Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good morning y'all, coffee is ready. Plans for today...... hitch up the disc to the tractor and disc the pipeline. Also disc the garden if I have time. The garden is so overgrown with grass that the tiller can't get through it. I'm running behind on everything. Supposed to be rainy this week.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good morning!!! Have a cup of "hot" liquid! Coffee good, tea bags there too. ;)

Weather good here all week. :celebrate Bay, hope I can disc my garden, too. Glad I'm not the only one needing to do that, still. My grass there is not high, thank you mini mares! But still have some areas of root needing work. Maybe this year I'll get beyond that. There is a peanut shelling site less than a mile away. I used to get dump truck loads of shell from them years back. Yesterday rode by and went "duh!", you need those to mulch the garden. So, will stop in and see what I can get. Back then I used to bed run in barns. The goats loved to eat them! Actually good protein and roughage.

It would be the highlight of my week to 1) disc and 2) Get that new fence up! Trying to work those in around work schedule. 🙄

My apple trees are blooming!!!! Young trees, semi dwarf -- but pretty, smell good and I'd be sooo excited to have my "own" apples grown. Really, a dozen from each tree would make me feel accomplished! Lot of bloom on them.

During a walk about in fields yesterday, I checked my sites of elderberry growth. They are doing very well, expanding with new growth from root. This year I'll likely have enough from the farm to supply all I'll want. Four good groupings with mature to bear cane. The wild blackberry doing well, just need to keep the goats away from them....they love the leaves! The beauty berry groups are leafing out! The farm is wakening up! 😁

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another day of possible rain. Online speech and school. Going to try and get some outside things done, have some ornamental grasses that need trimmed. And lots of other things I am sure. If it rains my office needs some organization.
Need to check them but the litter I warmed up yesterday were doing great last night with their mom! Over the weekend on of our Velveteen lops was showed by her new owner and got BOSV! Basically the 2nd overall broken. Great since we aren't showing at this time.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Morning all been up and around since six. Mother called talked to her for a bit. Her neighbor has peacocks and doesnt keep them in their yard an they come in her yard eating her plants. She gonna see about getting some of the motion sensor animal replent sprayers. Outside of that the kids are feed about to finish outside chores and then get school started work. On laundry and putting some meat up. Also need to decide between pork chops or chicken fried steak both sound good lol. Need to alsp see about starting on some deep cleaning, we getting rain tomorrow hopefully enough to soften the ground so i can till some more. Tons of fun. Any ways glad everyone seems to be doing well this morning.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol this location is where the birds and goats have been for ladt 3-4 years. But we have so much clay they can only get down so far and in order to plant regardless of weeds i need to till to soften the soil enough to dig in it.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The garden is so overgrown with grass that the tiller can't get through it. I'm running behind on everything.
Put the sheepies in there!

For a no till garden, put chickens in there for a month before you want to plant.
I wonder if I could get the hens to follow me out to the garden like they do when I go into the barn to get their morning BOSS and afternoon scratch. I suspect not, they'd likely be all over their favorite places around the house. I've tried to get them to come to the garden before and mostly they don't get anywhere near that far.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
For a no till garden, put chickens in there for a month before you want to plant.

;)

A bunch of chickens = no grass and no roots. Also, very few grubs left.
I’ve put pigs in the garden, they did a great job. I actually have a coop in my garden. But there’s a problem. Hawks. They land on the gate post and screech at the chickens. So my great idea of letting the chickens till the garden was a bust. LOL

Can’t put the sheep in there now, have some struggling turnips, mustard greens and onions growing.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve put pigs in the garden, they did a great job. I actually have a coop in my garden. But there’s a problem. Hawks. They land on the gate post and screech at the chickens. So my great idea of letting the chickens till the garden was a bust. LOL
I put fishnet over the top to keep out hawks.

And since it isn't fully predator proof I like filling it with cockerels in the fall.

Up here, there is zero plant growth in the winter, so cleaning the garden in the fall works.

Latest posts