Coffee anyone ?

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I ran the names by my little handsome fireball.... best action from him came with the name Romeo. He kept nudging me. As I hadn't yet named the doe either I guess her name will be Juliet.

I'll have to start a name section in my critter notebook. It is kept on the bookshelf so unless I leave it laying around it should be easy to find!:lol:

:celebrateI came up with his name! Lol :) Very cute that his lady friend can be coordinated!

I keep my name list in the notes section of my iPhone. DH and I both also have an app called Evernote (free) that we pay a nominal fee for yearly to have our phones synced so that we can see what each other enters. It’s wonderful for keeping track of offspring, weights, heat cycles, vac schedules, and we even have a health section where I have each family members’ own list of allergies, meds, doctors, etc. (DD2’s is pretty intense. It allows DH to have everything at his fingertips with her.) I can also enter grocery lists and he can see them at the store and delete things as he puts them in the cart. I can put them in order by location in the store as I think of them. May be something to look into.

I have gotten more and more forgetful since DD2’s en utero diagnosis...:hu

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
So here is my stew recipe..... one bottle of amazing bbq sauce that the Hubbs threw away before I could figure out what it was, five short but thick carrots sliced even, about 10 of those baby red potatoes skinned and sliced, throw it in the crock pot with 2tbsp butter and some beef stock....set to high for about 45mins-an hour. Then.... add your VENISON tenderloin. Turn to low, let it cook for around 5 or 6 hours..... OMG it was Amazeballs!!!!! Loads of flavor, no added salt or pepper needed. So mad the Hubbs threw out that bbq bottle!
Sounds pretty good tho I am not a fan of 100% slow cooker roasting of meats even for stews.
No matter what type meat I use, if it is a large chunk, I prefer to season, flour and then brown it in a slightly oiled pan or skillet first...on all sides and as many edges as I can, and I mean brown it good.

There is a term (from Frawnce of course) that explains what this does. The Maillard Reaction.
Carmelization is similar, but not exactly the same phenomenon. Carmelization takes place at higher temperatures and is a completely different process.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

(I have been told by several accomplished farm & ranch cooks, that removing the meat from the stew after the usual cooking, and browning it as the last step is even better)

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good tho I am not a fan of 100% slow cooker roasting of meats even for stews.
No matter what type meat I use, if it is a large chunk, I prefer to season, flour and then brown it in a slightly oiled pan or skillet first...on all sides and as many edges as I can, and I mean brown it good.

There is a term (from Frawnce of course) that explains what this does. The Maillard Reaction.
Carmelization is similar, but not exactly the same phenomenon. Carmelization takes place at higher temperatures and is a completely different process.

(I have been told by several accomplished farm & ranch cooks, that removing the meat from the stew after the usual cooking, and browning it as the last step is even better)

I only use my slow cooker for 3 things: making tomato sauce, French onion soup and Pulled Pork. For my pulled pork I try to brown it first by grilling(charcoal) it first.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
But this late in season, will probably wait on sale or until Spring. For the amount of times I will need to mow grass in yard, I can borrow DDs unit. She sure used mine for past several years!
I would think the deals would be coming now, when they want to get rid of the summer use hardware.
Since DD used it so much, claim she caused the engine to blow and is responsible for half the replacement cost.

If I keep a list, when I need it I wouldn't be able to find the list because I wouldn't remember where I kept it....:confused:
Make a list of where you keep your lists.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am checking out prices of another engine for the one that blew on my riding mower yesterday....my 7PM end of day "gift". :heAt least had finished front yard. Sure didn't need this. It isn't a rush but considerations.... will look for a used, it's about 9 yr old unit and may just go with a whole new one now.

I have one that is 7 years old, and is still doing a fair job, tho I still need to replace a deck spindle that has a 'slightly' bent shaft. I figured I'd replace the whole mower in another year, but looking at how much they have increased in price since 2011, I may just keep repairing this one.

(I just mowed most of my lawn with the bush hog. Did a pretty good job but now I have to get out the small mower and cut around the well, flower beds and the bushes I couldn't get close to with the 6' mower. Sure was a lot easier cutting from the tractor than from the riding mower and a 72" swath helped a lot. Blades on a bush hog have to be SHARP to cut a lawn)

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:celebrateI came up with his name! Lol :) Very cute that his lady friend can be coordinated!

I keep my name list in the notes section of my iPhone. DH and I both also have an app called Evernote (free) that we pay a nominal fee for yearly to have our phones synced so that we can see what each other enters. It’s wonderful for keeping track of offspring, weights, heat cycles, vac schedules, and we even have a health section where I have each family members’ own list of allergies, meds, doctors, etc. (DD2’s is pretty intense. It allows DH to have everything at his fingertips with her.) I can also enter grocery lists and he can see them at the store and delete things as he puts them in the cart. I can put them in order by location in the store as I think of them. May be something to look into.

I have gotten more and more forgetful since DD2’s en utero diagnosis...:hu
That whole memory loss thing sucks....the Hubbs has it worse than me, but i hate to think of how it will progress as i age.....

Oh yes! Always take the meat out and separate it. This is so it can rest. I do that with chicken stew too. I don't break the crock out much, but my roasti g pan finally had to be laid to rest.... I'm just too cheap to buy a new one (maybe I'll get one from Santa).......