Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
. Always something we can do.

Amen to that! ;)

I was taken aback when I looked out the kitchen window this morning and saw no goats in the "get ready pen". It was only a moment until I realized they had gone to auction yesterday. Whew...no fence holes.:D =D Wake up, gal!!

Coffee was good. Drizzly rain holding up some projects but, hope it will clear a little for a few hours. Prepping for some more layers I will pick up Tues morning. So, few more roost boards to add to a coop. Customers need eggs! Molt in full swing. I had some REALLY ugly hens coming to me yesterday -- wowser -- skin, pin feathers, rough looking girls. :old You just never get used to the sight. The roosters are trying to hide -- how proud can you be when you look so bad?! 😁

Outside wetness gives me time to work inside...and search out some fence and hay suppliers. Need to run to Lowe's and get a few things, yep -- even in some rain. They have underroof loading area. I'm good. Glad I did a feed run before the rains. So are the animals. Rains tomorrow also. :(

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good morning y'all. Up at 4:30 this morning. Son left from here to go to work, sure was nice having him for the weekend. We are taking the girls back today, I'll be out at daylight to care for all the animals. The 13 year old has been gone, visiting friends and flitting about like a social butterfly. We just figure that she needs a vacation from her little sisters. LOL

Another long day ahead of us, then tomorrow I'll be washing, cleaning house and getting ready for BJ's surgery.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee.
Made it to church, then picked up a basketball goal our pastor was selling, kids were excited. Then DH got the last bit of farmhouse roof patched, praying it holds for the winter. Got home found one our outside bunnies had died. So buried her and still got the pool covered. Now it's school today, possibly rain. We still need it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, @Mini Horses , did the goats do decent at the sale? I know that they needed to be gone, but it helps if they also bring a price that you can live with at the least and are pleasantly surprised with at best. I di that once, couldn't figure out where all the cows were at the one place, panicked, then realized we had moved them the day before....

@Baymule , I am sure you are sad to be taking the girls home... but you will be too tired out worrying about BJ for the next few weeks. Too bad your son couldn't stay a bit longer to help with chores at least. Hoping that all goes well with the surgery.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on.
Cooler this morning. Only a couple more days of 70s as highs. Dentist appointments today, hoping to go trail riding tomorrow. Need to dig potatoes, clean up in the garden. Had rain yesterday so go inside things done. Updated the bunny website, hopefully we'll get some sold or I may be butchering some of the Velveteen lops... might not be a bad thing, they taste just as good.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule prayers for BJ'S surgery today.
It's tomorrow, today he gets a day of rest and I clean house, strip the bed, wash mattress covers, fresh sheets, vacuum floors, mop, dust, make sure he can get around with the walker and nothing to trip him up. Thank you for the prayers!

Coffee is soooo good this morning!

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
There's still coffee in my pot, so I'm here till I finish it. 🤪
Got in a good full day at work yesterday. Had planned on another long day today but it's been pouring since the early hours, so I'll be home and do some more purge and organize indoors.
Looks like just cloudy weather for the next week so missing today won't be a problem.
Enjoying the fire in the woodstove this morning.

Hope you can get that ride in tomorrow @promiseacres .
Prayers for you and BJ @Baymule .

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, @Mini Horses , did the goats do decent at the sale? I know that they needed to be gone, but it helps if they also bring a price that you can live with at the least and are pleasantly surprised with at best. I di that once, couldn't figure out where all the cows were at the one place, panicked, then realized we had moved them the day before....

They did -- in fact a couple brought more than I would have paid. :D =D They were nice but, I see them every day -- with rut in full swing, they absolutely needed to be gone. They are buying hay for me.

This morning I was up before daylight, having coffee, going to pick up 15 layers I was buying -- an hour away. Waiting on light to open coops before I left....daylight comes, ooops....had left one open. Luckily had no predator visitors! Whew!! Way back in to grab stuff & leave, I notice 3 little tomato plants coming up in the yard. 😁 About 4", where chickens were thrown over ripes. I'm gonna dig & pot. MAYBE I will get lucky and get a fresh winter treat....greenhouse them with a plastic cage. ???

At any rate, drove to get birds, get home....decide to band them before adding to ones "just like" them. So before I drive closer to coop/run, I need to move some goats in that area.....open a pasture, they go in, I move truck. Get out and there is the buck in that pasture I just moved them to. :idunno Thought for a minute and ones put in there were already bred or ok to be bred. Another sigh of relief. Haven't looked to see how he managed to get in there. Later I will. Right now I'm having lunch!

So now I'm at about 50-55 hens, again. 25 just in first lay, 6 not yet at POL...close. 12 coming into 2nd yr and then -- the rest are 4 & 5 yr old. Still laying....but can't go on forever. There are 7 blue egg layers coming 5 in Feb (bought as chicks) and I have a blue egg roo -- young guy -- so they will be penned together. Soon as molt is over, I plant to incubate those eggs!! Couple of my light brown layers will get thrown in, green egg from those chicks. He will be a busy little rooster! :yesss: I love to collect colored eggs!!

My egg sales pay for their feed and then some. I have customers waiting to be regulars, so will expand that area of farm income. They're pretty easy to handle and likeable.

Last edited: