Coffee anyone ?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh My Pants! That could have gone wrong quick! I took mine out on a huge lake in our little Jon boat once. Some guys in a big boat went speeding past us and their wake flooded our boat. Of course it was our first one and we didn't know to put the battery to the trolling motor in the middle. So the back end started to sink.... We managed to get over to the shoreline but were headed into some hanging tree branches. There was a spider in its web going straight towards my face so I leaned back a wee bit. Hubbs thought I was going to stand so bear hugged me. Next thing I know I'm under the boat, feet weighing me down bc I had my boots on, not a good experience. Thankfully I was able to stand up and my head broke the surface. But my phone, that he insisted I bring so we could keep track of time, was a goner.

Decades ago, new wife, myself and wife's best friend went to Lake Chicot in Louisiana (I lived in Lafayette back then) and rented a canoe, and had a good time, paddling around, in and amongst the big cypress trees. Didn't have a bit of trouble, but got the bug...the canoeing bug. A few weeks later (this was pre-computer age--so not much done in the way of research) wife and I went to Bogue Chitto & rented a canoe for the morning float down the river.about 8-10 miles I suppose.
Had a cooler, extra clothe, our good 35 mm cameras, and blanket aboard for a stop along the river for a secluded lunch and 'maybe' some extracurricular activity. We, as 'experts' (having been in a canoe exactly 1 time previous) laughed as other novices capcised and dumped themselves and their belongings out into the coolish spring fed river. All went well, even thru the first few frequent little rapids and tight spots until I got tired of paddling while sitting down on that low seat and decided I would be much more comfortable with most of my 6'4" frame perched up on our 48 qt Igloo cooler. About the 3rd paddle stroke from my new lofty vantage point, I dumped us and everything we had into the river................no lunch (or anything else) for us that day. Cooler floated downstream..lid came open of course, samiches, snacks, fruit and drinks headed Southeast toward Mississippi. Cameras, still on straps around our necks... wet, as the same canoeists we had just made fun of paddled smugly around us. (they did stop and help us gather our belongings.)

Undeterred, (as if we had a choice) we righted our vessel, and finished the trip, wiser and wetter.

Some years later, we moved to West Texas, and bought a 16' canoe and spent many many hours on the area lakes and rivers in some absolutely beautiful country and got very good at it. I think this is on a trip down Devil's River but may have been on the lower Pecos.
canoe4.jpg

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Decades ago, new wife, myself and wife's best friend went to Lake Chicot in Louisiana (I lived in Lafayette back then) and rented a canoe, and had a good time, paddling around, in and amongst the big cypress trees. Didn't have a bit of trouble, but got the bug...the canoeing bug. A few weeks later (this was pre-computer age--so not much done in the way of research) wife and I went to Bogue Chitto & rented a canoe for the morning float down the river.about 8-10 miles I suppose.
Had a cooler, extra clothe, our good 35 mm cameras, and blanket aboard for a stop along the river for a secluded lunch and 'maybe' some extracurricular activity. We, as 'experts' (having been in a canoe exactly 1 time previous) laughed as other novices capcised and dumped themselves and their belongings out into the coolish spring fed river. All went well, even thru the first few frequent little rapids and tight spots until I got tired of paddling while sitting down on that low seat and decided I would be much more comfortable with most of my 6'4" frame perched up on our 48 qt Igloo cooler. About the 3rd paddle stroke from my new lofty vantage point, I dumped us and everything we had into the river................no lunch (or anything else) for us that day. Cooler floated downstream..lid came open of course, samiches, snacks, fruit and drinks headed Southeast toward Mississippi. Cameras, still on straps around our necks... wet, as the same canoeists we had just made fun of paddled smugly around us. (they did stop and help us gather our belongings.)

Undeterred, (as if we had a choice) we righted our vessel, and finished the trip, wiser and wetter.

Some years later, we moved to West Texas, and bought a 16' canoe and spent many many hours on the area lakes and rivers in some absolutely beautiful country and got very good at it. I think this is on a trip down Devil's River but may have been on the lower Pecos.
View attachment 51797
Find any perls on those Texas rivers?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on! Haven't gotten the river yet this year.
Got 2 new trailer tires yesterday. So ready to go trail riding tomorrow. :celebrate
Got the part for the oven and the new dishwasher is here too.
Today DH is going tractor pulling. Taking DS. Girls and I are tattoeing bunnies, cleaning tack and trimming up the horses.

Last edited:

Latest posts