Coffee anyone ?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
first thing first duck dont worry about the stupid things your friends said they never faced down a mean rooster much less know they are treating animals much worse when they but meat and eggs from the store and don't get started on other goodies they get. nor do they realize how hard it is to kill an animal you have raised. i butcher two nice roosters yesterday because we have 10 roosters not including my two that are in with my hens thats 10 to many. well now eight, it's hard every time i tend to cry over the first one after the first its a bit easier because i am already upset so why not just keep it up kind mentality. most of my friends think i am crazy because how much work I add to myself they all have excepted my murderous hag ways but granted the raise chickens however they don't butch any of theirs lol. the sow vanished gonna have to see if we can hunt her down if not oh well we still have three piglets to eat. hubby really doesn't want to shot her with her possibly being pregnant but i figure if she stay on the property running aroubd she to dangerous for the kids and grandparents and she wild bacon. my mother cant believe i would say that baised off my history crying over dead lizards and such. my daughter is what we teasingly call her blood thirsty she demand i kill birds for chicken(duck or her favorite goose) nuggets, and daddy kill pigs for pork chops and bacon. we all understand were you coming from i think it would be harsher if you didn't use the meat or if you torment the animal prior to killing which is something we don't do. this turned into a long winded post just to tell you we understand lol. moving on nothing planned except house work and school my stomach is cranky i been burping since yesterday morning I am about to lose my mind.
baymule i had a question before i forget would you mind sending me the recipes you used for breakfast sausage and bacon?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used Williams sausage seasoning. I used to buy it locally, can't find it now, will probably have to call the company and order it. Or come up with my own recipe.

Bacon. I brined it in salt water ( half cup of non idiozed table salt) in the refrigerator for a few days, then washed it off, let it "air dry" in the refrigerator a day or two, then we smoked it low and slow in the pit over oak and hickory. Back in the refrigerator to chill, then sliced and vacuumed sealed. Best. Bacon. Ever.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have 15 mature & 2 babes that were just born Friday.
They are Saanen, Nubian &/or cross of two. Only one buck now, Nubian. Yep, butt check the bags that are filling and proceed to vulva & ligaments as the bags fill, depending on the doe. Most are ones that have kidded before and I'm pretty sure of their "next move" from experience with them. This year I do have 5 first fresheners. Except for the buck, at this point all of them were born here. So, all dairy.

I am planning to add meat goats back onto the farm later this Spring. Having raised Boer previously, I do know and like the breed. Meat goats sell well in this area and my plan is to raise a few for the sales. Yes, I will harvest one for my own freezer but, it is a farm income decision. I will not discontinue the dairy but, will possibly cut back doe numbers. I love my goat milk, cream, butter, cheese, soap, etc. Plus I have customers who do. I also sell eggs.

I agree. Better listen!! :lol:

It has been raining here, light stuff. Hope that's all I get. 65 now and they say up to 68ish. Pretty much stable temps for next 3 days, then down into low 40s...closer to normal for this time of year.
Ok, I’ll pick your brain if you don’t mind...my one doe is. Pygmy..I’m pretty sure this will be her first time at bat, just based on everything...her bag, teats, disposition...the other is a Nigerian Dwarf, and I know she’s done it bef, just don’t know how many. I’m not sure if you read my journal, but I rescued our goats so I have no history on them...just based on there bodies and reactions with me. So, with this in mind...what can I look for with these two, besides what I’ve read...do you have any insight just from, ummmm years of doing it yourself? Like will my newbie look different than the one thats freshened before? Thanks!

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee Promise. I'm having a couple more. ;)
Had to get out there early and do some shoveling so I could get the critters taken care of and bring in some more firewood. Dh is working and he had to get up early and clear the driveway to go to work. It's nice to have at least the preliminary chores taken care of so I can enjoy my coffee and hanging out woth the "herd" here.

@Jesusfreak101 , I laughed out loud at your "murderous hag" comment. 🤣

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m not sure if you read my journal, but I rescued our goats so I have no history on them

I did and am gong to reply to your questions there.

Another doe kidded twin bucks this morning. She didn't come out for hay at the trough, looked in and she was down just beginning to push. Both out & up within 30-35 minutes. I finished my chores, checked on all pastures....water, water!!

Brat 1.13 2buck (2).jpg

Friday's kids and mom are out and about today. She was a touch spazzed at first....kids were hopping and running...didn't come when called. LOL. They played, got tired, went back in barn & cuddled to nap.

1.13 born 1.1l b&d (2).jpg

1.13.20 napping (2).png

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
well, I showed a bunch of bunn pictures to make up for it!:)
I hope you aren't planning to tell them what is going to happen to the buns if you are raising them for the freezer.
BTW, what was for dinner that night? Impossible Burgers? Tofu? I'm sure they didn't eat any animal body parts.
Sounds like you need to make some new friends, maybe at the feed store or the auction house. And yeah, only talk to the old friends about your pets. Make sure you are all graphic about when the cat hacked up a big ugly hairball on your bed.

That's what I don't like about the Jan/Feb kids....we are all cold. Those are the days I'm out and unhappy.
You need to build your kidding barn attached to the house with house back door opening into the barn!

I put them into a pen I had planned to use for holding the roos to butcher.
:epYou aren't going to KILL them are you? And EAT them? :ep

So, am I afraid of big old boars? Nope!
Bay ain't askeered of ANYTHING!