Coccidiosis treatment advice needed

Clementsfarm13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello,
so about 2 weeks ago I noticed one of my kids had runny poo so I treated all three of my goats with corid and by day 5 everything was fine again and he was back to his normal energy level now I noticed yesterday morning that another kid started to have runny poo so I began treating him with corid again is there any other treatment ideas that I can use for all the kids other than corid that doesn't need a prescription. And each time one shows signs I do treat all.

Clementsfarm13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
part of me is beginning to question that maybe it could just be scours from possibly dewy grass or something of that nature? today is day four of the corid treatment, which is what i used a few weeks ago on my other baby and he was beginning to solid up his poo by now but this little guy is not and its beginning to look a little greenish. i did forget to mention we've been slowly adding in alfalfa/orchard mix hay because they seemed to really like it but i'm starting to think i need to remove that.. i have been doing an every other day electrolyte rotation also with the water

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
At this point I would try and find a vet that will do a fecal. Treating with Corid long term can make other problems.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The issue is -
It COULD BE________________________________________ fill in the blank.

Diagnosis is generally done by looking at symptoms and then systematically ruling out XYZ

Fecal analysis will tell you if this is coccidia or parasites.
If negative then that should be ruled out.

If dietary that is a little more difficult because it takes time. Although adjustment to a new type hay symptoms should be short lived and not continue.

If there is a bacterial infection, which is a possibility then that needs a different treatment.

Starting with the fecal is the smart move.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Cocci can be hard to deal with in young animals. My exp. has been that if one kid has it then I need to treat them all in order to get it under control. Also of consideration is if you cannot put kids in a fresh area there is always the chance that after treatment they can pick it up again.
Feed changes that cause scours usually clear up quickly and the goat does not go downhill fast. Also there is def. a difference in the smell of cocci poo. It is unique in my opinion.
I use sulmet. On kids that I don't intend to butcher anytime soon. It is off label so we can't buy it anymore without a prescription.
My thoughts are to try to do what you can to eliminate things that stress the kids. Keep their food off the ground( yeah right these are goats. lol) Probiotics help a lot to aid in keeping the gut in condition.
The first step is knowing exactly what is the problem. A fecal is only way to determine if parasites and what kind is the issue and what meds will help.

Clementsfarm13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Cocci can be hard to deal with in young animals. My exp. has been that if one kid has it then I need to treat them all in order to get it under control. Also of consideration is if you cannot put kids in a fresh area there is always the chance that after treatment they can pick it up again.
Feed changes that cause scours usually clear up quickly and the goat does not go downhill fast. Also there is def. a difference in the smell of cocci poo. It is unique in my opinion.
I use sulmet. On kids that I don't intend to butcher anytime soon. It is off label so we can't buy it anymore without a prescription.
My thoughts are to try to do what you can to eliminate things that stress the kids. Keep their food off the ground( yeah right these are goats. lol) Probiotics help a lot to aid in keeping the gut in condition.
The first step is knowing exactly what is the problem. A fecal is only way to determine if parasites and what kind is the issue and what meds will help.
thank you! so when you say the cocci poo smells different what do you mean? that could help me some too. i have another smallish pin i can put my sickly baby in tonight to watch him solely. i'm going to call the vet today and see if he will run a fecal test for me. the kid is still active, urinating fine, eating, all that