Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Upper 80s here....sun in & out. I'll take it! :D Weather is warmer & decent rain every few days sure has the grass coming in. I can use that! Tired of paying for hay. Just need a break from it -- both the paying, loading, unloading, hauling to feed, ALL of it!

Things are moving along nicely -- life is good.

Coffee was excellent -- even all by myself. Oh, cat had 4 kittens before daybreak.....another mouser crew begins life.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
In a day or two -- when she stops growling!

She's not one to allow handling of herself, a little feralish. So I don't want to risk her moving them. But, I hope to handle them so they will be tame(r)!. 4 tiny greys or grey tabby?

Right now, I have 8 momma does in a little area to help clean and enjoy the nice clover & vetch growing there. Vetch is such a powerhouse for them! Left the kids in their field...to sleep & graze. The new moms from this week are not out there, they are "home with the kids". LOL They got a bunch of hay. There will be a kid feeding frenzy when the does go back to their field for the night! So cute to watch....just don't get in their way!

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol that's no lie. My doelings we weaning are making life difficult. I am going to be hang a gate to the field this week to prevent the brats (this time mama) break in through the temporary fence. Apparently the electric fence in that area is to high. Need a new plan.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Came in from a "check" on everyone....it's 78 out there. The goats are out laying in the pasture, near the barn....because it's cooler! Moms with new kids are inside. It is so amazing to actually watch herd dynamics and the "knowing" instinctively of the does. Same with the horses, & most animals, if you take the time to see what's happening. A group of kids will pile up to sleep....one or two moms will hang real close, others will wander further to graze. Let just one babe cry out and you have a stampede. They definitely know their own, it's smell and sound. They will call to them. It is so amazing to see. 60 yrs watching & still in awe of it.

I have a big ole RIR hen whose decided she's gonna set!! So, I will set up a box for her, let her settle in it, then give her eggs and start the countdown. Should have 3 or 4 more soon, based on prior years. With 14 new pullets laying this year, I can "afford" to let a few go broody. Most are my older hens anyway.