Coffee anyone ?

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Any of you with chickens might appreciate this story.....

I had two broodies that hatched out a clutch of 5. Another eggs began to hatch but they were off nest so I had to put it in the bator. Little Shasta hatched without a hitch. I let her dry and fluff then I put her back. The mommas and her siblings were happy to have her back. Two days later my incubator chicks hatched. Five chicken chicks, a turkey poult and 4 quail. Decent hatch I guess. The hubbs brought home two barred rock (hoping they are pullets).... I put the quail in my outdoor chickery brooder and moved the broodies into a modified rabbit hutch with a bit more space and some ground time available.... I was moving my brooder chicks and thought "let's see if they will just adopt these babies too". So I put their chicks (two had died so they had four) into the tub I was using to move the brooder chicks and put the broodies in my small dog crate to move. As I was waiting on our oldest to bring me something so I could settle them, I tilted the tub over a bit so the broodies could see their babies. They looked a bit shocked to see so many.... But then they immediately went back to their distressed broody clucks. Finally got them all settled in to the new space and all the chickies (even the poult) were playing and eating and drinking. Checked on them at tuck in last night and the two broodies had them ALL tucked under them, safe, sound, and warm! I got really lucky and they are such good moms, adopting such a large group of babies they didn't hatch.... soSo proud of my two girls!:weee

I hope everyone is well this AM. We are truely blessed!

Coffee is on, biscuits and gravy on the table. Help yourselves!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh My Pants! That could have gone wrong quick! I took mine out on a huge lake in our little Jon boat once. Some guys in a big boat went speeding past us and their wake flooded our boat. Of course it was our first one and we didn't know to put the battery to the trolling motor in the middle. So the back end started to sink.... We managed to get over to the shoreline but were headed into some hanging tree branches. There was a spider in its web going straight towards my face so I leaned back a wee bit. Hubbs thought I was going to stand so bear hugged me. Next thing I know I'm under the boat, feet weighing me down bc I had my boots on, not a good experience. Thankfully I was able to stand up and my head broke the surface. But my phone, that he insisted I bring so we could keep track of time, was a goner.
Decades ago, new wife, myself and wife's best friend went to Lake Chicot in Louisiana (I lived in Lafayette back then) and rented a canoe, and had a good time, paddling around, in and amongst the big cypress trees. Didn't have a bit of trouble, but got the bug...the canoeing bug. A few weeks later (this was pre-computer age--so not much done in the way of research) wife and I went to Bogue Chitto & rented a canoe for the morning float down the river.about 8-10 miles I suppose.
Had a cooler, extra clothe, our good 35 mm cameras, and blanket aboard for a stop along the river for a secluded lunch and 'maybe' some extracurricular activity. We, as 'experts' (having been in a canoe exactly 1 time previous) laughed as other novices capcised and dumped themselves and their belongings out into the coolish spring fed river. All went well, even thru the first few frequent little rapids and tight spots until I got tired of paddling while sitting down on that low seat and decided I would be much more comfortable with most of my 6'4" frame perched up on our 48 qt Igloo cooler. About the 3rd paddle stroke from my new lofty vantage point, I dumped us and everything we had into the river................no lunch (or anything else) for us that day. Cooler floated downstream..lid came open of course, samiches, snacks, fruit and drinks headed Southeast toward Mississippi. Cameras, still on straps around our necks... wet, as the same canoeists we had just made fun of paddled smugly around us. (they did stop and help us gather our belongings.)

Undeterred, (as if we had a choice) we righted our vessel, and finished the trip, wiser and wetter.

Some years later, we moved to West Texas, and bought a 16' canoe and spent many many hours on the area lakes and rivers in some absolutely beautiful country and got very good at it. I think this is on a trip down Devil's River but may have been on the lower Pecos.
canoe4.jpg

Last edited:

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
On the way home from the children’s hospital again. DD2 complained of a sore neck on one side all day and held her hand on it. She cried a lot and she has a high pain tolerance. She then spiked a temp. Needless to say, that’s gotta be checked out with all of her other medical issues. After terrifying the ER docs with concerns related to her shunts and possible meningitis, she ended up testing positive for strep. Praise God! We just have to give antibiotics and continue to monitor. She gets to go home! This is huge! (It didn’t take 7.5 hrs this time either.)

I’m supposed to get up for work in 5 hours. We still have almost an hour to get home. I’ll be drinking lots of coffee tomorrow!!!

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:hu We were camping as young as two weeks. Aaaaaaaaall seven children 0-10. In a tent.
I'm approaching my 60's. When we took our kiddos, I was young as well. My son and daughter were babies at time. I'm too old to babysit in the woods now. Once the grand kids get some miles on them and become more self sustainable, then I can enjoy the rustic retreat lifestyle again. Dragging a 4 y/o autistic child out to the woods is not a mini vacation by any means.
Whether they like it or not! ;)
My kids were born before beepers/pagers/cell phones. They lived to be outdoors. They loved camping. Especially the camping & fishing times. Both were in Scouting. Both troops were heavy Camping Troops..
Nothing like fishing for catfish with the kids and 3 hours later cooking them with the kids in a cast iron skillet on a camp fire.
I have tons of fond memories on 110 film, if anyone really remembers what that was..lol
The good ole days were good. Yes indeed.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ahhhh! Coffee day.
I have been drinking a cup of brewed green tea in the morning and one after supper for its benefits. I get a dab of caffeine, but on Saturdays I drink a cup of coffee after my green tea! Lost 18 lbs since middle of July. Once get to goal, I might go back to... nah, probably try to keep doing the same regiment.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Soap Operas? -- Same story, different day. :D We all have them! Some just share more than others.

MH -- glad all went well for the little dude. Youngins heal quickly so he'll be good as new in "no time". And, yeah, how IS that new job working for you?

Sucked up coffee & courage this AM. Had to "get 'er done!"

Called butcher..can't do until Tues. Too long! I called the father of the young guy behind me, to get a number. Telling him what I needed, he says I'm here all weekend and can do it for you!!:clap Call me when ready & I'll come up. I knew he hunted & butchered them but, find out he does it for friends and smokes turkeys, sausage, etc. Has an entire processing set up at his home 40 miles away. At this point I'm feeling I hit the jackpot. He says, never done a goat -- I said, I've been told do it like a deer & I've never done either. We're good!! :cool: The take out was kind, swift and heartbreaking...but, I swallowed HARD, wiped my eyes and said, let's move on. So 10:30 ish done & on ice.

I am sad & glad, at same time. Sad this lovely girl is gone (& she caused it!!) but, glad it is "done" humanely & I did not have to do the deed.

Tried to give meat, eggs, chickens to butcher...nada. "Just pass it on" Glad I could help. :) (I have a lot of passing to do)

Now I hope to have good news the rest of the weekend!! Everyone have fun and enjoy yourselves. Thanks for letting me share my downers and glad we can all share good & bad with caring & support. It's a great "family'! THANKS.

Latest posts