1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Peachicks - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Coffee anyone ?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sourland, May 7, 2017.

1. Apr 21, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Good morning and Happy Easter!

Mini Horses and Rammy like this.
  2. Apr 21, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

I have LOTS of wild ones here. At some point I would like blackberries & raspberries. Not happening this year. But plans to do maybe next -- unless huge sale on plants :lol:

No. I make a few jars of fig preserves. Used to make a lot of strawberry -- from fresh picked -- because my DH liked them a lot. Personally I don't use more than one or two jars of any jams a year, so not really worth my time. Made 8 half pints of fig ones last year and still 7 are unopened. At least they last a while :D Just rarely have toast and so, rarely jams/jellies.

This morning with coffee I had 2 slices of sausage and some cabbage slaw :eek: I know, weird breakfast. :D =D I need to eat more of these plentiful, good for you eggs! Going out to milk shortly. That's starting up again. But love the milk. I drink coffee straight up but, hot tea needs cream & just a touch of sugar. Within the next 30 days I will be needing to regularly spin milk for cream & butter -- best results in early lactation -- then cheeses need to happen. I love lasagna and the goat cheese is "free" and plentiful. Plan to do a few "hard" cheese this year, first time. Have to go buy the rennet, enzymes, whatever :rolleyes: Only the kefir ones in hand. Discovered a local shop for all this, only 50 miles out.

:bunny Happy Easter everyone!

3. Apr 21, 2019
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

Jams and jellies ain't just for toast anymore, @Mini Horses , ya can use them to make a glaze for most meats....a pork roast or chops in a crockpot with a couple of Tbsp of blackberry jelly or jam makes for some tasty pork....and adding some orange marmalade to some steam saute chicken, gives it a real zest of fresh taste....course, there is always homemade biscuits!!....but, that is bread and many try to avoid that these days and times.....:)

4. Apr 21, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

YUM!

5. Apr 21, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

Yeah -- cooking with is an option & one I've used often. Love bread & biscuits just don't eat much of them. Those things seem to settle on the hips now days. :lol: And while I don't actually diet, eat what I want, I do tend to move toward the lower calories. I "graze" a lot -- low blood sugars -- so I have learned to stay away from the things that cause the sugar highs & lows, to keep stable. Have milk with the cookies. :D

I am a good cook but, when just ONE to cook & eat you often lull through meals. Healthy, dense nutrition is my main goal. Then there's that brain fart and I eat the entire chocolate cake! :old Aging has it's challenges. I can attest to that and I am among the lucky ones who has been healthy & active. Figure I have another 30 yrs on this body & in this life.

6. Apr 21, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

Had to milk Brat. I mean, she was slapping that udder back & forth with every step! Had previously taken a quart of colostrum and a quart on each of next 2 days of milk/colostrum. Today, day 5 after kidding, it was just unreal!! Her twins are huge and nursing. But she needed at least 3 more to suckle. I took 3 quarts and she looks like she's ready to walk into the milk parlor now. o_O But, not the over extended sight she was. The milk is like drinking half & half -- sweet cream. Just no way she could not be milked. I know they make what's used but, she had so much it had to come out or explode. Her twin sisters, a year younger, are not quite as bad but still huge. Milk goats, for sure!!!!!! I am amazed. It's not from overfeeding. Her mom was quite a prolific producer!

THEN -- garden woes. Wanted to go pick up a mower, trailer loaded with heavy metal shelving units. Thanks DS! Wanted to cut grass & till. Considered a tiller...have one but, it's a tow with mower one...need mower. :lol: Called TSC..would rent their trailer for $15. They are closed today! :idunno Thought I'd bushhog a field, can't get the darned thing pushed onto the PTO (ALWAYS an issue -- no one here to help). Did chores, cussed, nothing solved my predicament. :barnie

Wish I had a hot tub! Long soak & glass of wine sounds good right now. I need to relax.

Oh, well, guess I will go cuddle with the goat kids. At least they won't be a disappointment. :love I'm over my rant. I'm sure this group understands. :D =D

7. Apr 21, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

I've certainly had days like that - so rant away!

8. Apr 21, 2019
    r3bauer

r3bauer Loving the herd life

Hello all. Day 3 of the hostage situation. Aka recovery lol. Things are going well. DS2 mowed the yard for me. DS3 prepped the garden beds.

9. Apr 21, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

LOL -glad you're doing better! Thank goodness for your helpers!

10. Apr 21, 2019
    Alaskan

Alaskan True BYH Addict

Merry Christmas!

My place today. :eek:

The church after morning services

20190421_130343.jpg
    My pond
    20190421_125532.jpg

The priest said he saw a wild mallard walking about on the ice on the church pond.

Clearly a mentally retarded mallard.

promiseacres, Baymule, Rammy and 3 others like this.