Coffee anyone ?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bruce shotgun houses are rooms in a row. Each one opens the door into the next room, no hallways. Just long and narrow, usually 3/4 small rooms long.

Dog run houses have living area and sleeping area separated by open ended wide hallway.
Love old Texas houses... I missed the start of this conversation.

Where is it?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are also the ones set up like a shotgun, but they have a covered porch added along one side, and the porch acts as the hallway.

And yes Bruce, in summer the cold water can get pretty darn hot.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here they are called "Florida cracker" style houses, they are getting very popular and sought after for rehabilitation...built on three foot pillar's but definitely need insulation and AC...don't know how they survived without AC back then ....
They didn't know any better. There's a reason people sat out on the porch, because the house was too danged hot! BTDT

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My ex's grandparents had a double shotgun house. The front door opened into the living room, then dining room, then kitchen, all open. To the left of the living room was a bedroom, then bathroom, then another bedroom that opened into the dining room. To get to the bathroom, you had to walk through one of the bedrooms.

On a good note, the TV came on and I didn't have to go up the ladder to fool with the satellite dish. YAY!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Daddy said when he was a boy, his Mom sprayed the bed sheets with water and turned the fan on. Daddy said the evaporation of the water cooled him off. There has been times in my life that I didn't have AC and I used that water spray trick. It works!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Daddy said when he was a boy, his Mom sprayed the bed sheets with water and turned the fan on. Daddy said the evaporation of the water cooled him off. There has been times in my life that I didn't have AC and I used that water spray trick. It works!
I would go to bed with my hair wet.

Helps a bunch.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH made buttered toast, thanks for the coffee. The sun is shining today! It's 11F degrees with a high of 34F today. I'll get the boiling water bucket train started in awhile, hopefully for the next to the last time. We just aren't set up for this kind of cold. I'm glad to see the end of it. My house is a wreck, floors are beyond dirty, coats hang off the barstools, blankets thrown on the couch for us to cover up with. I have kept up with laundry, afraid that water would freeze up and having a pile of dirty clothes that we need to wear. BJ has kept the dishes washed and we've had plenty to eat. So I guess we haven't done too bad. But what a mess! Probably will get worse before it gets better, now we have melting snow and mud to deal with. We have a towel for me to step on inside the door to get my boots off and that helps. I need to do a big clean up.

Latest posts