Coffee anyone ?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
And neither did you!
:epOh yes I did, lol. If you've ever held down a venomous 5 lb snake that was trying to bite you - you'd know what I mean! I was dripping sweat and shaking by the time that snake was dead. I worked HARD for the pigs free meal! Just hope I don't have to get their next meal that way! :fl

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
While I on the other hand don't even look at listings that don't have pictures. If I want to consider buying something, I want to weed out the crap.

Can't you just connect the camera to the computer with a USB cable?
With the camera I have it makes no sense...I have to download the easyshare thing into my computer but my laptop blocks it from downloading. I contacted the company and they talked me through it today but the problem is my laptop :rolleyes:
And when I post pictures on CL my ads will automatically get flagged. If I don't post pictures it works out okay.
I sold 4 rabbits today and have another sale tomorrow.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
They have a no animal sales policy if you advertise on pets, but there are TONS of dog breeders advertising puppies for $1000 and they don't get flagged...but my rabbits do. I can't put them under farm/garden...they do allow legal sales of livestock but my ads get flagged within minutes on there...I just take my chances with pets and general for sale.

Just crazy! :eek:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh I know...there was a time a few weeks ago when all my ads were getting flagged within 20 minutes of being posted.
I knew exactly who it was, so I started flagging all their ads and they finally stopped :lol:

Whoever that is...sure is petty. Crazy that they wouldn't leave you alone until you flagged them back. ..

I am feeling old.... starting to be tempted to start yelling "get off my lawn!" :old

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whoever that is...sure is petty. Crazy that they wouldn't leave you alone until you flagged them back. ..

I am feeling old.... starting to be tempted to start yelling "get off my lawn!" :old
People sure are strange aren't they?
I don't see the point of flagging another breeders ads, our rabbits aren't even close to similar...same breed but a world of difference. I just assume people will pick what they want and like in a rabbit and if it's mine that's great, if not...there will be someone else :)
Another thing I can't understand for the life of me is why people scam you by acting interested in a rabbit, then set up a place and time and never show up or make up some phony story explaining why they can't make it. Then the SAME people will write to another one of my ads (not knowing it's me) and ask the same questions. I used to ignore them but now I call them out on it.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
CL has those "odd little people" in certain areas -- others don't care! We have meat rabbits advertised a LOT around here. Mostly they are as breeders, not harvesters. Maybe that makes those opposed to using them for a meal less inclined to flag. I sold my pigs on there quickly & without incident. There are always a "few" of those people out there.

Yesterday I took 7 goats to auction. Market was down a little in price but, not terrible. Plus it was a fun & interesting day -- so away from the normal "work-a-day" day. I was able to load the 5 young bucklings without issue -- :celebrate -- feed buckets rule! Then took them to the sale, returned home and thought to load 4 does. Two didn't want to be in the party. OK! Took those 2 who loaded & delivered them. Thought about going back home to change clothes but, looked around and saw we all looked pretty similar, so stayed and checked out all the other "for sales" until auction time. It's only a 15 minute drive from home, but would have taken 45 by time I got back -- stayed there.

It ended well. A lot of poultry there!! Some beautiful turkeys of all ages, same with chickens (& many types!), rabbits, a lot of cages & carriers for sale, plus goats, sheep, pigs, even 1 llama...oh, yeah, 2 Great Pyr puppies :love. So, I bought 7 beautiful pullets @ 8.50 each. Hey, I can't raise them for THAT! Wanted a few replacement layers, new blood. Couldn't believe how many were buying cages of roosters at $7-9 each bird. They auctioned a "cage" and at per bird bid. Heck, next time I may take a few roos! :D =D There were some terrific trios of specialized breeds, etc. Thought about turkeys but, freezer full of them! I refrained, don't need. :D The pigs you couldn't give away! SURE thought of Bay...one brought 3 huge pigs (all cleaned up!) 2 sows & a boar...500# each, easy. $80 each. Then one boar, probably 700#, that was a truly great looking hog! If you were a breeder, you would want him. $45. later, someone got it. Big dark red hog, quiet...nice animal, really nice. :idunno This guy was almost waist high on me. But -- taint? Who knows. Sure wouldn't fit in the back of the little Ford Ranger I had there! Good thing I had DD truck & not my trailer. :duc

This morning it was nice to be back to only my 2 adult bucks. Not only less to feed but, less hassle. The two does sold were ones who didn't get bred this past year and one was a "troublemaker", other just standoffish...nice change. The new pullets (approx. 4 mos) were put into a lovely pen that DS had put up for ducks he sold & had been unused for a couple months. So, I used it! :D About 10X12, 6' tall & 1' in ground of chain link, roofed in chainlink, small shelter inside. Nice. It isn't next to others but, good location until I pull some roosters and re organize current coop occupants. Couple weeks out.

With all that out of the way, I find my morning coffee quite relaxing today. :D =D It is especially so since I have a very heavy work week coming up and see NO time to deal with buckliings who thought they were "all that" or building another chicken pen. The mature bucks have pens where I can separate -- they are fine until rut, which is starting up here. :he Plus, have a check in hand.

Hope every one enjoyed your "absentee" trip to the auction. :lol: Something to read & ponder with breakfast, right? Well, I was happy to share. :caf :yesss:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee, on my second cup. Got the water sprinklers going on my two new pasture patches. It is so dry here. The loose sand is up to a foot deep in places. There is a patch of sand on the side of the house that we have to put the mule in 4WD to drive through it. The biggest fertilizer I need is humus. I use everything I can get my hands on. Wood chips, hay, dead hay from around the round bales. I spread the stemmy hay the sheep don't eat in their lot, they oblige me by pooping and peeing on it, the hens scratch through it, turn it and poop on it too. Compost making at it's finest! LOL

@Mini Horses you know me, I would have been buying one of those big hogs. Someone else has already fed them up to a huge size, all you gotta do is clean them up. I worm them when I get them home, apple flavored ivermectin for horses in a bread sandwich works nicely. The secret is roughage. I'll sour milk and soak hay sections in it to get them started. They get hay, soured corn, boiled eggs, and a all purpose pellet that is 14% protein. Sometimes I use soaked beet shreds. Anything that will get them to eat roughage. Our last huge hog, Wilbur, loved elm and sassafras leaves and I picked him some every day. We kept him 45 days and off to slaughter. No taint. I'll take a large, unwanted hog over a weaner piglet ANY day! More meat, WAY less money!

Sounds like a good day at the auction. So far, all our sales have been to individuals. But someday I may get volume up enough that I don't want to fool with individuals as much. Then I'll be on the hunt for a good auction to take them to. It seems the best ones for sheep and goats are in west Texas-a bit far off.

Latest posts