Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
New truck is more than we paid for this house and 8 acres 7 years ago.
And doesn't that make you stand in shock???!!?? I haven't looked at a new car in years. Think $15K for fully loaded...doesn't THAT tell you how long it's been? šŸ˜ :old

Hot, humid, light fog early but clear now. Just another long day at work. It's draining. Overall, tiring,...šŸ„± Gotta go!

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
None of our cars are new i dont see a point in them. 60,000 brand new for some or 6,000 for a vechicle that gets the job done. Dh does want to look into getting me a 12 passager van. He likes looking at new i dont it painful lol. No really plans today expect to catch up on folding and hanging laundry along with garden work, homeschool i pretty much current have most things done for now but that change when the kids all wake up lol.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our cars tend not to be new either, but if they are too old you pay more in maintenance than the purchase price quite quickly (our first car in our marriage). That is the draw of new cars. We split the difference and go nice (to us, I suppose, maybe not to everyone) gently used, not very old cars from known to be resilient, low maintenance brands. A fraction of the new the price yet low maintenance. We do have to budget to pay in cash as a result though, but I'm not complaining. It's better than impromptu budgeting to pay surprise maintenance costs when least convenient.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
All of ours are "old" by most comparisons. My Subaru outback is a 2001... paid 1300... ranger pu is 1996...paid 1100 6 yrs ago;.... 4x4 ranger is 1985....paid 400 nearly 8 years ago and did an engine job so have a total of about 1600 in it now... find a 4x4 for that price you can take out in bad weather on the road and in the field to check cattle.....

DS bought my dad's Ford Dually a couple years ago... I think it is 2012 or 2016 maybe.... but his next newer vehicle is a 2000 F350; which was the "good truck" and it gets about 15-18 mpg empty... very good on fuel for a heavy truck..... then we have several more....1996 (or 8?) F250 we pull the cattle trailer with, 2 that are 1990's bale trucks that also can pull the gooseneck trailers.... couple older 1980's that he uses for rough stuff in the fields and all....

The taxes on newer vehicles is just too much...after 20 years age, there are no personal property taxes on them here.... and we can do some of the work on these... and the trucks were all bought for 8,000 or less except the new dually... but that lists for way more than the 25,000 he paid my dad for it. It could be sold right now for over 30,000... we can sell the diesel engines in most of them for 4-5,000... with over 200,000 miles on them...

New trucks, like the size we use... and abuse... are in the 50-80,000 range... who would take a truck like that out in the field to get banged up????
And the electronics to run them are not cheap....

But we have a different situation than many. I figure that with my car... if it runs a year then I have little over 100/month in it... cheap transportation... I put tires on it and have done a few little things... so say I have 150/ month in it... My 2 wd drive truck has paid me back many times for the purchase price... the 4x4 I can get 1000 for it tomorrow... because it doesn't have a title and is run under farm use tags... Had someone stop the other day and asked if it was for sale....too many of them were crushed in the cash for clunkers thing years ago... parts are hard to find... and these trucks just keep on plugging along.

It does not pay to buy a vehicle for the huge price tag and pay taxes for 20 years for what we do. If I need to go a long distance away, I rent a car... their headache if it breaks down.... I'm not paying taxes or upkeep or insurance or anything, month after month. Renting has been fairly cheap..... lately I understand they are in demand and costs are up and harder to get.... but then we don't go far very often...

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
All of ours are "old" by most comparisons. My Subaru outback is a 2001... paid 1300... ranger pu is 1996...paid 1100 6 yrs ago;.... 4x4 ranger is 1985....paid 400 nearly 8 years ago and did an engine job so have a total of about 1600 in it now... find a 4x4 for that price you can take out in bad weather on the road and in the field to check cattle.....

DS bought my dad's Ford Dually a couple years ago... I think it is 2012 or 2016 maybe.... but his next newer vehicle is a 2000 F350; which was the "good truck" and it gets about 15-18 mpg empty... very good on fuel for a heavy truck..... then we have several more....1996 (or 8?) F250 we pull the cattle trailer with, 2 that are 1990's bale trucks that also can pull the gooseneck trailers.... couple older 1980's that he uses for rough stuff in the fields and all....

The taxes on newer vehicles is just too much...after 20 years age, there are no personal property taxes on them here.... and we can do some of the work on these... and the trucks were all bought for 8,000 or less except the new dually... but that lists for way more than the 25,000 he paid my dad for it. It could be sold right now for over 30,000... we can sell the diesel engines in most of them for 4-5,000... with over 200,000 miles on them...

New trucks, like the size we use... and abuse... are in the 50-80,000 range... who would take a truck like that out in the field to get banged up????
And the electronics to run them are not cheap....

But we have a different situation than many. I figure that with my car... if it runs a year then I have little over 100/month in it... cheap transportation... I put tires on it and have done a few little things... so say I have 150/ month in it... My 2 wd drive truck has paid me back many times for the purchase price... the 4x4 I can get 1000 for it tomorrow... because it doesn't have a title and is run under farm use tags... Had someone stop the other day and asked if it was for sale....too many of them were crushed in the cash for clunkers thing years ago... parts are hard to find... and these trucks just keep on plugging along.

It does not pay to buy a vehicle for the huge price tag and pay taxes for 20 years for what we do. If I need to go a long distance away, I rent a car... their headache if it breaks down.... I'm not paying taxes or upkeep or insurance or anything, month after month. Renting has been fairly cheap..... lately I understand they are in demand and costs are up and harder to get.... but then we don't go far very often...
Wow... those prices sound really good!

I had forgotten about farm tags.... we don't have those here...

But... once the vehicle is more than 10 years old you can buy a Z tag, then no more registration fees.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wish I could get a "Z" tag....or whatever they want to call it! We have farm tags but, I use my truck too much to take advantage and stay within the rules. The car is 17 and still under 100k logged. Better gas mileage, should use it more. Maybe I can convince me.

I need to get outta here....to work. Seeing more rain for Sun Thu Wed. That sounds dreary and a little bit "in my way" but, I'll deal with it. Too dry is worse, especially when pastures are a big feed source for herds. :old Garden was total bust this year! :(

It's life. Could be a whole lot worse. šŸ¤­

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that Z tag would be wonderful....
I make myself use the car more for work... convenient to have the meters and all inside..... but the truck actually gets about 1-3 mpg better than the car....I used to drive the truck for EVERYTHING until I got the subaru forrester.. and now the outback. I am really looking at putting a new motor in the forrester... I liked that car. Better gas mileage too.
Have to look at the forecast for here since DS wants to cut the sorghum... 30-40% chance this aft/eve into tomorrow... don't know after that.
@Alaskan , the prices on the vehicles were good... we watch for bargains, and sometimes buy something we don't really "need" because you never know. And DS has bought a few trucks over the years that he didn't need and then had someone looking for one and has been able to make a few dollars selling it and had the use of it for awhile. He will buy a few "wrecks" if the diesel engines are the right ones to use as replacements in some of his other trucks... got 2 right now that are "sitting" because he bought them for the engines.... most of our diesel trucks have 250,000 on the engines or more.... the one he finally had to "junk" had 450,000 and there were so many rust/rotted out holes in the cab he was getting headaches from the exhaust... we just used it to feed with... but it was just worn out..... he did salvage a lot of par off it though...