Coffee anyone ?

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We reached 67f with a low of 48f. Usually by this time we have had a killing frost, but it's drier and warmer than typical. Today the smoke has lessened considerably and we got some sprinkles. Not enough to do anything but dirty the car windshields, but if the cool and extra humidity help the fires I'll take it. Some real rain would be welcome.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We were at 49 this morning and forecat to be down to the low 40's the next 2-3 mornings.... It feels COLD after the extra warm temps we had for so long. Think it will moderate some again by mid week
@Bruce , have you started the wood stove yet????Do you try to wait til like October or anything like that???? What other source of heat do you have????

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce , those temps sound like woodstove weather!
A bit early for that especially given I don't have quite as much wood as normal. It was 60° in the house this morning and with a high of not much more than 50 again I broke down ;) I bought new filters for the oil and propane hot air furnaces earlier in the week. I put them in this morning and turned on the thermostats.

Jan - old (probably 1999 since that is when the people we bought from bought the house. Apparently there used to be a oil/wood combo down in the basement) oil hot air furnace in the original building, 7 year old propane hot air in the rebuilt building.

Pretty much when I start using the wood stove I run it 24x7 so not usually until some time in Oct.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ahhh, Bruce -- that's chilly. I mean, it's ONLY mid Sept. Our 55 was chilly for us but only an overnight. Warming back to mid 70s later in week. Was 71 today after a 58 start. Windows open all day. Breezy but nice, with sun!! ;)

In & out all day, busy -- cut some areas, weed eater to others, chores and some inside work, also. Baked a turkey breast, did some house cleaning, laundry, emptied some boxes, packed others, truckload to dump -- :idunno -- jumped around things. 😁:lol::old Whatever couldn't "wait". Work load is heavy this week, so trying to put out the fires before. I'll have 8 days, about 10 hrs each ---won't be much free time. Little less the following week, then a "dead in the water" week. Will paint that week -- if & hope the weather is good. :lol:

I'm ready for bed. :frow

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was 40 this morning, got up to 78 on the porch, but out in the yard there was quite a strong breeze.... wore a sweatshirt then just a long sleeved T-shirt but not any too hot. Didn't feel like 78 with the wind. It's 11 pm and down to 47 already, supposed to get back down to 40 again.... but it will moderate in another day or 2 and be more in the 50's and upper 70's again.
@Mini Horses I am glad that I don't have 8 straight days like that. Have enough with the testing and the hay raking this week... but it is not 10 hr straight days.... Oh well, gotta make it when you can... But with the days getting shorter those 10 hour days are a B@#@H....

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on. 45° this morningm 75 ° this afternoon. Had a lovely time away camping. Now back to reality, DH is starting to cut hay tonight and tomatoes are waitinf, no frost yet. Hoping to make chilli sauce and some of @Baymule's BBQ sauce. Oh and get school done of course and unpack the camper. Got home mid afternoon so mowed the yard...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you will like the BBQ sauce. I had so many tomatoes this year, that instead of canning plain sauce, i started canning tomato products so I could open the jar and use it. If you make home made pizza, can some pizza sauce. I put Italian seasoning and garlic powder in tomato sauce and called it pizza sauce. LOL I canned it in half pint jars, for us because it's just the two of us. For instant pizzas, use flour tortillas, lay on a cookie sheet, spread sauce, toppings and bake until cheese is melty and the edges are browning. Easy and fast meal.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on.
DH Got some hay dropped last night, I moved some plaster while he did that.
Get to get permanent crown put on a tooth....hopefully it goes well. I really don't have time to be down. Need to fold some laundry...pick tomatoes, and pack Richie's front hooves as he is still off/on. Putting back on the better hay, though it doesnt seem to be related to his founder. He might be working on an absess per my farrier, she stopped by yesterday. Though he was trimmed just last week.
Might get the girls to do the picking while I am at the dentist. DH wants to drop more hay tonight. looks light again so hoping we have another 200 bales.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm taking a leisurely morning, been on SS and TEG. Hope all goes well on the crown, teeth are expensive to fix. If Ritchie has an abscess, it will smell and have an odor. I've only had to deal with an abscess one time, a mare had one blow out at the coronet band. It smelled bad a couple of weeks before it blew. I had to stall her and treat it daily with betadine. She sure hated it and would curl her hoof up under her so I couldn't squirt the betadine on the sore.

Latest posts