Coffee anyone ?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Though I am not a "shelter supporter", I do hope that if this is the one, that you are successful. I hope you aren't paying pedigree costs to acquire this dog.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks WH.

LS, the adoption fee is about the same as the rest of the rescue groups around here. I really haven't been looking for another dog until today. My SIL sent me a picture and I figured I can at least submit an application. Some places has a long process, some places may not even call back.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Home today for first day of three! Thought I was having a good run. Then, this happens.

:idunno -- today my beautiful, athletic, always a PITA coming 2 y/o doe tried to jump a fence. Goes over 4' like a deer, this one a little taller and a CP, so not forgiving. She caught her rear leg, snapped the bone and has a lovely compound fracture :ep:he:th. Yep, she was hobbling and I went to check, there it was bone & all looking at me. Not bleeding or such. I wrapped it in clean cloth & but vet wrap to hold it on--keep flies away, limit dragging, no more dirt/grass in it. Not a reset thing and she will have to be put down. :( Vet would be min $700 and that's because leg would have to be off about 3' above ankle. So, if she didn't get infected, etc., a 3 legged goat and huge bill. Can't justify that. Just can't !!

So, asked around to find a hunter who would do the deed and help butcher....I'd give them most of the meat (I'd want a piece to try it -- haven't had goat in yrs.) 2 didn't want to shoot for "only" a broken leg.:th How about, she isn't going to live with it??!! People butcher goats for meat all the time! Geesh. I have NEVER done from step on on an animal like this … really don't want to do the kill but -- I may be becoming EXTREMELY SS in a short while. I don't want to wait beyond tomorrow morning as I do not want to have her like this and risk ANY issues with the meat. I am hoping the neighbor behind me -- who deer hunts! -- will say yes when he gets home tonight.

While I hate to lose her, I sure can't see SSS and wasting a good amount of meat when I know she is healthy, well fed and of good flesh. I mean, common sense has to prevail here. Right? She gets up and grazes like it was a sprain.

If Baymule were here we'd be grilling by now!! :hide

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh no....that's a shame! Heck, if I were there I'd help you too. It's not something that anybody wants to do - but I agree - it has to be done. The first one is sure the hardest. I have to psych myself up to do it and the worst thing to do is to hesitate. If I hesitate I'm in trouble....

Really hope you can find someone to help you. I'm so sorry about this. :hugs

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Gosh Mini, I hated to like your post, but I sure hope you can make lemonade out of the lemons you've been handed. As with the others before me, If I was there I'd help you no issue. If you can't find a hunter/neighbor to do it for you, perhaps a local butcher can do the whole deal for a reasonable cost? That way you bring the doe to them, and a week or two from now, you go pick up packaged, frozen meat. Or maybe advertise the goat for sale as meat on CL? No protein gains for you, but maybe recoup a little $$...

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nearest butcher is 40 miles...weekend, of course! I'll get it resolved early morning. Hard decision but, right one for the farm. She was born here. 1/4 Saanen 3/4 Nubian. I had retained her for eventual milking. :rolleyes:

Then....more wonderful happenings...had other 14 does in a forage field and the young buck, another field and an alley away made his way to them. Remember all those flagging tails I mentioned? Well, he ain't a virgin any more! There were 5 doelings I had hoped to wait into early 2019 & still will if not bred. A very thorough check left me feeling they were not, plus none had been flagging this week. They are 8-10 mos & of good weight but, not my choice. (Yeah, I have lute on hand, if) Of course it looks like 7 of the adult does were serviced. The older buck didn't fit thru the little opening, so he's kinda PO'd. :cool:

Sure gonna need coffee in the AM!!! Strong & plentiful, it will be a long, long day.