Coffee anyone ?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Raining here too @Mini Horses . Can't believe I can actually hear it on the roof.:yesss: Landlord actually got the porch roof fixed, well, the ones he hired to do it. After 6 months.....:idunno

Got all the stuff I need for work in the back of the truck, will load the sample bottles and the computer when I go out to leave. Won't have to worry about hauling water today as they won't be drinking so much with the grass being wet either. We should be out of rain by 2 or 3. Hope we get an inch or more just because of how dry we are.:fl It will be a start to helping out the soil. I think this will take alot of leaves out of the trees. They are saying wind coming in behind this precip:hu

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you are sending us your rain.

I like to share :D didn't need it all.

This morning ours is coming from the South, after NC used some. This afternoon from the West, where FarmerJan used a little first.
See? Sharing is what we do! :lol: I suspect TN was involved, too.:idunno

Farmers here rushed to get the P-nuts out and up this past week. They sprayed the cotton fields and now, with dying foliage, the cotton is really showing. Should be a good crop. In a couple days, it will dry off and they will harvest. Didn't see as much soybean this year. Hmmm.

I gathered a few bags & packages of some seed that I'm heading out to toss onto the fields that have some shorter areas, where the harder rains today will wash it to the ground. Some will sprout, some will lay until Spring & sprout then. Best are ones that get a little root going now, then jump up in Spring. :D Part of this is winter rye and winter wheat, a mixture; plus heavy top turnips, rape seed, australian peas, vetch, clover. Not raining at the moment but...still here and coming.

Animals are all hunkered down in their barns...except chickens. :D =D

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is POURING here right now. Sure am not looking to go out in it.... but I want to get the farm done, so guess I will go on and go. I could put him off to next week, he said he didn't care. This is stay in weather..... but who knows what next week will be like either. It is a chilly 52 out with the rain.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, tariff's could be part of it. Then we had an extremely wet Spring. Some couldn't work their fields -- probably had to decide what to grow, could grow, etc. :idunno crops can be a difficult life. The deer will be missing a lot of protein this Fall. But they're fat anyway.

Turkey flocks are huge this year.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
A huge rainstorm came through last night...it wasn't even in the forecast :rant
It was pouring and the wind was crazy...woke me at 2 AM, then I realized that I didn't have any of the rabbits 'rain-ready' so I went out with my flashlight and got them all set up for rain. Went back inside, took a shower, and tried to go back to sleep with not much luck.
Not sure where the storm came from, but it left behind 2 1/2 inches of rain and lots of tree branches to pick up :confused:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on.
Snuck in a trail ride yesterday. It was cool, high 40s and windy but a good ride. But fighting a sinus headache and sore throat... went to bed early last night...
DH is going to try to get a couple days off so we can reroof our hay shed. Hoping he can.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good morning. Thanks for the coffee. I woke up at 3:30, went back to sleep, woke up at 4:30, went back to sleep. Got up at 5:30. 43 degrees this morning, winds 5 MPH, so we are going to burn our colossal burn pile that we have been building for months. We dragged up more yesterday, and laid it aside. The back of the mule is full too. We'll burn the pile down, then toss on more. Tomorrow we are planning on slaughtering old layer hens. Then I'll spend the next couple of days canning.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
No wind..good day to burn.

I'm helping DD move some downed trees from woods to yard tomorrow. They've been laying for a few months, so she will cut and spilt as needed over next couple weeks. She has about 5 cords ready & dry, so no rush with this. Then, my own work on the farm to get done. So busy tomorrow. Today -- giving out popcorn samples. :idunno

One buck slipped into a field of does yesterday and smelled every butt out there! All are either bred or not in season. :rolleyes: Need to review dates he visited previously -- kidding will surely start earlier than I had planned. :( Well, get it over with!

Hope shop has my truck repairs complete tomorrow. I am tired of waiting. 2 week backup when it went in, finally "my" turn. :D =D

Almost 2" rain yesterday, clear and sunny today. Cool. Tomorrow sunshine and 65 daytime. Hmmm...jacket time. Glad to have the clearing. I did get my spot seeding done in a couple pastures, currently resting ones, between rain showers. The later rain was hard & plentiful as predicted. So the little seeds got washed down to ground & some recently cut grass mulch floated to cover them. The manure that was cut & spread will fertilize as well. It will sprout & get some light growth. The cold weather seed will grow nicely and be edible in a month...kale, turnip greens, winter wheat, etc. A December treat for the grazers. Rain again Sunday or Monday. Seems our "moderate drought" is over. :clap