Coffee anyone ?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beautiful, cooler and NO HUMIDITY today. My son left nearly a 1/2 acre while mowing yesterday, said there was a Hen Turkey with about 15 little bitty baby turkeys that were probably only a couple days old. Said they needed some of the hay to hide in. It will get cut with the second cutting....
Got about 40 acres on the ground, all the wheat cover crop, and the first of the orchard grass; all cut Sat aft. Not cutting anymore, showers etc forecast to come in by Thursday, so this is all we will be able to get dry and up through Wed eve....

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Happy Monday. Coffee is on.
Baling day. Yesterday DH tedded the hay, we cleaned up the crib alley where the hay was stored and will be stored. Plus we can now drive completely through it! So now if we get too tired we don't have to get it stacked right away. :celebrate the new field is looking green.
Got some pea trellis up, we really need to get weeding in the garden. Ugh. Oh and Jocelyn needs to finish school. I guess there's time. DH mentioned taking time off soon to start on the house. :fl

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Morning all! another crazy week at happyquack, starting to think we should have gone with the other name we wanted for the farm "Straightjacket Acres", we still might have to change the name based on this last week. Our only truck went out- over heated on the mountain- turns out the radiator seal was rotted, jimmy used a styrofoam cup to seal it back up to get home and spent the next two days running compression checks and going through the whole truck turns out its a whole in the piston- so we couldn't do our water runs and were in a heatwave.
Did you know duck water turns red from the heat? Something to do with the bacteria and algae- so were changing the water 3 times a day in each pool- which means more water runs which means we had to buy another truck- friends showed up brought us two loads of water and a case of beer- we gave them a pig for their kindness since they drove hour and half to bring us water. Another neighbor pulled up at midnight that night with a ford f 250 on a trailer and told us we can make payments to him, thank god for good folks cause I was already calling around to see who could take our animals if we couldn't do water runs for them.
So were back up and running, better than before actually cause we also found replacement motors for our other two vehicles so this was truly a blessing four ways from christmas! Hope everyones week is that awesome! Dont forget- just when things look the worst- a friend and neighbor can show you why humanity is still awesome!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Would be great if everyone could be as generous and kind. Pay it forward! You were blessed with great friends!

Today I went to my DGDs high school graduation….such as it was...with all the distancing stuff. But I give great credit to the school/County for trying to make it more than just virtual.

So, took my tablet and got some video & stills. WOW -- stills I could send, video took me a while to figure out. :idunno

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on. 100 bales in the crib, and at least 100 more to go for this cutting. Looks like a good first cutting. Was hoping to get it all done but DH had to work and we didn't start until 6. Fortunately no rain predicted until tomorrow, though it's supposed to get to 90° F. I like bucking bales at 70... but should be dried. Our 75# son stayed and assisted on the wagon the whole time. He's becoming useful. :p
I also got some tilling done in the garden, the aisles. We'll do more weeding this morning. Letting kids sleep this morning, it was 11 before we got in bed.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee PA. We worked in the garden yesterday, BJ pulled up two 32’ rows of English peas, and was done. He doesn’t do bend over stuff very well but I was happy for his help. I hit the garden early, took a lunch break, then back at it until 4 PM. I slept real well. LOL back to the garden today. I’m cleaning up a weedy patch to plant purple hull peas.
You got a lot done! Getting the hay in is a lot of hard work, but it sure is satisfying to have hay in the barn.

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
morning, coffee is good. Had to separate one of my geese yesterday. I was watching one of my peacocks show off for the ladies when I saw my youngest male peacock over by the goose nesting boxes pecking at my poor girl as she sat on her eggs. I know peacocks like to go for eyes of other birds so I swooped her up grabbed her eggs and put her and her nesting box in with some of my sweetest ducks so she could be left alone and feel safe while she tends to her nest. Moved the quail over yesterday. Basic stuff all over the farm. Its nice to have a simple day once in a while here. This morning Im hoping to make a new friend and sell a pig. Hope everyone has an awesome day!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@The_V's I see you raise a lot of bird types.....a market for them where you are? Another question -- any reason you chose the desert for your farm? It has it's own rules. LOL

@promiseacres good job on the hay. I'm sure it will be so much easier when you can actually LIVE AT the new farm. You got more done than I in the garden, for weed control. My kids used to help -- then they grew up!

Today it's 70 but a brisk breeze makes it cooler. Long sleeves & I'm ok. Wanted to do a few transplants but not in this as the wind just takes a toll. Maybe tonight.

Guess the in progress fence replacement will get my attention for a while. Seems never ending. Been here 20 yrs & some fence was used when it went up. Better get back out there.

Enjoy your day :frow