Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks Baymule. Dreamed I was in a car accident and feel like it.... :tongue hope I am not getting sick.
Sounds like a rainy day. Hopefully can get some more tomatoes picked. Kid's want me to make ketchup.
Take your selenium, zinc, vitamin C and elderberry!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today is a chicken day.

BUT -- not for dinner! :lol: :lol:

@promiseacres -- hope you are feeling better - sometimes coffee & a hot shower make you feel like you will live another day. 😁 Ketchup? I think it's grand that your kids know where ketchup comes from -- cooked tomatoes & spices, not JUST "from a bottle".

Weather here is cool and sunny with low humidity. PERFECT. They say, same thru weekend. Sure hope so. I'm gonna push the work today so I won't have but a couple small jobs tomorrow -- to be home early! Good weather makes me want to be "farming". :yesss:

Last night, as I came in from closing coops...I saw a small herd of local woods deer out in the cut corn field. About 8 or so :love Sadly, as I was walking this field last week, I noticed the new owner had erected a deer stand at the rear of this field. It will be such "easy picking" for him -- I've watched "this herd" enjoy that field, into mine and over to next farm for many years. In Spring the fawns are with them....I don't have an issue with hunting, just hate for my friends to be hunted.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
It still runs perfect, but it should, it's been resting up for a number of years now.
My friend (actually we were each other's best man) worked at the same company I did, we were both pushed into retirement when the company "right sized" to make it attractive for sale, took up sewing machine repair as a "retirement job". Apparently a lot of "resting up" machines came out of the closet with the Covid virus. He had to stop taking in work, had a wait list of 75 machines.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
AHA -- so they are sewing while waiting for the canner time to be up? Hope they are making those loaves of bread at the same time. Multi taking, ya know?

Yes....my machines are old but fine. Plus have my moms. Lotta miles on these units but, still working fine. Even have a room I can devote to JUST my sewing now....if I just do it. 😁 It's very nice, if you have a project going, to be able to stand and walk away, knowing it will be just as you left it when you return. No wasted time closing up, etc. I do know that I plan to make some cozy flannel shirts this year. It's nice heavy, doesn't shrink out of shape stuff. Have plenty of it, too.

Not near as many fabric shops out there now.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's very nice, if you have a project going, to be able to stand and walk away, knowing it will be just as you left it when you return.

This is so true.
Now that the kids are gone we each have our own office. I never do officey stuff in mine, but I love to sit and read in my big overstuffed chair, and leave projects ready to come back to.

Not near as many fabric shops out there now.

Last time I went fabric shopping, with my sister who is a true fabric addict, I was shocked at the price of yardage. And patterns! No way people can sew their own clothes to save money anymore.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know if there are any fabric shops around here other than JoAnne's.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
And patterns!

About a yr ago I looked in a pattern book and almost keeled over at the prices!! I have patters from years back and many are just so easy to adapt the tiny bit for today's changes. Some need no change at all. The $1-2 price was enough for me then -- and now. $14 for a pattern?? No way.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You're not kidding about the prices of patterns, and material yardage. Our Walmart has some, but more and more am seeing stuff being sold in 1 and 2 yard precut pieces. There is a JoAnne's an hour south.... and probably east in Charlottesville. The one nice thing about being in this area are the Mennonite's, because they do alot of sewing and there are 2 fabric shops that have tons of stuff. One is more devoted to quilting.... but still lots of fabric. Used to be one in the town north 20 min... but I think it closed up. I try to stop when I see one and go in and browse. I don't sew like I used to though. Don't go anywhere I need nicer clothes. And no, you really can't save any money sewing your own anymore. Used to be I made nearly all my school dresses/skirts.... back when you couldn't wear pants to school... Made my wedding dress and bridesmaid dress and flower girl dress.... made alot of my maternity tops. Then when we danced with the 2 step club, made many matching shirts for my son and I and for a couple of other guys I partnered with. I still do alot of mending and patching jeans and such. Have tons of fabric that I ought to do something with.
Days like today are the kind that I like to get into a sewing mood and "make something". Maybe in the new house. Except there isn't very much room for that. Don't know where I am going to set up the sewing machine but I keep it out and handy for whatever....I have a sewing table that folds, that I can cut some stuff on, and have the machine and room to work...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee @promiseacres . How are you feeling this morning, besides over worked and run down? Please try to get some rest. Make a big pot of soup the family can eat off for a couple of days and give yourself a little time off. If Mom gets sick and goes down, the whole family dynamics grinds to a halt.

Butchered Neighbor Ron's 5 CCX yesterday. I told him to FEED them and he did. They were 7-8 pounds, dressed. I kept bragging on his beautiful chickens, how much meat, etc, that tickled him to death. I taught him how to scald, pluck, gut and wash, wash, wash, chickens. He helped me butcher 5 CCX for Neighbor Russell and I cut them up and froze them last night. I hit the outdoors yesterday at 8AM, sat down last night at 9 PM. Tired. Somewhere in the middle, we went to TSC for dog food and I ran into Walmart for a few things, fixed supper and did evening chores.

@Mini Horses we did have chicken last night-Chicken Mole'. I used home canned chicken, broth and a jar of Mole'. It's a quick meal, served over rice.

Neighbor Robert might come over today to help butcher his 5 CCX, don't know for sure. Neighbor Russell is coming over Saturday at daylight to butcher his other 5, he wanted 5 whole and 5 cut up. Since he has to hit the hay field at noon, I got the cut up ones out of the way. Then I can do the other 29 after BJ's hip replacement surgery!