing it in this swamp long enough to "know" when I need to.

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Di-Methox...is that what the brand name Albon is? What is the withdrawl time for meat and milk when you use it?

We have cocci on our farm. Our does and buck are not bad with their fecals, but it is definitely there. I am really concerned for the kids. Their kidding stall is VERY clean, only one goat has ever even been in there, and that was our pregnant doe. I took her in to show her around before she has to get locked in. I'm still concerned, though.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
:D Pretty much everyone has cocci, as pretty much all goats carry it, so despite your clean practices you will likely have to treat your kids preventatively...

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
cocci is everywhere. Some regions seem to have bigger problems with it than others. Around here it is rare.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
feeding a medicated feed with a coccistat has prevented alot of problems here. have bought some goats that had loose stools and used albon on them directly, then with medicated feed they cleared up. probably would have lost them if relied on feed alone