Coffee anyone ?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule Do you mean these?

092097214200.jpg

Our Lowe's has them; I wonder why yours doesn't (or maybe that employee works in the wrong department and doesn't know where to look?):idunno

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule Do you mean these?

092097214200.jpg

Our Lowe's has them; I wonder why yours doesn't (or maybe that employee works in the wrong department and doesn't know where to look?):idunno
Those will work, IF she is attaching roofing panels to metal. Even tho it says "approved for treated lumber" it also says 'for attaching corrugated panels to metal'. For wood understructure, she needs the ones Bruce linked to.

Baymule..check your local McCoys builders. They will have what you want..sold by the lb. in bulk from a big bin. Pick out as much as you want, put them in the paper sack they provide and weigh it. They will have several different kinds & lengths in bulk as well as others by the box, and probably better quality as well.
The downsides to McCoys? (if you can call them downsides)
1. Not open Sundays ('we spend our Sundays building family values')
2. They are also Preifert Distributors. Easy to get di$tracted, $idetracked, by the $hiny blue paint.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those will work, IF she is attaching roofing panels to metal. Even tho it says "approved for treated lumber" it also says 'for attaching corrugated panels to metal'. For wood understructure, she needs the ones Bruce linked to.

It was the size of the bin I was looking at - and found,a few weeks ago, just a little bit further down the aisle from the tiny plastic packages that Bay described. When I went looking for them, I also had the benefit of someone who knew what I was describing, and who went beyond the few feet of shelving that were his purview, to help me find them (in both of the sizes that have been linked). I bought the little ones that Bruce pictured.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
(in both of the sizes that have been linked). I bought the little ones that Bruce pictured.

It's not the size I was addressing. It's the type. Look at the tips of both. One, the screw with a sharp point and helix that goes all the way down will hold metal roofing onto wood for decades.
The other one with the self drilling (flat) tip will not. It is made specifically for holding metal to metal and the self drilling tip makes it hard to get the screw to even go in to wood. Once it does however, that same tip has drilled a hole almost as large in diameter as the outside of the screw threads, making it all but useless in lumber.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
But can you get something with a thread count that high to really hang on to the loose-grained yellow (or whatever) pine? If I don't pre-drill, it wants to splint, and I also have trouble with anything finer than a deck screw stripping the hole out before it gets really snug.:idunno

Latest posts