Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Duckfarmerpa1 you got a lesson, as FarmerJan points out -- if not into this lifestyle, they are appalled! Here, it's just life to harvest the animals you have raised for meals. The "city folk" only know that chicken comes from Tyson or Perdue, never a consideration that it was ALIVE before it got into the plastic wrap. They just assume it is "made that way". :lol:

At the large animal livestock it is normally by pound, with exception for things like young stock. Where small livestock sell, generally by the head. The cattle here went by head, probably 12-14 total. This is primarily goat & sheep, with some months that birds & rabbits are added.

The storm front has broken up some in our area -- meaning we didn't get so much rain from it. Alas, another is heading in from NW and if the two meet there will be an argument. Otherwise, calmer and cooler mid week. We have had unusually warm weather here.

Now, several of my goats are bagging and I expect the cold will come in for the events. That's what I don't like about the Jan/Feb kids....we are all cold. Those are the days I'm out and unhappy. It does get them ready to sell in time for some of the ethnic holidays and better prices. But, last year I had late kiddings, enjoyed the weather and sold with only a slight drop in price. It's a daily butt check chore, at feeding lineup. It's life on the farm.

Now that I brought in these 8 new birds -- I put them into a pen I had planned to use for holding the roos to butcher. Tomorrow I will need to revise plans for these boys. Probably add a roost in one of the run ins that's fully fence contained. Only need 3 or 4 days there...then they will be on ice, then canned. Musical chairs! Gotta love it. LOL.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like that the neighbor isn't one I would want to spend alot of time with either. Most men that are that "old school" don't think a female can know about farming. I got alot of that when I first moved here. But you just go about things quietly in your own way and if it keeps working, then slowly they will grudgingly give you some credit. Some never do. He might be one of them.
I think you might be better off not getting anymore involved with him other than neighbors. Plus if he doesn't have running water I can imagine there is the personal hygiene thing too.....

It is really better to NOT get too descriptive when you are disposing of an animal. People just don't get it, unless they are like ones on here. Better to just do it and quietly and not get into it with friends that are from a former life time and life style. Most will not see the humor in that unless they are true farmers.
Don't know why the auctioneer would switch from selling by the head to selling by the lb unless the ones bringing in the animals have requested that. And since I don't small animal auctions like that I really can't tell you.
Ohh, we thought they would be glad i got rid of Spike..obviously not...from now on...I’m not saying a word!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Duckfarmerpa1 you got a lesson, as FarmerJan points out -- if not into this lifestyle, they are appalled! Here, it's just life to harvest the animals you have raised for meals. The "city folk" only know that chicken comes from Tyson or Perdue, never a consideration that it was ALIVE before it got into the plastic wrap. They just assume it is "made that way". :lol:

At the large animal livestock it is normally by pound, with exception for things like young stock. Where small livestock sell, generally by the head. The cattle here went by head, probably 12-14 total. This is primarily goat & sheep, with some months that birds & rabbits are added.

The storm front has broken up some in our area -- meaning we didn't get so much rain from it. Alas, another is heading in from NW and if the two meet there will be an argument. Otherwise, calmer and cooler mid week. We have had unusually warm weather here.

Now, several of my goats are bagging and I expect the cold will come in for the events. That's what I don't like about the Jan/Feb kids....we are all cold. Those are the days I'm out and unhappy. It does get them ready to sell in time for some of the ethnic holidays and better prices. But, last year I had late kiddings, enjoyed the weather and sold with only a slight drop in price. It's a daily butt check chore, at feeding lineup. It's life on the farm.

Now that I brought in these 8 new birds -- I put them into a pen I had planned to use for holding the roos to butcher. Tomorrow I will need to revise plans for these boys. Probably add a roost in one of the run ins that's fully fence contained. Only need 3 or 4 days there...then they will be on ice, then canned. Musical chairs! Gotta love it. LOL.
How many goats do you have and what breeds? Obviously I’m brand new to all of this so, by the daily butt check, are you checking their bag to see it get bigger, and therefore a clue to time to go? Or the temp of the doe?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
But my hubby said mo

st of it will be fat so what you’re mostly paying for is his fat to get cut of, and then you get the real stuff you want to eat.
You should read Baymule's thread about Wilbur.
Coffee is on. News says a trend of more millinials moving to small urban homes.... no lawns... go for it is my opinion.... let those of us who want to use the land have it. I still don't see us having an issue selling our place. :hide

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What an ugly yucky day. Strong thunderstorms last night, thunder woke me up, shaking the house. HEAVY rain continuing this morning. Walked through an inch of water to feed the animals...and I live on a steep hill! Didn't even do a close inspection of the new kits, just glanced in the nest while I fed. Scattered all over the box.....not in a neat little pile. Concerned about nursing, but guess they'll snuggle to the warmth of Mama when she gets in?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
But my hubby said mo

st of it will be fat so what you’re mostly paying for is his fat to get cut of, and then you get the real stuff you want to eat.
I will politely say that you are dead wrong. While there was fat, I gave it to Devonviolet to render for the lard, so even the fat didn't go to waste. I already had quarts of rendered lard, so I didn't need it and was glad to share the bounty. I left a wide strip of fat on the pork chops, when I fried them, I wound up with more fat in the skillet than what I started with. That also didn't go to waste, I make "dog gravy" with meat grease and it gets mixed with their kibble.

