Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have lived without AC before. As kids, we didn't have AC, we had an attic fan. When we finally did get AC, it was a window unit for Daddy because he worked nights and needed to be cool so he could sleep during the day. I never lived with central heat and air until I left home and rented an apartment. As an adult, I lived many times with no AC. For those nights when I was laying there, sweat trickling down, miserable and hot, I spray misted the bed sheets and turned the fan on full blast. The evaporation of the water, coupled with the fan, would actually get cold and off to sleep I went.

While I can live with no AC and I have lived with no AC, even when temps hit above 100*F, I sure don't want to now.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree @Mini Horses it's the humidity that makes the AC much needed! It's so humid here too...yesterday was unbelievable...not even the tiniest breeze outside.
I appreciate everyone's ideas :) You guys are very helpful!

Gotta run to Ace today to pick up some wire for baby-savers and nesting boxes. Then it's time to start making more boxes and get things ready for all my upcoming Angora litters!
I have 4 does all due with their first litters on the 5th...so exciting! :weee

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@AmberLops, will the heat affect the rabbits much? I know my chickens stand panting and not even interested in laying eggs. I get 6-8 not 20-24 nowdays. They can take the cold better and, if lights added, lay nicely in our winters. Alas, they have shade and fans in the barns, no AC. :D

Maybe you will get a litter on the 4th! Fireworks for sure!

@Baymule I sure had many years with no AC as a kid. In fact, our fans were folded, hand held. :lol: But I lived through it just fine. You learn to cope. When parents & I moved to VA, we had electric and a couple fans from the landlord. What a revolution that was!:D Played a lot of board games and I was really good at cards from a young age. Plus puzzles! I still love puzzles.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
@AmberLops, will the heat affect the rabbits much? I know my chickens stand panting and not even interested in laying eggs. I get 6-8 not 20-24 nowdays. They can take the cold better and, if lights added, lay nicely in our winters. Alas, they have shade and fans in the barns, no AC. :D

Maybe you will get a litter on the 4th! Fireworks for sure!

@Baymule I sure had many years with no AC as a kid. In fact, our fans were folded, hand held. :lol: But I lived through it just fine. You learn to cope. When parents & I moved to VA, we had electric and a couple fans from the landlord. What a revolution that was!:D Played a lot of board games and I was really good at cards from a young age. Plus puzzles! I still love puzzles.
It does affect the rabbits...but I have 3 fans set up in the rabbitry, so It's cooler in there than it is in the house right now! Plus they have tons of frozen water bottles in their cages.
They have no interest in breeding in this hot weather. I'll be lucky to see another litter born before September! And I would love babies born on the 4th! :yesss:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when it was not called air conditioning..it was called "Refrigerated Air".
A postcard from the 50s for a Kerrville Tx motel:
refrigerated air.jpg

The term has now made a comeback, and refers to air conditioning in which compressor, the condensor and evaporator are housed in one unit outside your home or business...much like a giant window unit instead of having a condensor/compressor outside and the evap and air handler inside like most central units do.

I think the first air conditioning I was in was the Bronson Movie theater Baytown Tex and the sign out front proudly proclaimed "refrigerated air'.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my gosh - I remember the Brunson well. Saturday morning kid movies - Jr. Mints and/or popcorn! What else was a kid to do on Texas Ave in Baytown?

7a0756ed9652ec58e479441f7d1f9065.jpg

photo credit: Google
It's still there you know. The city bought it well over a decade ago and turned into a historical/visitors information building and offices. They had the sign taken down and redone last year.

Christmas..in July.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
@AmberLops, have you tried looking for a used one on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace? You might be able to find one that's inexpensive.
I looked on craigslist but almost all the ones I saw were broken in some way!
And I don't do facebook :hu So not sure about there!
By the time my AC is fixed i'll be used to this heat! It got to 108 inside today...I'll probably be cold when it's 80 :lol: