Coffee anyone ?

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. It is interesting to know about hay prices in other states. We weren't so prepared last summer to get hay due to DH's surgery in July. He bartered for 5 or 6 round bales (4x5) around end of July and those lasted until about now. Next year we are going to buy them as the hay is being baled.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
:ep holy s***!
Is that the norm around this time of year?
Why is it so much higher in TX compared to up here? I'd think that we have to pay more because we NEED hay around here in the winter time, there's no grass to eat at all, and growing season is so much shorter.
Not the norm here, for this time of year, but the norm for this year.
Abnormal supply and demand, with not much supply available.

It was too wet to get into the fields to cut and bale very much, and there is a huge market for hay here.

There's currently nearly 12,000,000 cows (beef/dairy/mommas, calves, steers, and bulls) in Texas, 400,000 horses, and 890,000 sheep and goats. That's a lot of hay needed for a state that has a big % of it's land located in the arid and semi-arid western half where it's hard to grow anything at all even in good years.
I'm glad I pulled the trigger and bought 1st cutting hay, since there was very little 2nd cut and no 3rd cut.

We see the same thing happen here in drought years. Rice straw round bales were going for$50+/bale in 2011 and that has almost zero nutritional value.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
About to head out and do morning chores. 44° and the radar shows the rain approaching. Should be here in about an hour or two. Looked out the window and Blackie has her 2 kids out in the pen with her. At a day old, I doubt they can get back inside the shelter by themselves but they are moving around quite well.