Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You will get through this - you're taking steps instead of sitting back and crying in your coffee. Good luck in the new venture!

I watched the stock market tank again this morning and wondered if my retirement just got yanked out from under me...

I look at our investments and figure the DRIP (dividend reinvestment program) will just buy more stock...…. The world may stop, but it can't stop spinning for very long. Life will come back to it's own level of abnormal and will resume. It may take awhile for the stock market to recover. My Mom always said, the stock market always came down, but it always came back up and it went higher than it was when it came down. Wise woman, my Mom was. Just hang in there FEM, it will take awhile, but it will get better.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I start a new job today. Yup, going back to work.
Good for you Bay! With the expenses you've had, I would have been DIW a long time ago. I've had some nasty $ expenses this year, and am considering going back into the work force myself, albeit part time. Need to rebuild that nest egg.
I've used the KISS system here, so chores are minimal and quick for me. Nothing like the responsibilities you and most of the regular posters on here have.
The assisted living center concerns me a little. May be on lockdown, but those bugs seem to find a way in, in spite of isolation. So tired of hearing about this Covid 19 thing. That's all that's on the news anymore. But still, those in our age group ARE more at risk, and even though you sound strong enough to take on anything nature can throw at you, with BJ's background, it would be a shame to bring any "presents" home.
Love and hope.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will have lots to do. BJ is on board and will do all he can to help me. We will get this done.

Yep..it will work!! We just never know what life will throw at us.
Just don't like it enough to give up on the knee surgery too long.
Sometimes back at work for a short term can offset those expenses nicely.

One of the reasons I have see-sawed on still working....concern for unplanned bills!! Crap happens! Now, at my age, they are NOT out there looking to ask you to come work. But what I do is not dependent on age -- show up and do the job right. I do that really well. I do plan to "retire" 2021 -- sorta/kinda -- LOL Partly? :lol:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good luck @Baymule with the new job. I know that is not what you wanted, and unplanned expenses can really change things in a hurry. I get it from your perspective.
Not to be nosy, but are you getting your SS yet? If not, then maybe that is something to really look at. If you are then, you are doing what you can for budgeting and getting a few things paid off and a little nest egg built back up is good.
Yes the C-19 is to be concerned about, but you just have to be very careful. You can just as easily bring home a bad flu virus too and that is bad for any seniors also.
Wrap or strap the knee for support as the hard floors will be difficult to deal with. I KNOW from experience. And wear the very best support type footwear you can even if it means going out and buying new "nurses shoes" type of shoes. Your legs and feet will thank you believe me. After 40 years on hard floors/concrete, I know what a good pair of footwear means.
That is one reason I am still wavering on completely "retiring" from milk testing.... like @Mini Horses , it is nice to have that little extra even though at times it is inconvenient to have to go to work.
Maybe look into the type of work that @Mini Horses does. I am seriously considering talking to her and seeing what it takes to do that and who/what/where you go about finding out about it. Might be a viable option as a part time job....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad you found the job Bay, sorry the economy and all the unexpected expenses force your hand. I'm sure all the residents will be happy to have you around. If they start to get unruly make them some Mama Wall's - full strength.
I nearly fell off the chair at the desk over the suggestion @Bruce ..... Boy, that would at least make sure they all sleep well...

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on. Should be nice this afternoon so we plan on riding and grooming the horses, Jocelyn's new saddle got here yesterday. So need to try that out. Oh and see if we can figure out how to FaceTime for her speech.
The last few events had to cancel... maybe we'll get more done at home.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
G'morning everyone. Coffee's on, but extra strong. Amid the C-19 scare, and the President's advice to not gather in groups of more than 10, I CANCELLED my doctor's appointment today. Was looking at a 1 1/2 hour drive (one way) to sit among a group of sick people! It was a wellness visit, and not for an illness. It's also POURING rain, so I decided to skip a long drive in the rain for the opportunity to expose myself to God only knows what.