Hanging weight on Wilbur was 506 pounds. We paid $100 for him, might have spent that much on corn, but I think it was less than that to feed him soured corn for a couple months to clean him up. Slaughter was $1.00 per pound, cut and wrap, vacuum sealed and a $85 kill fee which includes skinning and gutting.

So for between $700-$800 we had a freezer full of meat, plus we had to take some to a neighbor's freezer, we gave away a lot to friends and neighbors and there is still 9 or 10 packages of 4 pork chops each, the size of a dinner plate plus we took out 50 pounds of meat a month or so back and made stuffed smoked sausage.

I always keep the offal and can it for the dogs too.

So, am I afraid of big old boars? Nope!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well we went to our sunday night dinner and told our rooster story...I thought everyone would proud of me abnd give me a high five....it was the total opposite!! Everyone was shocked appalled that I could do such a thing. Vaugh’s...who I love dearly said she’ll never think of me as that nice sweet city girl that Chris brought up to date....I tried to explain..it’s still me...he just need to go!! But they kept feeling sorry for Chris having to sleep at night with me...jeepers people...he was a mean old rooster..we have a fram now...he’s not needed any longer, I fired him, the end. But of course the story got pretty detailed...the ladies thought they wanted to know, so Chris to odd them...I am a goodie shoo shoo. My friends can’t picture me this way, and are disturbed when the do... well, I showwed a bunch of bunn pictures to make up for it!:)
Well, I guess you learned...….your "normal" friends live in a different world than you do now. THIS is where you come to tell of your venturing into slaughtering a mean rooster and WE applaud your efforts and congratulate you! Your friends and family think you are some sort of cruel monster and belong in a slasher horror film. After all, EVERYONE knows meat comes from stores!

My own sister, who buys chicken breast and cooks it for her 7 little dogs, thinks I am a horrible person, called ME cruel to my face, and refuses to eat at our house because I might feed her one of my poor little animals instead of buying meat at the store.

Bottom line is, you have moved into a different world, one your previous friends cannot even begin to fathom. While you can move freely from your world into theirs, they cannot do likewise. They do not want to know the details, from shoveling sh!t to slaughter. All they want to know is that baby animals are cute and cuddly and Disney lives on your farm. While it is silly to perpetuate the outright lies that are popular in the movies, I'm afraid that you won't be able to shake up the "normal" people's distorted perception of what real life is.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What an ugly yucky day. Strong thunderstorms last night, thunder woke me up, shaking the house. HEAVY rain continuing this morning. Walked through an inch of water to feed the animals...and I live on a steep hill! Didn't even do a close inspection of the new kits, just glanced in the nest while I fed. Scattered all over the box.....not in a neat little pile. Concerned about nursing, but guess they'll snuggle to the warmth of Mama when she gets in?
Get your candya$$ back out there and gather the babies back up in a pile so they can stay warm.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee, @promiseacres I am going for my second cup. I slept ALL night with no 2 hour break listening to the dogs bark, and woke up right before 7 AM. It is COLD here by Texas standards. Everything is white with frost and it is so foggy that I can't see the road.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
How many goats do you have and what breeds? Obviously I’m brand new to all of this so, by the daily butt check, are you checking their bag to see it get bigger, and therefore a clue to time to go? Or the temp of the doe?

Have 15 mature & 2 babes that were just born Friday.
They are Saanen, Nubian &/or cross of two. Only one buck now, Nubian. Yep, butt check the bags that are filling and proceed to vulva & ligaments as the bags fill, depending on the doe. Most are ones that have kidded before and I'm pretty sure of their "next move" from experience with them. This year I do have 5 first fresheners. Except for the buck, at this point all of them were born here. So, all dairy.

I am planning to add meat goats back onto the farm later this Spring. Having raised Boer previously, I do know and like the breed. Meat goats sell well in this area and my plan is to raise a few for the sales. Yes, I will harvest one for my own freezer but, it is a farm income decision. I will not discontinue the dairy but, will possibly cut back doe numbers. I love my goat milk, cream, butter, cheese, soap, etc. Plus I have customers who do. I also sell eggs.

Get your candya$$ back out there and gather the babies back up in a pile so they can stay warm.

I agree. Better listen!! :lol:

It has been raining here, light stuff. Hope that's all I get. 65 now and they say up to 68ish. Pretty much stable temps for next 3 days, then down into low 40s...closer to normal for this time of year.

Last edited: