Coffee anyone ?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
The snow is all melted away with the rain and every thing is nice and slushy.
I should go back out and work on convincing the rabbits to breed... :duc our newest MR buck has decided he needs to attack the does when they scamper away rather than breed them... last year the new buck was shooting blanks.... so most are getting bred back to our original guy, related or not. I did have a Velveteen lop doe lift for a buck yesterday!!! And have at least 1 MR doe due around Feb 1. I'm sure winter will hit in full force about that time.
Have you had weird results using related rabbits? I have a really nice young buck this year, but he’s related to 2 does....

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, Chris just back a bit ago from plowing the second time for The day. It took 2 hrs each time to do all the rental units..we have 35 . He’s whooped. We got at least 8” maybe more, and where it drifts you can barely walk to the barn...carrying water was tough. It started raining about 2 hours ago, making a nice crust of ice on top of everything. Ugh. My son is coming tomorrow morning for his last visit before he leaves to go back to college so I have to get the chores down before dawn....fun in the these conditions

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
No.... have done 1/2 siblings, father to daughter, son to mother, line breeding.

If it works well for you, they call it "line breeding." If it doesn't work out well, they call it "inbreeding." It's exactly the same thing - breeding related individuals together. There's no better way to get traits established in a line, but that applies both to things you want to see, and things that you don't, and you can't always pick and choose which comes out. If there's something nasty running around in a bloodline (like poor immune function), the more closely related two individuals are, the more likely that breeding them together will result in some offspring that have that problem - or, if there is some particularly desirable trait, that's more likely to show up in some of the offspring, too. The trick is to cull ruthlessly, only selecting animals that have the good traits that you are looking for - and to actually have something in particular that you are looking for, so you know when you've achieved your goal.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee, and donuts too!
No new snow fell last night :yesss: and it's about 33 so the roof is dripping. Hopefully this warmth will get the snow to slide off the trees. We've got some broken limbs. Rain is forecast next week, which I don't like, but if it counts towards the 200" of snow they said we'd get this year I'll take it and shut up.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
1000 pages on the "Coffee " thread.... Neat. Chilly but mostly sunny out. Pretty breezy here after the rain and all yesterday. Several days in the 30's and 40's and maybe 50's by the end of the week. Have a nice Sunday