Coffee anyone ?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee on.
Mom got her horses sold... not a day I want to repeat. I don't like this auction...seems a bit twisted so dealers can get cheap horses. :duc

Got kid's their pumpkins and rabbit cages cleaned before we left.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get it on the auction but sometimes you just don’t have a lot of choice. They are gone but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Today I simmer chicken bones for broth, then strain and can the broth. Another long day in the kitchen.

I’ll set the bones to simmer, then go out to do chores. I have a round bale coming for the sheep so I have to take my cow panels apart and pitchfork all the dead hay out of the way. I pitchfork the good hay into a wagon and give to the slaughter lambs. That takes a couple hours. I’m tired and haven’t even got started yet.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feel ya @Baymule on being tired before you even start. You've had a busy couple of days. I've got hay moving chores in front of me this morning too. Need to scrape the old out and put a new round bale under the shelter - then get all the panels around it. The pigs have been bedding down in the leftover hay pile and they're not going to be happy that I'm moving them. Oh well....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You two have the chores that will hit here in about 6-8 weeks. Yeah, I'm dreading it! But, a couple rolls will sure help me on the "day to day" feed chores, while keeping tummies full. At this point in the size of the "herds" I have a couple options of where to place them...fully covered :bow. That sure helps with the length they will last for good forage. :clap Still some waste from pull out but, I can deal with that. Plus easy to pull out onto surrounding pastures for final rot. Not planned 20 yrs ago but, sure nice now. :D =D Two big metal 20x24 carports & one side of a bigger run in...they're even in 3 locations. Luck. They can fully stand under shelter while they eat. I love that, even if they don't care. :D

RAIN .. all .. day.. since about 2AM. For once, they got it right. It's just as they predicted. :hu And, just as I knew, goats all out there "looking" for me. I didn't disappoint. Had already placed the hay in the equipment side of their barn, just tossed to them. Naturally, some of it will be bedding in an hr or so -- tried not to OVERdo but...! The horses ate hay I placed outside in the pastures late evening, hoping they'd be full and not consume the entire amount I had loaded into their hay racks in the run-in for morning. Little lull in rains now but, we have balance of day and it is the most dreary day out there! I think every window shade is up and lights on in the house! 69 out there so not cold for the mares who are getting a little shower...their choice. Chickens are happily eating any floating worms they find. :D =D Feeders are full...water, everywhere.:eek:

Those with sunshine and lovely temps...Enjoy it for me, too. :old

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So it slacked raining & I went to DDs to replace the spark plug wires I had gotten for her little truck. Of course, it started back up about 1/2 way thru & I ha not put it under cover first. Well, water is just wet -- and it wasn't more than drizzle/mist.
Wasn't fun but, done!! Those rascally engine lights are now off. :celebrate Had to get that done so truck could be driven.

Back up to house, fed, closed coops and cooked a lovely NY strip and some peas. I'm done! Last load of laundry in dryer. Back to up at 5:30, DGD to school, then work, then? Two more days of being the licensed driver with her!! Then she's a loner. :D

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bet it runs a lot better with new wires. They are something that we just don't think about but I recall Tom and Ray say a few times that when they get old and possibly wet inside the casing they go bad.

Do I get the VAGUE impression that you'll be happy to get out of "bus duty"??

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We cleaned out the hay bale area under the sheep barn, loaded it in the mule and pitched it onto piles of branches that we placed to rot. We spread some around under the trees and worked a big pile of dead hay and sheep poop down, making several loads in the mule and spreading it.

I am going to make a couple of covered hay huts on skids. One for the horses and one for the sheep. It won't be right away, but it is on my radar.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on.
Rain and wind for us today .
School, 4h meeting and getting the camper ready!!!! Yes this Friday we are going horse camping. :celebrate:celebrateit's our local state parks Halloween weekend. Lots of soup, trick or treating, costume contest with the horses. And lots of riding.

Latest posts