Coffee anyone ?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope you aren't planning to tell them what is going to happen to the buns if you are raising them for the freezer.
BTW, what was for dinner that night? Impossible Burgers? Tofu? I'm sure they didn't eat any animal body parts.
Sounds like you need to make some new friends, maybe at the feed store or the auction house. And yeah, only talk to the old friends about your pets. Make sure you are all graphic about when the cat hacked up a big ugly hairball on your bed.

You need to build your kidding barn attached to the house with house back door opening into the barn!

:epYou aren't going to KILL them are you? And EAT them? :ep

Bay ain't askeered of ANYTHING!
Yes, I learned my lesson..no more farm talk unfits very happy baby stories! Probably not even to yo7 guys unless I need help...besides most of the story of the chasing Spike was dramatized for fun....?? None of my goats are being eaten...that I will know of.....??

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to build your kidding barn attached to the house with house back door opening into the barn!

I's only about 200' and has electric. I could use a heater.....AND I will admit to having used my attached garage. Mostly, unless way below freezing, extra straw, a blanket, after a good towel dry. Yeah....warm is nicer. I don't like the cold, they do better.

:epYou aren't going to KILL them are you? And EAT them?

I plead -- Guilty!! (Don't tell anyone, OK? I'd be a murdering hag! ) You know how women are!!!!!!!

This whole thing brings up the 3 ladies behind me at the auction who thought it was HORRID that these calves were taken from their moms. And WHY do this to cute little goats -- to get more money when friendly? Yeah, I had to explain that "babies" were ONLY there to get the milk flowing. The cows/goats had a job and the offspring were collateral damage. I explained they got the milk, only via bottle -- since you can't use the milk otherwise! AND if not milked it could cause great damage to the cows who gave 5-6 gal and the calf could not ever drink that much. (Holsteins from a reg herd, a dairy) Talked mastitis, inflammation, loss of udder quarters, death, etc. Further that ALL were removed not just the boys. They got a new perspective. By the way, the calves were in really good shape, halter broke and handled, weaned & on solid feed.

They just don't know. :idunno

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
lmao mini your funny your both duties have been fulfilled and good thing you didn't explain what happens to some auction animals lol. you know we would probably have one of the best stares ever if everyone here took over a state lol.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I's only about 200' and has electric. I could use a heater.....AND I will admit to having used my attached garage. Mostly, unless way below freezing, extra straw, a blanket, after a good towel dry. Yeah....warm is nicer. I don't like the cold, they do better.

I plead -- Guilty!! (Don't tell anyone, OK? I'd be a murdering hag! ) You know how women are!!!!!!!

This whole thing brings up the 3 ladies behind me at the auction who thought it was HORRID that these calves were taken from their moms. And WHY do this to cute little goats -- to get more money when friendly? Yeah, I had to explain that "babies" were ONLY there to get the milk flowing. The cows/goats had a job and the offspring were collateral damage. I explained they got the milk, only via bottle -- since you can't use the milk otherwise! AND if not milked it could cause great damage to the cows who gave 5-6 gal and the calf could not ever drink that much. (Holsteins from a reg herd, a dairy) Talked mastitis, inflammation, loss of udder quarters, death, etc. Further that ALL were removed not just the boys. They got a new perspective. By the way, the calves were in really good shape, halter broke and handled, weaned & on solid feed.

They just don't know. :idunno
I’ll admit...we have no clue when we go and see the calves there...my farmer friend$ said it cheaper to shoot th3 bull calves ...than take them to auction...I know of saw what h3 meant with the prices....it is sad though to see a young animal go after all the work that goes into it all...plus...I just love animals and, even a# a farmer now, still wish they could all live...but, i get it

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Duckfarmerpa1 ; Somewhere I spelled it out why farmers were disposing of their bull calves rather than have it cost them to sell them. I don't have a clue how to find it. @Mini Horses so well explained it to someone who has no clue. If the calves were weaned, halterbroke and on grain then they didn't need the milk. Has anyone ever asked these clueless people how long they breast fed their children.... or if not how long they were on bottles? Tried to explain that babies get weaned off the teat and that it is part of nature. I think she did a bang up job of trying to explain all that to them. I'll bet these women might just give it a little second thought before they start in on "how terrible" this or that practice is in the future. One can only hope.

Duckling and Spider

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
03FA1EC9-E991-4071-A554-33A400C48A2C.jpeg