Coccidiosis treatment advice needed

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
normal poo smells of course but cocci poo is typically a dark color and gooie to outright watery.
There is also a strong smell compared to normal. Im not sure just how to describe it. kinda a sick smell.
If it were me i would not pen the little guy up. This will just stress him out more when he don't need anymore stress. If the goats live as a herd they have all passed whatever among each other anyway. I would def. go ahead with the fecal as soon as you can. But if he is eating and acting fine he most likely is fine. It might be prudent to take his temperature and make a note of it with any other observations just in case he does go off feed. Vets love good information. It makes their job easier.
When I treat for cocci I like to also give an injection of vitamin B complex. This will help sooth the intestines and stimulate appetite. Some folks give over the counter tagamet for helping combat stomach problems associated with cocci.

Clementsfarm13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
normal poo smells of course but cocci poo is typically a dark color and gooie to outright watery.
There is also a strong smell compared to normal. Im not sure just how to describe it. kinda a sick smell.
If it were me i would not pen the little guy up. This will just stress him out more when he don't need anymore stress. If the goats live as a herd they have all passed whatever among each other anyway. I would def. go ahead with the fecal as soon as you can. But if he is eating and acting fine he most likely is fine. It might be prudent to take his temperature and make a note of it with any other observations just in case he does go off feed. Vets love good information. It makes their job easier.
When I treat for cocci I like to also give an injection of vitamin B complex. This will help sooth the intestines and stimulate appetite. Some folks give over the counter tagamet for helping combat stomach problems associated with cocci.

good point id rather not stress him anymore. i found a vet within 20 minutes from us that will do the fecal testing so i'm going by today. thanks for the advice! I've been cleaning them and the pin twice a day to prevent any additional issues popping up. maybe I just freaked myself out since we've had coccidiosis take a kid before. With him still acting so peppy I'm thinking its just going to be something small

Clementsfarm13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
went and got the fecal done and its officially coccidiosis. restarting treatment along with electrolytes via baby bottle and probios. any other suggestions? i've been cleaning up the goats to get the poo off twice a day and cleaning the pin twice a day also

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Knowing what is going on helps alot. With treatment they all should be fine soon.
Just keep them eating and drinking and they should pull out of it.