Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just caught up. I'm off today, on call Monday, then 12 hour shifts Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It's hard work, people. We are not only under lockdown, NO visitors, but the residents are confined to their rooms, we even take their meals to them. Try telling that to a chronic wanderer whose mental capacity has flown the coop! Next week we will begin taking each other's temperatures at the beginning and ending of each shift. It is a constant state of crazy.

Lots of alerts, over 90, I'll have to catch up later, got animals to feed!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule Oh, sorry about the "learning curve" of going back to work. It's that way for me when I've been slack for most of a couple months in winter. Hard to get back into the swing of it. Then, you have some "compromiseds" to work with. Enjoy your day at home! I know you are busy but, how's Sentry?

It's sunny out today -- good, because dreary & spitting rain all day yesterday was not pretty. It also fouled my plans of work here. Sure makes the grass grow -- that's good. Today I'm hoping for better. Third day with a sore back but, getting better! I'll take a walk and that should finish it, after stretches and aleve this morning. This is not my norm, so that's annoying also. LOL Not my best weekend at home.

Loaded with milk. Guess it will be cheese making tonight. These are the days when I think "downsize". But, I love my girls. Since I let them raise their kids, I find milking some helps keep the supply in full swing. Then, when kids wean, I have good production, not the slowdown from weaning and not milking them. All dairy herd. This isn't needed with the meat breeds or simply pets. It does take more feed to do this. Yes, knew in beginning and it's ok.

Come to think of it, unloading that pick-up full of 50# bags is what aggrevated the back. So be it. Maybe a few more bags will undo it. :D Used more back than leg. Low, below waist tight, tight, tight.

I'm just moving along like there was no CV-19 issues out there....for me, there isn't. Hope some more you can feel that way, also. I need to talk GARDEN, not virus! :old Come on guys, it's that time of year to plant (well, for some)….at least starting plants. Don't let the other hype consume you. You will need this garden for your sanity as well as the food it provides.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need to talk GARDEN,

Sunny day today, once again. Not the typical March, whatever that is any more, lol.
I walked around the garden today. The snow is gone except for the southwest corner where it gets shade this time of year.
Sure would love some watermelons this year, and a garden friend sent me some Saskatchewan Cream seeds to try. Thinking a black plastic mulch should be my friend this summer, we just have too short and cool a season for regular melons.
My tomatoes and pepper starts are doing good. This is day 2 of all day outside hardening off for them. Too soon really since they can't go out till the third week of May, but what the heck. Yesterday was their first day of all day sun camp, but that was not intentional, I just forgot about them, haha. They seem to have forgiven me.

I think I have plenty of Painted Mtn. corn stashed for our cornbread supply so may skip planting that this year. Made some cornbread with it last night and dh and I devoured the whole pan! :hide

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on.
@thistlebloom you need to post a photo of your corn... it sounds pretty.

Thanks for the coffee!
Here's a picture of some of the variation you get with Painted Mtn. It's so much fun to husk.

20190928_121057(1).jpg

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had been thinking about what corn to plant those look awesome i was think of strawberry popping corn, and a sweet corn , now i need a corn meal one and that looks awesome

I have fresh seed from last year that I'm willing to share. It's a mix of @baymules Texas grown seed and my Idaho grown seed. We swapped to broaden the genetics. I can send 50 seeds to anyone who's interested.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you use any for fresh eating? It is a dent corn but that looks prime & fresh shucked. I have a few of the lovely colored dents and have yet to plant. They bring good $$ at Fall sales for dried arrangements. Many don't realize they are for eating. LOL Only enjoying visually. Which is easy!! They are lovely.

Been up a while. It's light and I need to do chores and go to work. Yep, some stores are still open. Didn't get the cheese made last night, hope to tonight. By then, I'll have another 1.5-2gal!! Frig is full.

One of my does kidded Sun evening about 7: Twin doelings!! Good girl! A FF at 3 y/o....she just never seemed to catch but, this year Romeo decided to change that! Thank you! She's a bulky doe, out of a mini nub. Kids are lovely dark tan...healthy and family is doing well. 17 kids so far, 7 girls. I have another big girl about ready to drop....probably by weekend...?? At least twins.

Enjoy your day!! I need to go milk & feed.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee! Already checked no bunnies... :( maybe today we cleaned cages yesterday and weighed most the bunnies, not the two due so it was a busy day in the rabbit shed. Then got horses hooves trimmed. Original appointment was this morning but as of midnight tonight Indiana is on mandatory lockdown for 2 weeks. So we adjusted so my farrier could do others today. The big horses have scratches...ugh too much mud! Duke only got 3 hooves trimmed. The others were sore but behaved.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have fresh seed from last year that I'm willing to share. It's a mix of @baymules Texas grown seed and my Idaho grown seed. We swapped to broaden the genetics. I can send 50 seeds to anyone who's interested.
Really? Can I pm you with my address..you wouldnt mind? Wow, that’s awesome!!