Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well -- belt broke on tiller, went to TSC & got one. By the time I got home, time to get ready for work. So, three laps around the outside edges and kapoot! Rain by daybreak -- home tomorrow & will be mighty annoyed watching it rain on my parade!!!!! I'd be happy to just get the tomato area done, so I can transplant these huge tomato plants. The rest could get done later in week. I'm sure praying for a light and fast rain.

On the good side -- before I left this afternoon, one hen had hatched 2 chicks, one still wet. Tonight, she had 3 chicks & 2 eggs. Another nest/hen had a lone chick & couple eggs, took that chick to #1 hen. A third nest (2 hens on it) had a single chick, 9 more eggs, took chick to hen #1 -- who now has 5 chicks & 2 eggs. It's dark & by daylight all should "be hers".

Obviously I had not penned them off and volunteer eggs appeared, so hatching will be odd. I plan to swap out and eventually the eggs, too. Like the two at hen #1. If not hatched out tomorrow, I will add to another nest. Musical chairs?? Or, musical chicks.

Figure more will be hatched and raised that way. It's tough to check them all each day. They attack! Will put mom & chicks into other pens as they stop sitting. Takes a day or two. Then.....will see.

They sure are cute! :love

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, GB you sure do have some history with that river. Sure you don’t have river water in your veins?

Been up since 2:30 AM. The 4 year old woke up throwing up. Got her bed, then mine, her, me, wound up in my recliner.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good morning. Coffee is on. Sun is shining and we are taking the day to get things done around here after church.
Yesterday got home in time for DH to mow our place...it was just a bit long... we will go to the farm this afternoon to mow, unload a trailer and do some clean up. All I can say about thsee last couple of days is that family sure can suck.... I:tongue
@Baymulecan't like your update... hope you can rest today.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yuck poor baby I hope she feels better and you don't get it.
Gray well I glad the river behaving an I have never heard of that river but I really dont go toward Houston area. We don't travel much . The older kids stopped running fever late last night don know if it was because of the every three hour meds or not didn't risk taking them off of the medicine. So far only me and Josiah are awake.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have baby chicks hatching out

Me, too -- everywhere! :lol: Moved hen & 5 chicks. Put her last 2 eggs under hen next nest over. Had checked this AM and had one hen with 1 chick & 9 more eggs. Another nest with 2 hens had a JUST out wet chick & another egg. So, was going to take those 2 single chicks to move with 5. Tonight, when moving time came, went for chick from hen with lots of eggs -- she then had 5 chicks hatched and attacking me!! So, got the single from others and stuffed it in with her & hers. Busy hatch day! Still have 22 eggs under hens. Some will get moved as hatches happen.

NOW...rain at wake up, light and quit soon after. I went to garden to till, had to change belt...de rust 3 bolts to remove cover...make 3 trips to TSC for belts. Now, it just won't start! OLD tiller given to me, had it running yesterday then belt went. Did I say OLD? At least 30! Will make a couple calls tomorrow for info...& narrower belt. :( We should know that "free" isn't. :lol: but, engine strong when running. I'm sure it's minor. :rolleyes: It did rain more but, ok.

Guess I'll pull the deck from the mower and pull the other tiller around to get it done! Just didn't want to do the deck thing. :hit Son says he'll look at it tomorrow. :idunno

Back to work tomorrow...busy week.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
How do you get so many broody hens? What breed/breeds? I want broody hens, never get one. :hit

However, The Looney Gooney Guineas, (on their 3rd nest) have a group effort going on. There is a traditional dark pearl female, a lighter, kinda washed out dirty brown pearl female and a big white with a faint pearl pattern male. The two females share a nest, the male guards, but mainly the dark pearl female. He chases away the light colored female. There got to be 25-30-ish eggs in the nest and the dark pearl started setting Friday. :celebrate As I understand it, there is a high mortality rate on the hatchlings, we'll see how it goes. A neighbor wants guineas, I was about to pull eggs from the nest to incubate, when she started setting.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
One more chick hatched out, total of 15 out of 24 eggs. Yesterday was the official hatch day, but they started popping out of eggs on Friday.

I slept like a rock last night. The 2 year old had me up at 4:30 Saturday morning, the 4 year old had me up at 2:30 Sunday morning. My comforting thought is that their parents got some rest and sleep. LOL We keep all 3 girls at least once a month for the whole weekend so their zombie parents can sleep. Both of them have been in school, son in law to get his Masters and is applying for principal and assistant principal positions in the various school districts around here. Daughter is almost done with her PHD, after this week, she just has to write her dissertation and she will do that over the summer.