Coffee anyone ?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get that... I have been putting off doing my taxes... I am stupid worried I will owe a bunch.

I usually get a refund.. so nasty difference
We owed a ton last year thanks (NOT) to the tax law changes so last year we had to make big quarterly estimated payments to ensure we covered 100% of what our tax bite was the prior year. Of course this year we are getting it all back. BUT, we are selling our old house that we have been renting out, don't have the "primary home for 3 of the last 5 years" thing so we will owe a whole lot MORE than a ton. Thus we are letting the IRS keep our refund.

We got our two little granddaughters for the night, their mom will pick them up around 2 pm.
No self quarantining and social distance in TX?

We are both self employed so don't get refunds. We also don't always get all the quarterlies in. Oops. You can get a refund if your quarterlies are over estimated, but I don't feel real incentivized to pay out extra money then get it back later.
Because that money could be working for us in the savings account earning a stunning .25 cents a month!
Don't miss those quarterlies, they will smack you with an interest charge.

Mine here pays me 2.25% interest on average daily balance
That is really high, nothing close to that even on money market accounts here.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
At last!! A day at home. I need it -- both for self calm and to do things here. After this coffee, I'll move the goat herd back into another alternate field for a while. Temps & rain have brought out healthy grow of vetch & orchard grass. They are thrilled. Me, too.. Still need to milk first but, rest done.

And -- BIG, WONDERFUL, surprise! -- 2 of 3 of my apple trees have leaves popping!! YEAH! :celebrate I had thought the (now sold) buck had killed all 3 but, 2 survived. They are in the fenced chicken 1/4 acre, so normally no other animals get in there.....he was a climber! I'm still fixing fence areas he bent down. The chickens are allowed out of that....well, self allowed.

I hope to get a broody hen moved to another location tonight.. If it works for her for a couple days, I'll add eggs & remove the golf ball. She's a "regular" & good mom. Saving eggs from a few I would like to hatch....mixed chickens but great layers & good roos. Will set a couple more in next couple weeks. 2 more wanting to do the job.

DS finished basic upping of some chicken wire over bottom couple feet of a field that has field fence. Those darned kids....they want to get their head out. This stops them. My "weaning" field, so needed done. Now to move two portables there for shelter, the low feeder, water tubs, etc. Weaning needs to begin. These boys are not altered, so horns in fence are an issue. Hope to get all ready this weekend. As they age, I just add more them o others. LOL Grass will need more eaten each week, so it works. Now -- I hope all this closure stuff is pretty well done by mid summer because I sure don't need 18-20 young bucks to be a concern!!! That's a nightmare thought -- no auction. Hmmm, better call some processing places, in case. Otherwise a lot of wethers will be here and goat meat to share. Farm life -- flex!

It's nice out with sunshine, finally lowered winds. 44@ getup ad they say to low 60s. I can sure enjoy that out there. :yesss:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m having a leisurely morning, drinking coffee and reading on SS, TEG and BYH. The news is on, updating the dismal pandemic, not too much good news there. Drizzling and cold, I need to get out there and do chores.

I have a gorgeous stand of rye grass and clover on the small side pasture. I run the girl lambs in it all night and the boy lambs during the day. Both groups are getting plenty to eat. I’m also raising the Cornish Cross in a tractor in that pasture. I move it daily. There is giant Bermuda that I planted last year and babied through the drought to keep it alive. The chicken poop ought to fertilize it good!! For added growth, I’m overseeding the poop patches with more giant Bermuda seed. By mid to late summer, this pasture ought to be the best ever.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sunshine here at last! 28 out there when I fed. I'm hanging out with a cup of coffee until it gets a degree or two warmer then hope to spend the entire day doing yard chores and work the horses. I'm plotting Syringas day... may have something to share this evening. :highfive:

Also need to up pot the tomato and pepper starts. I'm not sure where I'll put them all, I guess I'll haul the big folding table in. Would be nice to have a cold frame this time of year, one of those deals where you bury fresh manure in the bottom for natural heat. May have to run that thought by the builder man and see what he thinks. 🤔

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's raining buckets here gonna give in once baby asleep to go drag the goat through the rain to milk her.. And feed up everyone outside. Then going to stay inside the rest of today. It is suppose to rain all day today and tomorrow. Dh is helping put up laundry. Which is nice. My body probably need the rest.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tried to post at my usual time but the internet wasn't cooperating... finally just did the set up all over again... don't ask me why that works or why we'd all of a sudden get booted off... annoying but doesn't happen on a regular basis.
Coffee is on.
Rain and mid 40s today.
We did get a new litter of bunnies, 3 kits. It was shortly after we finished chores and cleaning cages yesterday afternoon. She was looking pretty miserable and when I was about half way done she got frantic nesting so I knew it was close. Tomorrow is our little broken polish doe's due date. She's a such a sweet thing. Had a false about 6 weeks ago, but I can feel kits this time.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry all you guys are having weather issues....we are gona get some of your rain later in week. For today, here -- wonderful.

Got goats moved, the one milked, milk inside to chill. Then --

I went out the back door heading to barn, turned to go get battery charger DS had used, to charge mower.....intending to till tomorrow (pull tiller). And there -- BEYOND my wildest dreams!! -- DS had put the disc on the tractor. Man, I jumped on that thing and worked a field that "may" become my garden. Bigger than I want BUT..... It was nice to be able to do this. Still need another, or two, fine till but, that can happen later in week....or tomorrow if I get really ambitious. It's definitely heavily fertilized by horses & my only issue is that it has been used as pasture for years. THAT may be a problem. Will see when I hit it again. Of course, several chickens went in to assist.....plenty of worms out there. Plus, I won't add plants for a couple more weeks. Otherwise...more tilling elsewhere.

4.4.20till1.jpg

4.4.20till6.jpg

Woohoooo…..something done and it was fun. Love to ride my tractor. Have another field I plan to disc, drag and seed. May get that done tomorrow. Would love to before the rain, which will settle the dirt/seed. Plans working..... :yesss:

Just grilled myself a steak, some peas....eating dinner with you now! LOL Then go milk. Make cheese tonight. A GREAT farm day for me. Hope everyone else had such fun today.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a great day also Mini Horses! That is a huge garden area, glad you got to have so much fun on your tractor. :D

I rode bikes with dh early, then played with the horses for the rest of the day. No yard work got done (by me, dh was clearing trees) but it was the loveliest day I've had for awhile. The yard work will be there another day more than likely.

Latest posts