Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMHO find the owner, or take to a shelter. "Breed doesnt make the dog all the time". True. But sometime breeding WILL come out. Just as LGDs instinctively protect herds, and aggressive rabbits are culled from breeding lines, certain behavior traits CAN be there, regardless of the treatment. Pits were developed to be viciously aggressive. Not all are. They can be very loving family pets. But sometimes a loving pet can get a (unrealized) trigger and genetic behavior can rise to the surface. It only takes an instant for tragedy to happen.
I personally might consider keeping. Heck, my dog now has pit mix. But it's just me, out in the country. If I had four precious bundles of boisterous energy around, no WAY I'd trust generations of genetics to be overcome, no matter how loving the dog seemed in the beginning.
X about a 1,000,000,000!!!!

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
The police gave her to my husband even through they knew where she belonged they were gonna have her put down. My parents have a lab pit mix he a sweet heart the kids and pull on his ears and tail and he just acts like its the best.the kids are a major consideration. I am also just because i am curious am spying on stella who in our yard while said dog is in cattle trailer stella doesnt seen to like her close to her yard. Back fur raised for five minutes she just finally settled down. I was dh even accepted her from the police he claims its because he knew how I would feel about if they just put her down.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
we been discussing getting a buddy for stella but i was wanting another herding dog breed somehing with her energy so they be more include to get along as opposed to a another breed with low energy that would get agressive because stella or kids annoyed them. Still have decided on that simply because not sure i want to go through training another dog to behave around kids and animals....

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OK George. Butt the heck out, and let others live there life as they see fit! If only I could live by this motto. BUT. You are playing with fire. My dog is sweet. Strangers can do anything they want to her. The biggest threat is getting your face licked off. But I have had occasions (during training) when even I would only handle her wearing padded sleeves and heavy gloves. The potential is there.
APOLOGIES FOR THE GRAPHIC PIC IN MY NEXT POST. MODERATORS REMOVE IT IF YOU SEE FIT.
This morning after the cat incident last night. None of that is her's. Thank God it's also not some child's.
P L E A S E reconsider even "trying" her to see how she behaves. Your kids are more precious than the life of ANY animal.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
stella doesnt seen to like her close to her yard. Back fur raised for five minutes she just finally settled down.

Female/female doesn't always work well. Especially as adults. They will often fight more than two strange dogs that are female/male. Plus it's Stella's territory so she's going to be protective of it.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK George. Butt the heck out, and let others live there life as they see fit! If only I could live by this motto. BUT. You are playing with fire. My dog is sweet. Strangers can do anything they want to her. The biggest threat is getting your face licked off. But I have had occasions (during training) when even I would only handle her wearing padded sleeves and heavy gloves. The potential is there.
APOLOGIES FOR THE GRAPHIC PIC IN MY NEXT POST. MODERATORS REMOVE IT IF YOU SEE FIT.
This morning after the cat incident last night. None of that is her's. Thank God it's also not some child's.
P L E A S E reconsider even "trying" her to see how she behaves. Your kids are more precious than the life of ANY animal.
breath promise as far as we concerned we aren't keeping her. Hubby is hooking up to cattle trailer and taking her while he getting a tire for said trailer. Hoping they take the dog really dont want to do the shelter because they will charge for us dropping her off and they put her down since she a pit.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMHO find the owner, or take to a shelter. "Breed doesnt make the dog all the time". True. But sometime breeding WILL come out. Just as LGDs instinctively protect herds, and aggressive rabbits are culled from breeding lines, certain behavior traits CAN be there, regardless of the treatment. Pits were developed to be viciously aggressive. Not all are. They can be very loving family pets. But sometimes a loving pet can get a (unrealized) trigger and genetic behavior can rise to the surface. It only takes an instant for tragedy to happen.
I personally might consider keeping. Heck, my dog now has pit mix. But it's just me, out in the country. If I had four precious bundles of boisterous energy around, no WAY I'd trust generations of genetics to be overcome, no matter how loving the dog seemed in the beginning.

Couldn't agree more! No risk is worth exposing your children to even the most faint possibility that a breed or breed mix's instinctual bred in traits will arise at any given moment.

I've heard folks say that even Labs can bite a child, but the TYPE of bite and the behavior DURING the biting is vastly different between a pit and a Lab. Labs are bred to have soft mouths, so if they bite at all it's a quick snap and release. Pits, on the other hand, were bred to bite and hold, even shake violently, whatever it is they get their mouths on. Given their mouths are exceedingly larger than a typical Lab and they are WAY more muscular, that bite and shake can kill a human, especially a little kid.

I love German Shepherds but as long as there are small children in our family, I'd never get one. Too many bad experiences in the family already, as well as horror stories related to GS's possessive behavior of just one individual, the whole one man dog syndrome. Yes, I've also heard many loving stories about how sweet they are with children, blah, blah, blah but the horror stories were of such horror that it outweighs the good.

Some things aren't worth risking a kid's life.