Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to get 6 chicks every spring, by fall they were laying. I slaughtered hens in their second molt. So at times I had 18 hens, but in winter I had 12. Rotating in the new and rotating out the old worked for me and I had eggs all year around. I may get back to doing that, I have too many chickens!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought I would fall off the chair........
If you make it full strength (per the original recipe), I would be surprised if you didn't fall off your chair!

Oh how I miss fresh eggs. Ours have just stopped laying. 16 chickens and I haven't had any eggs from them in a month. Bunch of freeloaders I tell ya!!! Probably going to order a different breed from the hatchery this spring, Not sure what kind yet though.
How old are they? I've never had girls lay in the late fall/early winter after their first year as I don't light the coop. Mine have a "forever home" so I figure not to burn them out with year round laying. I have 8 pullets that were hatched (Meyer Hatchery) 6 months ago, getting eggs from 2, maybe 3 of them. The others need to get on the nest!

It was an adoption agency, you know, a place full of children. Duh.

5000 children/20 years=250 children per year/12 months=20.8 children a month
Your math is off. But 20.8? How in the world did she kidnap a .8 child? I find that disturbing.
Some kids are younger therefore shorter so only count as .8??

TWENTY years??? I was guessing 5ish years based on the "during the Depression" time frame.
Didn't realize it was an adoption agency, I wonder how many adopters had an inkling these kids weren't legally adoptable. And what were they told? Mom and Dad died (must have been a constant "parade" to the grave yard)? Gave them up because they couldn't afford to feed them? That might have worked in 1930 but 1945? Gullible or implicated in the scheme I guess.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh how I miss fresh eggs. Ours have just stopped laying. 16 chickens and I haven't had any eggs from them in a month. Bunch of freeloaders I tell ya!!! Probably going to order a different breed from the hatchery this spring, Not sure what kind yet though.
If mine aren't laying when they should be... I often find it is because they have parasites.

Right now I am not getting eggs... but I did treat them in the fall for parasites.... it is just my flock is way too old, and the few pullets that I kept, are still too young, and I have no light to help them start up.

So... I bought eggs again today... the absolute least expensive eggs... 1 dozen medium cage reared... $2.60

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've put a light on chickens before. It worked to get them started back to laying after they molted. I figured they needed the time off to grow in new feathers, but waiting months after that for spring? Uh, no. I don't have any lit up now, but when I build my permanent coop and run, I will have electricity run to it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee. I need to rustle up some breakfast. No idea what, sometimes I go blank at mealtime.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
On 2nd cup and just ate a piece of cake. :yesss: Tasted good, not even good for me. So what? I enjoyed it.

28 at get up --little crust of ice on water tubs here & there, no biggie. Ssun is out and warming to mid 50s. Probably will be nice out. My job is inside so I won't know. That's ok.

Thought I'd be off 2 days coming week but, jumped on a job that was offered, instead....it will allow me to relax in January. Worth it! It doesn't take a lot to make me happy. :D Jan and Feb are when we "may" get the snow or extreme cold -- for here. I'm not a fan of either, so knowing I can stay home is nice. Whatever I was going to do can wait another week. LOL

It's time for many of us to be looking toward Spring gardens. I know it's that time for me. Going through and sorting seed. You never know -- may not be "something" I want within these hundreds of packs of seed :thIn fact, there WAS and I ordered, it arrived last week. I made a list....will cross off as I find.