Coffee anyone ?

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Planting this Painted Mountain corn this year

Is this the first time you've grown it?
I've been planting it for several years now and it makes excellent corn bread. It's our favorite. Definitely not just a decorative or feed corn. I want to try parching some next time I grow it.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on.
Sounds like a good decision @Baymule my husband's grandparents moved to a retirement community about 10 days before the lock down. Intially they were in separate "areas" his grandmother in a memory care part, his grandfather in an apartment style area. With changes the lock down brought it wasn't working and now both are in the memory care, together. Am so very grateful for the staff whom saw the problem and made changes very quickly.
We had snow flurries yesterday afternoon.... :smack less wind today so need to get motivation to get out there and work on those flower beds.
Happy Good Friday.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Snow flurries? Doesn't the weather know that spring is here? LOL Been up since 3 AM, husband too. What the devil is wrong with us? Worked all our lives, don't live by the alarm clock anymore, worked hard in the garden yesterday and will again today--and we sleep a few hours?

Thanks for the coffee, it is appreciated. Direct TV is off, the satellite is not talking to the TV. The service center is not talking to me due to Covid 19. Don't these dummies know that people are on lockdown and watching TV to get the latest on Covid 19 is our morbid entertainment? :barnieI have to sign in on the internet to get anything done. DD does the cell phones, AT&T, I don't want to create new sign in, so will wait until a decent hour to text asking for the sign in information.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is this the first time you've grown it?

Yep. First time for the Painted Mountain corn. I've heard it's a good dent corn for cornmeal but, no grinder.. Any good in milk stage cooked? I'd think grilled ears would be good.

Same problem here, Bay. I was up at 4:40 & couldn't get back to sleep after only a few hours of sleep. Nap time late day will probably happen, if I sit down after getting home from work . LOL Totally messes me up.

Coffee is nice this AM...anyone want some, go for it! Weather is lovely for today and all weekend. Hope I make it thru my 2 days of gardening coming up :lol: You know, it's a lot bigger when you walk in there than when you just look from the back porch. Wish I could wiggle my nose and make the picture of wonderful plants all growing move from my head to my plot, without the work. :hide

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_2885.JPG
Spring in Indiana... LOL

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep. First time for the Painted Mountain corn. I've heard it's a good dent corn for cornmeal but, no grinder.. Any good in milk stage cooked? I'd think grilled ears would be good.

I don't have a grinder either. A friend on TEG gave us all a good tip on using a blender so that's the way I've always done it and it works great. I soak a cup or two overnight, drain the water off and put the drained corn in the blender with all the liquid ingredients for the corn bread. Blend on high until it looks like it's ground up fine, then add to my dry ingredients and bake.
A lot of times I'll soak extra and freeze it after draining so I have it on hand and ready. (My dinner planning generally starts when it's dinner time, lol)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have a grinder either. A friend on TEG gave us all a good tip on using a blender so that's the way I've always done it and it works great. I soak a cup or two overnight, drain the water off and put the drained corn in the blender with all the liquid ingredients for the corn bread. Blend on high until it looks like it's ground up fine, then add to my dry ingredients and bake.
A lot of times I'll soak extra and freeze it after draining so I have it on hand and ready. (My dinner planning generally starts when it's dinner time, lol)
Give her your grandmothers recipe.